8 Silver Hunt & Trifecta!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-15-2015, 05:12 PM
8 Silver Hunt & Trifecta!
Quote this message in a reply
Talk about making up for lost time. If someone told me this morning that I was going to hit a trifecta, I would've had them hauled off to the loony bin Chuckle

Was sick yesterday, with a bad sore throat, sneezing and the chills. Took some meds last night, woke up today and felt better, but didn't really want to go out. Was on the fence, but decided to go, at the last second.

After a horrendously bad summer, due to no rain and lackluster finds, I decided to go back to the basics today, and just take it slow...really enjoy my hunt, as opposed to putting pressure on myself. Well...

That lasted for about 2 hours, and with only a few wheats, I started pulling my hair out again, lol. I've hunted this place probably 50 or 60 times over the years, but there was one section which I always ASSumed was filled in. It wasn't Yes

Aside from the 57 Washington in the photo, which I got the other day, I pulled 8 silvers in about 2 hours time. NEVER expected to hit the trifecta, today, and would've been happy digging just a silver or two, after this terrible summer.

The buckle I got today, too, but I don't think it's very old. The compact and knives are from previous hunts.

Joe

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
10-15-2015, 05:17 PM
RE: 8 Silver Hunt & Trifecta!
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2015 05:41 PM by Ohio Dirt Fisher.)
GREAT haul Joe!!! Yes If you're going to do it, that sure is the way to!! Congrats on the Trifecta! I'd give odds to Condom Tin.

And a note to thinking about fill, one thing that I don't do is assume that an area is fill. An upward slope to a roadway, I assume it. But when it comes to grass, around playing fields, parks and such, unless you actually did landscape repair there yourself and know where it's at, it's all huntable. About 3 years ago on some low spots we had around the complex, we put down over 60 yards of topsoil, (three tandem loads), then seeded and strawed it in late Fall. Today, unless we mapped it out, which we didn't, you wouldn't know where we put it. But it's there, and some of it is 4 inches deep.

ODF

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
10-15-2015, 05:30 PM
DangJoe! At that rate you will catch up to me by the years end. CONGRATS!

I use a minelab SE pro!
10-15-2015, 05:48 PM
Congratulations on a great hunt !   And to think you almost didn't go.  Your intuition told you to go hunting.  You should pick up a lottery ticket or two just in case.  You might be on a lucky streak !

larbear, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since May 2014.
10-15-2015, 06:01 PM
Dang!! Smokin' Hunt!! Congrats on the goodies!
10-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Wow--impressive!  What a great day you had!

Detecting Diva, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Sep 2015.
10-15-2015, 08:28 PM
What a great day of hunting! Congrats.

shadeseeker, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
10-15-2015, 08:39 PM
(10-15-2015 05:17 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote:  GREAT haul Joe!!! Yes If you're going to do it, that sure is the way to!! Congrats on the Trifecta! I'd give odds to Condom Tin.

And a note to thinking about fill, one thing that I don't do is assume that an area is fill. An upward slope to a roadway, I assume it. But when it comes to grass, around playing fields, parks and such, unless you actually did landscape repair there yourself and know where it's at, it's all huntable. About 3 years ago on some low spots we had around the complex, we put down over 60 yards of topsoil, (three tandem loads), then seeded and strawed it in late Fall. Today, unless we mapped it out, which we didn't, you wouldn't know where we put it. But it's there, and some of it is 4 inches deep.

ODF

Ed, yeah, when in doubt, DIG! The reason I assumed the area was filled is, the base of all the tree's are completely & perfectly circled by grass, no roots showing, at all. This is indeed indicative of fill. However, the ground keeper's probably just filled around the BASE of the tree's, not the entire section, which is usually the case.

I have no problem hunting around fill, and as you've heard me say before, that's where we get a lot of our stuff from, we simply dig deeper than the fill. If you watch any of my videos, you'll see we have to dig down almost 10" or 11" for a merc or barber. Sinkage is one of the reasons why, but the other bigger culprit is fill. Easy workaround, no problem. However...

Not only did I assume the entire area was filled (wrong), I really didn't want to deal with the underlying roots, which was an issue today, but I had no other choice. I was literally hacking at the ground with my predator to bust the roots up on some targets...it wasn't pleasant, lol.

Other than the roots, though, NO complaints from me...as long as the Mets win, tonight!!!

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
10-15-2015, 11:19 PM
Holy crap Joe. That's a lot a silver. Good to hear you're feeling better.

PittsburghWill, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"  Willy Wonka

I've lived. Not always well, but long enough.
10-15-2015, 11:20 PM
Damn Joe, leave some for me when I feel better! Gerry

Gerry F, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Feb 2014.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  First hunt of 2017 with a silver first! Zachbl92 10 421 01-15-2017 04:44 PM
Last Post: NjNyDigger
  Afternoon Sat hunt and Fridays eyeballed silver. Cladjunky 3 260 08-28-2016 08:38 AM
Last Post: Digsit
  4_24_16 hunt with a little silver scott demont 7 340 04-25-2016 08:13 AM
Last Post: MichiganRelicHunter
  Trifecta WildDigger 8 516 03-04-2016 02:27 AM
Last Post: updownup
  Tuesday hunt- One silver and 24 wheats leo aranza 7 894 12-21-2015 08:34 PM
Last Post: updownup

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)