1901 O Barber Dime & Bluebird of HAPPINESS!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
04-02-2016, 07:03 PM
1901 O Barber Dime & Bluebird of HAPPINESS!
Quote this message in a reply
Went out to what are now SWAMPS today because of all the rain we've had over the last week. Two areas I've covered before with some luck in one with the second area being so large it's hard to define where to go next. First hit was in area 1. Was out there trying to see if I could pull up some silver coins as I've gotten about 10 from that section of woods. Got this real strong tight signal reading 4-31, 3-31, 9-31 but not consistent on digital, winner of a high tone though and about 4 feet from a HUMUNGOUS maple tree IN THE ROOTS! After about ten minutes of trying to figure out how to get around all these monstrous roots, finally had success and it turned out to be a silver brooch instead of the usual WINE BOTTLE CAP! This is an interesting piece because there are Hallmarks on it. From what I've been able to find, it's Sheffield, England (the Crown) 1787 (the script letter T) and .925 silver (The Lion)! This sucker was down a good 10 inches below some real nasty roots. I almost gave up on it because the small hole I was able to make was filling with water. If any of you guys have any better idea on the hallmarks, shout out please. This was found out in the middle of a very heavily wooded area and I can't even imagine how it got there.

Still having some decent weather before a predicted snowstorm rolled in, I decided to go and do the other area which is South of the above area with a short walk. I've been in there before without much luck at all but today I decided to stay along the treeline about 5 to 20 feet in. As it started snowing/sleeting about a half hour later I hit this strong 3-29, 4-29 and was able to get a lock on 4-29 with a little circling around the spot. This was a small plateau just above a stream in some dense 6" diameter trees. And here we go again with root city. After about 12 minutes of some real nasty swearing, I finally popped out the 1901 O Barber dime which was at about 7 inches down amongst some very spidery and interwoven roots. This one surprised me as I've been through the area many times with not much of anything. And I found a shotgun headstamp about 1 foot away afterward, 4 inches down. She's damaged and not from me! Looks like the thing took a ding somewhere, so much so that the STATES is worn off about the same area on the other side. If it was an S, well that's a horse of a different color. As it is, it's unusual for this area. Don't see too many O's around here.

And I came home sloppy, muddy and wet and enjoyed every bit of it!!

Have fun Out There and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
04-02-2016, 08:10 PM
RE: 1901 O Barber Dime & Bluebird of HAPPINESS!
Great finds , I really like the brooch and a barber is always a welcome sight in the hole.
Pat

Digsit, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Feb 2016.
Remember for the good of the hobby It is better to ask for permission than to beg for forgiveness.
04-02-2016, 08:31 PM
Once again just a superb job ODF.

I have 3 best friends. Their names are Ace 350 , AT Pro ,  and a Fisher F 75 but I like people too.
04-02-2016, 08:41 PM
Sweet mint mark barber Ed! And the brooch is killer too! Keep it up man!YesYes

Zachbl92, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum and detectorist since Nov 2015.
Garret At Pro(12x13, 8.5x11, 5x8, 4.5") Garret At Pinpointer, GG original headphones, Predator Piranha/Little Eagle T shovel, Lesche hand digger.
Button Count FTY: Lost count
04-02-2016, 09:21 PM
Nice finds Ed = love the pin/broach Yes

Barber dime ain't bad either Big Grin

BeerBeer

MichiganRelicHunter, proud to be a digger since 1977
04-02-2016, 09:48 PM
Sweet deal ED. Both are great finds but that pin takes the cake. Happy

Detecting is more than a hobby, it is a passion
04-03-2016, 08:19 AM
(04-02-2016 07:03 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote:  Went out to what are now SWAMPS today because of all the rain we've had over the last week. Two areas I've covered before with some luck in one with the second area being so large it's hard to define where to go next. First hit was in area 1. Was out there trying to see if I could pull up some silver coins as I've gotten about 10 from that section of woods. Got this real strong tight signal reading 4-31, 3-31, 9-31 but not consistent on digital, winner of a high tone though and about 4 feet from a HUMUNGOUS maple tree IN THE ROOTS! After about ten minutes of trying to figure out how to get around all these monstrous roots, finally had success and it turned out to be a silver brooch instead of the usual WINE BOTTLE CAP! This is an interesting piece because there are Hallmarks on it. From what I've been able to find, it's Sheffield, England (the Crown) 1787 (the script letter T) and .925 silver (The Lion)! This sucker was down a good 10 inches below some real nasty roots. I almost gave up on it because the small hole I was able to make was filling with water. If any of you guys have any better idea on the hallmarks, shout out please. This was found out in the middle of a very heavily wooded area and I can't even imagine how it got there.

Still having some decent weather before a predicted snowstorm rolled in, I decided to go and do the other area which is South of the above area with a short walk. I've been in there before without much luck at all but today I decided to stay along the treeline about 5 to 20 feet in. As it started snowing/sleeting about a half hour later I hit this strong 3-29,  4-29 and was able to get a lock on 4-29 with a little circling around the spot. This was a small plateau just above a stream in some dense 6" diameter trees. And here we go again with root city. After about 12 minutes of some real nasty swearing, I finally popped out the 1901 O Barber dime which was at about 7 inches down amongst some very spidery and interwoven roots. This one surprised me as I've been through the area many times with not much of anything. And I found a shotgun headstamp about 1 foot away afterward, 4 inches down. She's damaged and not from me! Looks like the thing took a ding somewhere, so much so that the STATES is worn off about the same area on the other side. If it was an S, well that's a horse of a different color. As it is, it's unusual for this area. Don't see too many O's around here.

And I came home sloppy, muddy and wet and enjoyed every bit of it!!

Have fun Out There and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed

Nice silvers! Gl and hh!

Thevipermc, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Dec 2015, swinging a garrett ace 200i
04-03-2016, 10:34 AM
Great digs Ed. I remember the bluebird of happiness from a Sesame Street movie.

PittsburghWill, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"  Willy Wonka

I've lived. Not always well, but long enough.
04-03-2016, 08:22 PM
Congratulations on those cool finds!
I would have been surprised too coming in at 3-29 and 4-29 but I guess the depth and area was a given to dig.

Bigtony, member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jan 2015.
04-03-2016, 09:16 PM
Nice Barber! The brooch is the find of the day, in my opinion anyways. Nice hunt on the Bayou! Happy

RelicMedic, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Nov 2014.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Barber and my first seated half dime! RelicMedic 6 94 11-07-2017 04:40 PM
Last Post: updownup
  Found another rare Barber dime on wagon trail. leo aranza 3 126 07-22-2017 08:26 PM
Last Post: Ohio Dirt Fisher
  Barber Dime, V-Nick, Silver & Gold whatsits phondadots 10 463 01-19-2017 10:01 PM
Last Post: phondadots
  #16 is a barber scott demont 5 394 05-15-2016 01:00 PM
Last Post: Bigtony
  Short hunt with a barber Zachbl92 4 369 03-10-2016 07:44 PM
Last Post: Bigtony

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)