Clad change. Save or spend

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
04-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Clad change. Save or spend
Quote this message in a reply
Quarters, nickels, dimes, pennies. As a detectorist I obviously find my fair share of clad coins. When I get home from detecting I put all of my clad in an empty cool whip container or an empty tub of butter with some warm water and swish it around and give it a good rinse. I drain all the water out. When the coins no longer have any loose dirt or debris on them and dump them out on a towel to dry. After that's all done I toss them into a big Rubbermaid tote in my closet where I leave them. My plan is one day get a big tumbler just to make sure they are clean enough to run threw a coin star type machine at my bank. But I don't want to cash them in for years. I would like to keep saving it all and one day make a new purchase. Probably a new detector or at least most of a new detector. Now... What I want to know from all of you here is what do you do with your clad change....? Cash it in as you get it, once a month, once a year?? Do you save it? I would like to hear all of the different things people do with their clad. Hopefully everyone throws their two cents in on this topic!!

Trevor

PAunderground, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Mar 2014.
04-05-2014, 07:52 AM
RE: Clad change. Save or spend
I've only been back to park hunting for a year and a half. Sell the clad back to the bank once a year (Jan.) $300+  first year $900+ the second , haven't exchanged any of the jewelry yet. I tumble it in the 3# harbor freight machine once or twice a month. I save the copper but dump the zincs at the Coinstar at Walmart when I get a small coffee can full which nets me about 10 bucks.

Dusty, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Aug 2013.
04-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Good discusion topic. I have olny really found about three mason jars full of clad in the last four years. I am toying around with a few ideas for what to do with it all. I may get a peice of plywood and super glue the coins to it to make a mosaic of some sort that i would keep adding to or i might make a coin building. I deffennitly am not going to spend them unless i really need the money for something. Im curious as to what other people will say about this topic.

Eric Foster, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Mar 2014.
04-08-2014, 04:18 PM
These are pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzoIDXvG63o

Dusty, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Aug 2013.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2014, 06:36 PM
I normally wait until I have a hundred or two hundred bucks, then do the coinstar routine. I spend it on whatever. Extra money is always nice Happy

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
04-09-2014, 12:21 AM
I dont find much clad,but what I do gets thrown in the pocket change jar...kids keep robbing it.

My empire of dirt.
04-09-2014, 01:57 PM
I have a really nice Lortone tumbler I use. I do it about once a year when I'm bored. I usually end up spending it on gas when I screw up the bills lol

I won a Tesoro Outlaw in a Treasure Classified giveaway!
04-10-2014, 09:17 PM
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014 09:28 PM by Ohio Dirt Fisher.)
Without too much confession I reinvest in new equipment. If I'm finding enough clad to make fuel, batteries, new coils, diggers, and some on a new machine, well, I consider myself to be doing good. I have turned in my gold and near gold when the prices were up. I'm holding until another peak. The silver has a long way to go before I cash in and I'm setting aside a few items to keep, because they're milestones for me. The one thing I find about this hobby that I really like is the discovery. Clad, silver, gold, whatever. I'm mercenary to a degree but honest with myself and the finds. The clad is manna, the silver is a blessing and the gold is heaven. I keep swinging. I don't know what I'll find next. But I'll finance my hobby as I go, PA.

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
04-11-2014, 12:02 PM
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 12:04 PM by bulletbob.)
I save till the end of the year and then cash it in at the bank. Then I go to the local coin dealer and buy silver bars . I give to my son,daughter, and grandkids for Christmas gifts.All found clads turns into silver.

proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Aug 2013.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Weather Change Ben Town 7 331 02-14-2017 11:44 PM
Last Post: Ohio Dirt Fisher
  Save a Rev war Site -- sign if you support this Ron (CA) 22 741 01-28-2017 05:23 PM
Last Post: Dusty
  Time to Change Course NjNyDigger 0 255 06-28-2016 11:38 PM
Last Post: NjNyDigger
  clad for the year Kajunman 8 448 04-30-2016 06:16 PM
Last Post: Bigtony
  ***Classifieds Change*** NjNyDigger 0 526 10-27-2015 07:36 PM
Last Post: NjNyDigger

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)