Bottlecaps and I found many today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
11-08-2015, 08:55 PM
Bottlecaps and I found many today
Quote this message in a reply
It was cold old so I wore thermals and lots of layers, lasted about 2 hours before my fingers became way too cold for comfort.

I used a GoldBug Pro with a 5x10 coil. Today it liked bottle caps, found way more than I normally do along with the usual junky foil, canslaw, pulltabs...

Did manage to scrape up $6.30 in change. $5 of it consisted of 3 coins.
Two $2 coins and one $1 coin. You guys need to write your politicians and get rid of the $1 bill like they did here in Canada. Found three keys and the usual battery.

Nokta Impact, Deteknix Quest Pro,Teknetics Mark 1
Self built Mirage PI's --- they work great!!
Free Vintage Metal Detector Catalog Downloads, Tips, Mods
http://www.treasurelinx.com/home1.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2015, 09:17 PM
RE: Bottlecaps and I found many today
(11-08-2015 08:55 PM)Sven TreasureLinx Wrote:  It was cold old so I wore thermals and lots of layers, lasted about 2 hours before my fingers became way too cold for comfort.

I used a GoldBug Pro with a 5x10 coil. Today it liked bottle caps, found way more than I normally do along with the usual junky foil, canslaw, pulltabs...

Did manage to scrape up $6.30 in change. $5 of it consisted of 3 coins.
Two $2 coins and one $1 coin. You guys need to write your politicians and get rid of the $1 bill like they did here in Canada. Found three keys and the usual battery.

Glad you made it out, even if it was a cold one, Sven. And yes, you probably dug a ton of bottle caps & pull tabs, but that is why you're rewarded with gold every now and again. As I'm a cherry picker on the turf, yellow is a rarity for me. I only dig the low/medium tones at the beach, or if I'm at an extremely older site, inland.

If you could only use ONE machine out of your current arsenal, what would it be, the GoldBug?

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
11-08-2015, 10:15 PM
Tough to answer as I have settled on three machines.

GoldBug Pro as a ID machine (wife like it to), not a depth demon, excellent with Canadian clad and cherry picking but, bottlecaps fall into the 80's and so does silver. Even with Dave Johnsons trick to help identify them, doesn't always work.
Finds a lot of trash in the gold ring range. I dig 50's up to 80's. If I dig only 65 to 82 range, won't dig a heap of trash, gets the clad, larger gold rings and silver.

DeepTech Vista Gold as Beep and dig machine, much better than the GoldBug, much deeper and I can ID junk to a good degree, so as not to have to dig it. Excellent on Canadian clad gold and silver.

Finally my Mirage PI when looking for very small gold without having to dig 1000 tiny pcs of foil  like a VLF machine has to . Excellent for finding Canadian coins on edge that VLF machines lump into the iron ID range most hunters would normally discriminate out.  Finds what VLF hunters miss. Coins and rings give a very narrow response like a DD coil. Iron gives a very wide response or double beep but, still can fool you, especially bigger nails on end, the nail head sounds like a coin.

If I could have only one, it would be my PI. With its  5, 7, 8.5, 9.5, 10.5 inch coil selection I can get by nicely.

11-08-2015, 10:30 PM
You're $6.00 dollars richer than I Sven! Got 2 wheats, another 45 & a 36, about $1.75 in clad and memorials, and one boatload of junk. Was nice here today. Had the thermals on and a hoodie but the five hours turned out to be a trash run, basically. Glad to see you have tasked suggestions on some of the machines' capabilities and wound up funked out. Not as a dis but to let everyone know that it ain't all a rose garden out there. Getting tougher and tougher every year. Method of hunt and where seem to be the factors. Had one old guy stop today and ask me what I was doing in the woods. He couldn't believe I was finding clad in the woods. He sold his detector five years ago. Said he never found anything with it. Ain't that a shame?

Ed/ODF

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
11-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Sven glad you went hunting. Sounds like a good day, it was not a Bust. You know the cold thing is mostly a mental state. Just stay focus, and keep telling yourself its not that cold. And the next dig is going to be so awesome!

updownup, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
11-09-2015, 10:25 PM
LOL,
Cold and me don't get along as when I was a kid growing up in the harsh Buffalo,NY  winters. Loved the snow and ice fishing.
These days my fingers and or finger tips lose circulation when it gets too cold or damp. They become white, only way to get blood back in, is by soaking in really warm water for 5 minutes. Same happens to my toes. Hereditary.
Funny thing is, after I get the blood going again, I can go back out in the cold without gloves, they would just get cold after awhile. Sucks getting older. These days I prefer warmer weather, need to move south again...my wife likes the cold for medical reasons. So stuck in Canada, the great white north.

I'd love to live somewhere that was 72 degees all year around. I'll settle for 66-80.
Ideally would live up north during the springs and summer and move south for the late fall and winter, for sure after I win a lottery or find that treasure trove. Then I would go hunt in the UK as well......I know keep on dreaming....Sun

If I found a spot that was giving up good worthwhile finds that get the blood flowing, I'll be out in the cold.......just like back in the day I was bottle dump digging the old  1880-1890's ash garbage dumps in Buffalo. Dead of winter 20 degrees, just before sun-up, maybe snowy....We know once you start digging, you warm up and start stripping layers off. After two hours with a 5 foot deep hole on your way down to 10 feet, you are in your long sleeve tee shirt. You don't realize how cold it actually is until you quit and come out of the hole. A hot shower does wonders after the dig. I remember one did, it was cold and overcast one winter day, barely an inch of snow on the ground. Had a hole 12 feet deep, when it was time to quit and crawled out, it was a blizzard with about 8" of snow on the ground. My back was soaked. Had to quit, my buddy in the hole  next to mine wanted to go home and watch the Buffalo Bills Football game on TV.  I had tons of pictures of all my finds, unfortunately  were destroyed in a basement flooding back in the late 1990's.

All winter long we would dig the dumps, we pulled out loads of treasures

11-09-2015, 11:21 PM
I don't like the cold either but I am glad that you endured it and came home with keepers, that is what makes it a cool hobby. We can hunt most of the year and still enjoy it

Bigtony, member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jan 2015.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Wanted to get out today , here's what I found Digsit 9 368 12-12-2016 02:48 PM
Last Post: Ohio Dirt Fisher
  Found a silver ring today and a bunch of change Bigtony 16 924 07-02-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: Bigtony
  found liberty's sister today scott demont 7 558 05-23-2016 12:55 PM
Last Post: Zachbl92
  found silvers #46,#47,#48 and found jesus again. leo aranza 14 2,470 03-05-2016 06:53 PM
  Found a 1941 Merc today. updownup 6 535 02-15-2016 12:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)