Contest Time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-22-2016, 09:24 PM
Contest Time
Quote this message in a reply
I think the time has come for another contest, guys, but I'm leaving this one in your hands. Held many, many of these before, and it never gets easier, because...

I've tried having a finds contest once, but I don't like the way it went. EVERYONE needs the opportunity to participate fairly & evenly. Some of us don't live in places where we can go and just dig tons of old stuff, on demand. Also, someone newer to the hobby might find it hard to compete with someone that's been doing this for 10 or 15 years. And finds are extremely subjective. Who's to say a coin is better than a button, or vice versa? Finally, I don't like picking winners, as I can be accused of playing favorites. So, for the reasons above, no contests based on finds.

The contest also needs to have a CLEAR winner, without me, or anyone else choosing.

This is the reason I've based several contests off of our local lottery. Everyone has the same chances, it's easy, I don't choose the winner, and most important of all, it's completely verifiable. But yes, it lacks a bit of excitement & drama. So...

I'll leave it up to you guys. Any and all suggestions thrown into the ring will be considered, provided they meet the criteria above, though nothing is written in stone yet.

I'll give this thread a week or so, and see what everyone comes up with, and we'll all decide the ultimate contest idea, from there.

Put your thinking caps on Happy

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
03-22-2016, 09:25 PM
RE: Contest Time
First comment! I'll edit when I know! Tongue

Zachbl92, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum and detectorist since Nov 2015.
Garret At Pro(12x13, 8.5x11, 5x8, 4.5") Garret At Pinpointer, GG original headphones, Predator Piranha/Little Eagle T shovel, Lesche hand digger.
Button Count FTY: Lost count
03-22-2016, 09:35 PM
(03-22-2016 09:25 PM)Zachbl92 Wrote:  First comment! I'll edit when I know! Tongue

Lol. And btw, this one is ONLY open to our regulars Happy I'm getting real tired of asswipes dropping in out of the blue, joining the contests, and then going MIA. If you haven't been a member here for at LEAST a few months, or if your last post was further back than December, sorry, this isn't your party.

And for any of those who think I'm being a meanie, I'm not. I feel the people who are here, AND ADD TO THE COMMUNITY on a regular basis, shouldn't have to compete with someone swooping in out of nowhere for the free food & drink.

Joe

03-23-2016, 07:50 AM
I don't quite qualify to enter the contest yet but how about basing it on the total number of points scored in the championship game of the NCAA basketball tournament?
   It's not metal detecting related , but neither is the lottery....
It is verifiable and it sets a clear end date for the contest.
Pat

Digsit, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Feb 2016.
Remember for the good of the hobby It is better to ask for permission than to beg for forgiveness.
03-23-2016, 09:11 AM
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2016 09:19 AM by Digsit.)
How about a tongue in cheek suggestion , the person who guesses the closest to the date my wife agrees to me upgrading my detector wins.
  There are a couple problems with this one , first of all never is a great likelihood , and I would not be above someone fixing the contest by maybe sending me a Deus or a CTX 3030 ( with a price like that she'd go along)
     This will be my second season with the AT pro and the wife gets a little touchy when she sees me looking over some new ads for higher end models. Come to think of it she gets a little riled when I look at models too....
   Ok , enough of this , I think I'm hilarious at least....

How about you pick a random year , could even be within the last decade and whoever posts the most "dirty pictures " of them being dug in a set time wins.
   I'm a third shift factory rat who can't sleep this morning so I am just throwing out some suggestions ( I am not qualified to enter and it doesn't bother me , but I think it would be fun to see who digs the most 2011 dated coins , it would possibly make people more excited about digging some clad)
  Ok , I'll shut up now and let someone else have a turn making suggestions.
HH
Pat

Digsit, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Feb 2016.
Remember for the good of the hobby It is better to ask for permission than to beg for forgiveness.
03-23-2016, 05:47 PM
(03-23-2016 07:50 AM)Digsit Wrote:  I don't quite qualify to enter the contest yet but how about basing it on the total number of points scored in the championship game of the NCAA basketball tournament?
   It's not metal detecting related , but neither is the lottery....
It is verifiable and it sets a clear end date for the contest.
Pat

Pat, thanks for understanding. We have many great members here, who invest a lot of time asking questions, helping others with advice, uploading photos/videos for everyone to enjoy, and, in general, being excellent stewards of our community. I want this to be exclusive to them, as, unfortunately, I've run other contests before, where we have a quite a few 'hit & run' entrants, who come only for the chance of a prize, and then take off into the wind. It's just not fair to our regulars who actually help to build this place, to have to compete in a system like that.

I'm not saying you're one of the people I described above, nor is anyone else, I'm simply speaking in general.

We run contests very often, and the next one will be open for all Yes

Great ideas, let's see what other suggestions we get, and we'll decide after all have been entered.

Joe

03-23-2016, 07:00 PM
Preferably a contest that I'm not gonna screw up! Happy You could engage the active members here by picking one person who is consistent with the age of the sites they hunt. Have that person walk onto their site and find a coin signal. Film that part. Have everyone either guess just the date, or denomination of the coin AND the date. Upload the second part (live dig portion) and reveal what the coin is in the video. If they don't want to do video, pictures would work. I would be willing to sit this one out to do the video. I could post the first part of the video explaining the age of the site and description of past finds from there. Just a thought.

RelicMedic, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Nov 2014.
03-23-2016, 07:23 PM
(03-23-2016 07:00 PM)RelicMedic Wrote:  Preferably a contest that I'm not gonna screw up! Happy You could engage the active members here by picking one person who is consistent with the age of the sites they hunt. Have that person walk onto their site and find a coin signal. Film that part. Have everyone either guess just the date, or denomination of the coin AND the date. Upload the second part (live dig portion) and reveal what the coin is in the video. If they don't want to do video, pictures would work. I would be willing to sit this one out to do the video. I could post the first part of the video explaining the age of the site and description of past finds from there. Just a thought.

Sounds like a pretty cool idea to me. 1 week notice before the video and 1 week to reveal the find. Give everyone plenty of time to guess. Great idea!

Zachbl92, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum and detectorist since Nov 2015.
Garret At Pro(12x13, 8.5x11, 5x8, 4.5") Garret At Pinpointer, GG original headphones, Predator Piranha/Little Eagle T shovel, Lesche hand digger.
Button Count FTY: Lost count
03-23-2016, 07:32 PM
That's what I thought as well. A week between uploads. I would upload the first part to my youtube channel then copy the link to the forum. Wait until everyone has guessed then upload the second part and copy that link to the forum. It would be good publicity for Treasure Classifieds as well. It's a win win. The prize can still come from admin if they desire. Shipping from Canada is astronomical!! And I don't really have anything good to give away just yet lol

RelicMedic, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Nov 2014.
03-24-2016, 11:23 AM
(03-23-2016 07:00 PM)RelicMedic Wrote:  Preferably a contest that I'm not gonna screw up! Happy You could engage the active members here by picking one person who is consistent with the age of the sites they hunt. Have that person walk onto their site and find a coin signal. Film that part. Have everyone either guess just the date, or denomination of the coin AND the date. Upload the second part (live dig portion) and reveal what the coin is in the video. If they don't want to do video, pictures would work. I would be willing to sit this one out to do the video. I could post the first part of the video explaining the age of the site and description of past finds from there. Just a thought.

I agree with Zach, this is a good one, RM Yes Only downside would be, yes, you'd obviously have to sit it out, and as one of our best members, that would bother me a little. As for the prize, yes, it would come from me.

P.S. - You didn't screw anything up, the whole thing was a cluster f@ck, and I should've been on top of it more, to assure the entry times were straight. FWIW, the time clock on here screws me up sometimes, too!

Joe

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  *NEW CONTEST SOON* NjNyDigger 8 1,142 12-14-2015 10:47 PM
Last Post: scott demont
  ***NEW CONTEST*** 7/7/15 Dusty 20 3,226 07-09-2015 11:39 PM
Last Post: Bigtony
  New Contest? Firedigger109 11 1,224 01-08-2015 08:49 PM
Last Post: Steveo

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)