#55 FTY on a Long Wet Day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
10-11-2017, 06:09 PM
#55 FTY on a Long Wet Day
Quote this message in a reply
Canceled work because of impending rain and hit the woods. Tromped around an area I've done hundreds of times but opted to do areas that were overgrown up until now. After about 3 hours of digging headstamps and a few shell casings I hit a spot I've been near but not over. Got a real good high tone about 20 minutes in and it was running about 83 to 86 on the digital. At first I thought it might be a roundball or bullet or even maybe a nail, as I dug a few of each in that range near there with that tone. Even though we've now had about 3" of rain since Sunday night, the ground under the leaves is damp only down to about 1" and the remaining is bone dry. And root filled as well. So I popped the plug and found the target in the sidewall about 4" down. I jammed the digger in the sidewall and gave it a little push and there was a small root holding me back so I torqued it and there went the sidewall flying out of the hole in every direction for about 3 feet. Checked the hole and no signal so out there in the leaves is something and I found it 4 feet away, a 52 D Roosie! This area is kind of a slope and I'd been finding nails all over the place. But mostly in bunches. So I went down to the bottom of the slope and looked at where I had found the nails and the Roosie and saw that all were in kind of a line. Like people were running up and down the slope and dropping nails and change. I decided to walk up and down in a pattern through the now pretty much leafless undergrowth and over small tree limbs. (Which is a real treat for your legs after 4 hours in the woods!) Chuckle Surprisingly I found 8 wheats (not shown) of which only 2 had dates of 41 and 42D. And a crapload of like #16 or 20 nails. I don't know what the heck they were doing because this place is pretty remote. And about 100 feet above the river so it couldn't have been a flood. Anyway, that's my story. I was glad to get back to the truck.

The weather promises to be weirdly nominal until the end of the year. It was about 67F today and sometimes the rain came down pretty good but I was under a thick canopy of trees most of the while, although the forest floor is beginning to turn the color of Autumn. Beats packing in 2 bottle of frozen water and sweating like a horse!

Have fun out there and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
10-11-2017, 08:26 PM
RE: #55 FTY on a Long Wet Day
You are tougher than a junkyard dog! Your go get them attitude works. Ohio is in trouble! How many counties have you cleaned out? Hahaha You are probably considered a Foe to some of the other detectorist with new looking pouches. lol. Chuckle

updownup, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
10-11-2017, 10:43 PM
Good work again in bad conditions Ed!. I believe Updown has you pegged correctly; and you have certainly earned my respect. My wife teases me about not measuring up to the likes of VanDamme and Segal when we see one of their movies, so I'm afraid to mention your detecting exploits to her. She would giggle and say "Why can't you be more like Ed?" Keep up the good finds and stories my friend.
The nails and coins in a line running up the slope puts me in mind of an old fence line, long gone except for the nails.

shadeseeker, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
10-12-2017, 08:22 AM
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2017 08:28 AM by Ohio Dirt Fisher.)
(10-11-2017 08:26 PM)updownup Wrote:  You are tougher than a junkyard dog! Your go get them attitude works. Ohio is in trouble! How many counties have you cleaned out? Hahaha You are probably considered a Foe to some of the other detectorist with new looking pouches. lol. Chuckle

LOL!!! Thanks Up! Actually I have really been staying in just one county! I would say I've only covered 2 or 3% of that. I go where I rarely see detectorists. As a matter of note, I've only seen 1 pair of guys working an area I did years ago in the last six years. Frankly I never see anyone my age even walking the numerous footpaths. Mostly young and middle aged folks of both genders jogging or walking the dog. It is funny though that I met an older couple about a week ago on a bridle path and the guy, a doctor, collects bullets!!! I gave him a handful of them from my pouch and he picked one out and said "Wow, a 230 grain 30 cal.!" Chuckle

Ed

(10-11-2017 10:43 PM)shadeseeker Wrote:  Good work again in bad conditions Ed!. I believe Updown has you pegged correctly; and you have certainly earned my respect. My wife teases me about not measuring up to the likes of VanDamme and Segal when we see one of their movies, so I'm afraid to mention your detecting exploits to her. She would giggle and say "Why can't you be more like Ed?" Keep up the good finds and stories my friend.
The nails and coins in a line running up the slope puts me in mind of an old fence line, long gone except for the nails.

OMG Shade! You know I did find fence wire there too. A fence or animal pen never even crossed my mind!!!! Thanks!

And don't worry, If I don't expand my territory here soon you WILL look like the VanDamme and Segal of detectorists real quick! I just hate the thought of driving a half hour or hour to get there. And with new territory to be explored the first five or six trips are simply that. I guess that's why I keep going back to the same old spots, because I know people were there. Yes

Ed

10-12-2017, 05:10 PM
way to tough it out Ed. The " Vandamme or Segal of metal detecting" really brings up images of a guy with a necktie tied around his forehead jumping around and wildly swinging his detector and somehow coming up with big silver and gold. lol.
Congrats on number 55 , keep inspiring mere mortals like myself to keep on swinging even though we stay in easier to reach areas and usually only come up with a handful of clad and a pouch full of junk.
Pat

Digsit, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Feb 2016.
Remember for the good of the hobby It is better to ask for permission than to beg for forgiveness.
10-12-2017, 09:23 PM
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2017 09:26 PM by Ohio Dirt Fisher.)
(10-12-2017 05:10 PM)Digsit Wrote:  way to tough it out Ed. The " Vandamme or Segal of metal detecting" really brings up images of a guy with a necktie tied around his forehead jumping around and wildly swinging his detector and somehow coming up with big silver and gold. lol.
Congrats on number 55 , keep inspiring mere mortals like myself to keep on swinging even though we stay in easier to reach areas and usually only come up with a handful of clad and a pouch full of junk.
Pat

Thanks Pat! Running around? Maybe during a thunderstorm! Chuckle I'm pretty slow nowadays and VanDamme and Segal are getting there too. I wish I had the youth now. But I'm finding that low and slow and somewhat of a method are working better. It's just as good in the grass at times. But it's a lot more fun in the woods!

Ed

The Doe who was interested in my 1919 Merc! And her fawn I didn't get a picture of but scratched her jaw, which she liked.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Crazy Long Story - but happy in the end! Ring Return Bigtony 14 1,201 12-07-2016 08:35 PM
Last Post: Bigtony
  #39..... a 46 Rosie, & a long time a coming! Ohio Dirt Fisher 6 592 09-01-2016 10:20 PM
Last Post: RelicMedic
  Nice end to a long string of hunts! Ohio Dirt Fisher 9 770 06-27-2016 09:20 PM
Last Post: Ohio Dirt Fisher
  #24 on a long afternoon! And It snowed!!! Ohio Dirt Fisher 7 519 05-17-2016 07:39 AM
Last Post: updownup
  Wet, Muddy Hunt NjNyDigger 11 1,462 12-27-2015 11:25 AM
Last Post: shadeseeker

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)