after a huge rain

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
10-13-2014, 02:16 PM
after a huge rain
Quote this message in a reply
How soon after a huge rain do you normally wait.
The sooner Thee better?
Or do you wait for a little bit for the ground to
Harden?

others have done it before me so can I
10-13-2014, 02:44 PM
RE: after a huge rain
Moist ground is much easier to dig.  Alot of people say the moisture helps your detector see better in the ground too.

PittsburghWill, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"  Willy Wonka

I've lived. Not always well, but long enough.
10-13-2014, 09:52 PM
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2014 09:55 PM by Ohio Dirt Fisher.)
I agree with Will on both counts Sam. The ground shouldn't be sloppy wet, just enough to squeeze it into a ball and it won't fall apart or drip water out. Some guys like dry ground as it's easier to separate the signals or target, some guys like slightly moist ground because it enhances the signals. I prefer the latter. I think it makes detecting faster and easier. I don't like hunting dry ground because around these parts it turns into concrete and could end up being a widowmaker under the right circumstances.

Ed

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-14-2014, 08:32 PM
(10-13-2014 09:52 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote:  I agree with Will on both counts Sam. The ground shouldn't be sloppy wet, just enough to squeeze it into a ball and it won't fall apart or drip water out. Some guys like dry ground as it's easier to separate the signals or target, some guys like slightly moist ground because it enhances the signals. I prefer the latter. I think it makes detecting faster and easier. I don't like hunting dry ground because around these parts it turns into concrete and could end up being a widowmaker under the right circumstances.

Ed

I agree with Will & Ed's words Yes I think it's almost always better to hunt after a good soaking rain. Not immediately after, but, maybe a day or two later. The only negative to hunting after heavy rains could be...

If your spot/s have a lot of heavy iron. The water can increase the iron halo, thereby making it more difficult to detect since it'll sound like iron is beneath you on every swing. Aside from this however...

Moist ground = more depth = more deeper (older) finds Happy

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
10-14-2014, 08:57 PM
Honestly?  Unless the ground is frozen, is 6 inches under snow or is sloppy muddy, JUST GET OUT THERE!  Swing that coil as often as you're able.  You'll find out what works best for YOU!  Can't wait to see what you pull up!

SLCdigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2013.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-14-2014, 09:21 PM
(10-14-2014 08:57 PM)SLCdigger Wrote:  Honestly?  Unless the ground is frozen, is 6 inches under snow or is sloppy muddy, JUST GET OUT THERE!  Swing that coil as often as you're able.  You'll find out what works best for YOU!  Can't wait to see what you pull up!

Perfect answer Yes

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
11-10-2014, 10:18 PM
(10-14-2014 09:21 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote:  
(10-14-2014 08:57 PM)SLCdigger Wrote:  Honestly?  Unless the ground is frozen, is 6 inches under snow or is sloppy muddy, JUST GET OUT THERE!  Swing that coil as often as you're able.  You'll find out what works best for YOU!  Can't wait to see what you pull up!

Perfect answer Yes

Joe

I couldn't agree more, cause if you're not swinging your thing you won't be diggin it.

biggredd1972, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013. Proud to be using a White's DFX with sunrayDX1 inline probe.Newly added in Jan/2015 White's V3I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Rain, Glorious Rain!!! NjNyDigger 6 317 11-16-2016 06:11 PM
Last Post: Zachbl92
  All this rain... Zachbl92 9 447 07-02-2016 10:33 PM
Last Post: Bigtony
  Much needed rain. biggredd1972 3 255 10-25-2015 09:22 PM
Last Post: Bigtony
  RAIN!!!!! NjNyDigger 11 960 08-15-2015 10:01 AM
Last Post: NjNyDigger
  36 degrees & snow mixed w/rain today = BS!! MichiganRelicHunter 9 991 10-31-2014 11:32 PM
Last Post: PittsburghWill

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)