Detecting the Woods.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
10-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Detecting the Woods.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 09:21 PM by Ohio Dirt Fisher.)
Quote this message in a reply
Went foraging in the woods the last three days, at three different sites, all of which are rugged and eventually plateau off in spots to make the detecting easier. The first two sites are simply enormous from my standpoint and would each take me a year to thoroughly detect as they are easily over 100 acres each. Today's site of about 75 acres at least holds some promise as I found 2 - 1942 Wheaties about 10 inches apart in bone dry ground at about 4" depth with very iffy signals and it was raining but the tree canopy is so dense when the rain really came in I had to turn on the backlight to see the screen. The other thing that makes me wonder about this area is I found 1 campsite with buried trash and four shotgun brass at very widely separated distances. The Remington UMC Hi Brass Nirto Club was produced from 1911 to 1934. The Winchester Repeaters were produced from 1896 until 1938 (Short Brass). The Winchester Western in the picture is what I believe to be a Winchester New Rival No. 12, Short Brass 1920 to 1929, as it has no stamped date, which they stopped in 1919, but it's hard to see in the photos. So I'm in an area that is pretty old. I'm going back. There are a lot of hot rocks there. Not slag. But fist and bigger sized rocks apparently full of iron, and I dug a number of them. The X pointer can't see them but the SE can with Iron Mask at 16.

Have a good time out there and Happy Hunting.

Ed

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2014, 09:26 PM
RE: Detecting the Woods.
Good finds sound like you might have a good spot got to dig all them shells. I never knew any of the dates though that's cool. So where do I get the information on the shells. I get the long brass shot guns shells like 3 inches long do you know the dates
Good luck and Thanks Steve

Steveo, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jun 2013.
10-07-2014, 10:12 PM
(10-07-2014 09:26 PM)Steveo Wrote:  Good finds sound like you might have a good spot got to dig all them shells. I never knew any of the dates though that's cool. So where do I get the information on the shells. I get the long brass shot guns shells like 3 inches long do you know the dates
Good luck and Thanks Steve

Steveo,

It's a good way to date sites you're on. Most of the woods were hunted through the years. Good luck!

http://members.shaw.ca/cartridge-corner/shotgun.htm

Ed

10-07-2014, 10:18 PM
very nice hunt, great link ...
10-07-2014, 10:28 PM
Betcha shit your pants when you saw that heart charm?! Lol. I know I would've! Shotgun shells almost always trip me up, as they sound very much like coins, although the numbers tend to be a bit lower, depending on the type. Stay in the woods, Ed. Now is prime woods hunting time. I'll be concentrating there myself for the next few months.

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
10-07-2014, 10:46 PM
Wow that's a great link I never knew there was so many I have found many over the years. But after seeing that website I haven't even started finding them
Thanks

Steveo, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jun 2013.
10-07-2014, 10:48 PM
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 10:49 PM by Ohio Dirt Fisher.)
@Joe,

I about did because I thought it may have been another shotgun shell brass. Was hitting too low though, 3-27, 6-23. Shotgun brass is funny, hits 7-20's, 8's and sometimes 9's on the high brass. The broken heart was on a steep slope in some overgrown roots about 8 feet down slope from a carved "I love" so and so birch tree. Oldest date on the tree was 1918. It's one helluva big tree. Along with a whole boatload of trash. I didn't show it but I got an intact slightly yellow tinted glass tumbler from that campsite, and a small, what I think is a more recent bottle, looks like a lotion or perfume bottle. I'll post both tomorrow.

Ed

(10-07-2014 10:46 PM)Steveo Wrote:  Wow that's a great link I never knew there was so many I have found many over the years. But after seeing that website I haven't even started finding them
Thanks

Thanks Steveo!

Use it!!

Ed

10-07-2014, 11:18 PM
nice finds there Ed"

mike pierson, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Sep 2014.  new owner of ctx 3030"also explorer se pro w/sun-ray probe
10-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Cool finds.  I like them shell ends.  I wonder if someone put the heart under the love tree on purpose.

PittsburghWill, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"  Willy Wonka

I've lived. Not always well, but long enough.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  #66 Thru 69! Same woods!! Ohio Dirt Fisher 6 94 11-30-2017 03:00 PM
Last Post: Ohio Dirt Fisher
  #11 in the woods! Ohio Dirt Fisher 3 241 05-15-2017 04:19 PM
Last Post: MichiganRelicHunter
  Wish I had woods to MD. CMan1 3 390 09-16-2015 01:18 PM
Last Post: Bigtony

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)