1st Attempt - Decent

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-16-2015, 11:35 PM
1st Attempt - Decent
Quote this message in a reply
Someone posted (forget who) a makeshift shadow box they made from items in a dollar store, a couple months back, and it stuck with me it was so cool. I like improvising. So, I hit the dollar store by me yesterday, and picked up some stuff.

Costs $2 to make. $1 for the frame, and $1 for a plastic type table cloth. Finished it today, and it's not bad for a first effort. Only thing I'm going to do differently next time is, I'm buying a roll of felt, as I believe it'll look 1,000 times better. The table cloth plastic is actually pretty decent, but there's a crease you'll notice in the photo, since it wrinkles easily. The felt will make the next one look like a million bucks.

Once I do it over with the felt, the coins come off fairly easy, and the glue actually peels off, so no coin damage. Going to use the winter months making a lot of these boxes, so I'll be organized come Spring.

P.S. - Whomever it was that posted that cool project, thanks, as it saved some bucks, and was fun to experiment.

Joe

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
12-17-2015, 05:33 AM
RE: 1st Attempt - Decent
Looks nice regardless of the felt Joe. Beautiful coins as well! Can't wait for my first.

Zachbl92, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum and detectorist since Nov 2015.
Garret At Pro(12x13, 8.5x11, 5x8, 4.5") Garret At Pinpointer, GG original headphones, Predator Piranha/Little Eagle T shovel, Lesche hand digger.
Button Count FTY: Lost count
12-17-2015, 06:15 AM
Looks nice, and I agree the wrinkle has to go. The felt will look a lot better, or even using a black & white picture of that era for the back drop. Happy

updownup, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
12-17-2015, 01:19 PM
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2015 01:25 PM by Ohio Dirt Fisher.)
Nice first attempt. When you start this process you learn as you go. I was going to use felt or a velour paper as a background but I changed my mind. Felt is a dirt and dust catcher and you have to constantly clean it throughout the assembly process. Velour paper shows nicks, dents and scratches like crazy. I think I am going to put a USGS map as a background and put the coins (in Airtite holders) on the general area they were found in. I have this huge 18" diameter clock somebody threw out here and it'll make a perfect shadowbox. Winter project though.

Ed

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
12-17-2015, 01:44 PM
Good Start Joe,

Printed copy paper works well as a backdrop and you can pick up sheets of felt at Micheal's for a buck or two.

People are mentioning good ideas and I have done a little of each. My 49'er Cache is simply a black and white image printed on everyday paper and then the coins are hot glued to it. You can also get different colored poster board that will work well. Or Foam board for buttons as you can cut a hole for the shank etc.

http://forum.treasureclassifieds.com/Thr...Ngeu3.dpbs

Good Luck with your winter projects
12-17-2015, 06:30 PM
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2015 06:32 PM by Steveo.)
Coins look nice, we used to put felt in the riker cases to give our own special affect.
I guess you get what you pay for!!!

(12-17-2015 01:19 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote:  Nice first attempt. When you start this process you learn as you go. I was going to use felt or a velour paper as a background but I changed my mind. Felt is a dirt and dust catcher and you have to constantly clean it throughout the assembly process. Velour paper shows nicks, dents and scratches like crazy. I think I am going to put a USGS map as a background and put the coins (in Airtite holders) on the general area they were found in. I have this huge 18" diameter clock somebody threw out here and it'll make a perfect shadowbox. Winter project though.

Ed

Ed that sounds like a cool project would like to see it when done

Steveo, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jun 2013.
12-17-2015, 10:28 PM
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2015 10:31 PM by updownup.)
Thanks Ron for the link. That is what I had envisioned. Happy  

Ed, your idea sounds like a beauty! Can't wait to see it.

updownup, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
12-18-2015, 01:48 PM
Nice buncha coins there Joe!

YesYes

Beer

MichiganRelicHunter, proud to be a digger since 1977
12-18-2015, 03:09 PM
Pretty Cool.
Nice coins as well.

Thought I would throw this in. Check your local thrift stores for some really nice frames, shadow boxes etc.

We have a really thrift store Talize here that has loads of items like that, priced right. Items like new or better are only put on the shelves. My wife can go nuts in this place.

Nokta Impact, Deteknix Quest Pro,Teknetics Mark 1
Self built Mirage PI's --- they work great!!
Free Vintage Metal Detector Catalog Downloads, Tips, Mods
http://www.treasurelinx.com/home1.html
12-18-2015, 11:09 PM
Guys, thanks for the replies/comments. I'm actually quite satisfied with the way the cheapo showcase turned out, with the exception of 2 things...

1. Again, the plastic crap I used for the background is actually okay, but methinks felt will make it look richer, and better quality. While I like the idea of a printed background (Ron did his REAL nice), there's something about a felt type of material that speaks to me. So, I'll pick up a roll of that.

2. On relic pieces, using a single frame wouldn't be possible, as there's only a thin space between the glass and the frame backing. Coins fit, but buckles, buttons and other relics would not. So, I had an idea to glue two boxes together to give it more depth. I think it'll do the trick.

I understand that shadow boxes aren't TOO expensive, and Michael's normally has them for like $15 or $20 for the smaller ones. But when I need like 10 or more, that's a lot of dough to drop. Plus, I like fiddling around and trying to fashion something out of cheap items.

Making one with a few of my relic pieces this weekend, I'll post it once it's complete.

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)