Do you take breaks?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Do you take breaks?
Quote this message in a reply
I'm a person that has no in-between. Hot & cold. Black & white. All or nothing. When I eat, I EAT. When I detect, I DETECT. So it is with my personality. Which brings me to my question...

I'm not really one to hunt just once a week, or, for a few hours here & there. I put in at least 15 to 20 hours per week detecting time. I've been doing this for many years now, but, what normally happens is I hit the wall after a while. The constant chasing of finds, trying new spots, the early morning wake-up's, etc. start wearing me down. Then I take a respite. A break. Almost like a vacation. Sometimes a few weeks, sometime 6 months or more.

Curious if any of you guys do the same.

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
10-08-2014, 10:52 PM
RE: Do you take breaks?
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 06:45 PM by IndianaBones.)
No breaks, usually 3 - 6 hours per day every day, no stopping, i will often finish a 6 hour day and realize i haven`t even taken a sip of my drink.
early mornings. usually not eating just up and straight out to the hunt.
i have detected till im almost passing out many times. no food, no drinks, 90 + temps, and high humidity ... only thing that saves me is i can walk home from my detecting spot. there has been times i have barely made it ....
i`ll take my vacation in a pine box, until then.... im detecting ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2014, 11:02 PM
(10-08-2014 10:52 PM)IndianaBones Wrote:  No breaks, usually 3 - 6 hours per day every day, no stopping, i will often finish a 6 hour day and realize i haven`t even taken a sip of my drink.
early mornings. usually not eating just up and straight out to the hunt.
i have detected till im almost passing out many times. no food, no drinks, 90 + temps, and high humidity ... only thing that saves me is i can walk home from my detecting spot. there has been time i have barely made it ....
i`ll take my vacation in a pine box, until then.... im detecting ...

I do they same thing sometimes. Aside from coffee, I'm not a big breakfast eater. I'll swing like a madman and not even take a swig of water or anything for hours on end. Then I get home & gorge. I'll eat my only meal of the day at like 8:30 at night. It's called addiction, lol. We're too caught up in detecting that everything else comes second.

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
10-08-2014, 11:27 PM
I don't know how you find so much time Joe.  I can't even get one day a week.  When I do I always take some lunch.  A quick lunch break keeps me happy.  When its hot out I put bottles of water in the freezer and take them.  As they melt you got icy cold water no matter where you go.

PittsburghWill, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"  Willy Wonka

I've lived. Not always well, but long enough.
10-08-2014, 11:38 PM
I will often freeze a camel pack to take along, it takes about 4 hours to melt out in my heat, i have detected so long that i have taken my first sip out of it and had warm water. ... yes it is addictive.
i sometimes think that it should be a diagnose-able sickness.
and likely is, just hasn`t been researched. but there is an uncontrollable drive to chase that next beep, for that next find, and possibly the big score. it`s like gambling in a way. just one more roll of the dice ... one more swing of the coil ...
10-08-2014, 11:51 PM
I carry an empty 1/2 gallon Gatorade jug to pee in if the need arises and there's no cover close by---nuff said.

Dusty, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Aug 2013.
10-09-2014, 01:45 AM
(10-08-2014 11:51 PM)Dusty Wrote:  I carry an empty 1/2 gallon Gatorade jug to pee in if the need arises and there's no cover close by---nuff said.

LOL !!! hopefully you can find cover, and a pee is all you need.
would look kinda odd in the middle of the field sitting on a Gatorade bottle ...
10-09-2014, 01:40 PM
I have to detect on a whim. I never have a constant source of places to go. I would like to be able to spend 15-20 hours a week detecting if I could, but its usually not the case. Hopefully in the coming years I can get better at finding places/asking permission. This winter might be devoted to researching

Detectors used: XP Deus ws4 11" coil, Minelab Sovereign GT
10-09-2014, 07:42 PM
After about 4 or 5 hours I take a small break, a little snack, some water or ice tea and I'm good for the rest of the day.

proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Aug 2013.
10-09-2014, 08:34 PM
I go out for about 4 to 5 hours a day, sometimes 7 days a week, but usually 5 days, as I do have stuff to do. Most of the time I carry a small bag of Skittles with me or a box of Good & Plenty. I always carry water with me and have a cooler full of it and ice on the passenger floor of my truck. I drink about 5 or 6 - 22 oz. bottles a day too as a normal thing. Doing this woods thing, I simply have to take a break. (Mostly to find a big tree to pee on and hide behind.)Yes The areas are so large I have to take at least 5 to 10 minutes for a smoke, a few bits of candy and a couple sips of water at least every hour where I can find a comfortable log to park my carcass. I catch up with journal entries then too, so I can reference them when needed. It helps renew me physically and also get my bearings as to where I am in location to where I parked and how much further I'm going to go before I have to turn around and head back before dark. On the weekends I will sometimes pack a lunch and eat it between spots. And there's always a large cup of sweet black coffee sitting in the cup holder of my truck, cold or not, I love it!!

Ed

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)