Ground balance?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
11-18-2015, 09:27 PM
Ground balance?
Quote this message in a reply
does rich mineralization ground play a big roll in depth and false signals? My ground balance is 80+ up to 87. I live in South Jersey. It's 80+ at 3 different sites. My house, burnt down homestead and a old school house. Does it just run high in nj? If so is there anything I can do? I've turned down settings and made sure everything was right with the detector.

Zachbl92, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum and detectorist since Nov 2015.
Garret At Pro(12x13, 8.5x11, 5x8, 4.5") Garret At Pinpointer, GG original headphones, Predator Piranha/Little Eagle T shovel, Lesche hand digger.
Button Count FTY: Lost count
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-18-2015, 11:21 PM
RE: Ground balance?
Yes, mineralization can severely impact depth. That's one of the reasons a lot of guys swing Minelab's, as they handle mineralized ground much better, and subsequently detect deeper. Of course, a P.I. machine would be even better, but you'd have no discrimination ability at that point, and would have to dig everything.

Bad ground can vary wildly from location to location, even at the same hunting spot. I remember using the F75 years ago, and the ground readout was very different if I tried balancing in one spot, versus another...in the same location...sometimes only a few feet away! I was so confused, I posted a question about it on Dankowski's forum, and he confirmed that it was perfectly normal.

Most important thing is, make sure you're ground balanced as well as possible. You need to cancel out the minerals in the soil. This will get you most of the way to a quiet, stabler detector, but, also, try not to ramp up the sensitivity too high in that kind of environment. Try to keep dropping it back until the machine pipes down. It's great being able to go full tilt on the sensitivity, but if the unit isn't stable, and you can't hear signals properly through all the noise, you're basically shooting yourself in the foot.

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
11-18-2015, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the info joe. I think I'll need to get my foot checked out, I guess that's why it's been hurting. I'd love a e trac but I'm not quite at my monthly upgrade...bounty hunter vlf machine, bounty hunter pioneer 202, Garret AT pro...soon enough e trac WinkYes I can only wish. But I'll continue trying different settings and find the best for the site. Thanks again

Zachbl92, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum and detectorist since Nov 2015.
Garret At Pro(12x13, 8.5x11, 5x8, 4.5") Garret At Pinpointer, GG original headphones, Predator Piranha/Little Eagle T shovel, Lesche hand digger.
Button Count FTY: Lost count
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-19-2015, 12:00 AM
Any machine has the capability of finding almost anything, provided it's set up correctly, and you're in the right area, so don't fall into thinking you're at a loss without a ML. Nothing could be further from the truth. But mineralized ground is a tough beast to deal with, and the multiple frequency units seem to help a bit.

Just get your unit stable, and dig everything that beeps. It's really that simple. If you're indeed in an area that has goodies hiding, you'll find them. Remember...

The number ONE rule of treasure hunting isn't what machine someone is using, but rather LOCATION Yes

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
11-19-2015, 12:44 AM
Yes. Some areas here are outrageous, some quiet as a Lamb. You just have to know how to deal with it in the first few minutes of a site. Takes time but you'll learn. In most of my high mineralization sites, I have to slow down a lot. When I get to the blank mineralization areas, at current settings, I can move with some speed so long as my sense is lower because the iron is still there, but deeper, so I try to look above the iron mineralization. In a case like yours, where you have a homestead site, well the AT Pro is real good at nulling out the iron, but, too high might be a deterrent to trying to find mixed signals. I run into this too with the SE Pro if I have Iron Mask set too high over that same kind of ground. And I don't usually show it, but I dig a lot of old nails, iron pipe parts, horseshoes, etc... Once you get a feeling for the settings on the AT Pro, you'll start to "see" and hear what is under the coil and make the call to dig or not.

I pass on a lot of signals because of testing. As an example, I three and four way cross sweep if I can, (brush and bushes kind of don't allow that), do a hover test at 6 and 12 inches above the ground level, and change sensitivity throughout the process to determine a target size, composition and if it may be close to either iron or trash. This method has helped me in many situations and I've found quite a number of great things doing it.

Over time, knowing your machine and its can's and can't's is what will produce finds for you. Even now I question hits with the SE Pro, but am sometimes just too tired to dig them near the end of a hunt. I know where they are though, so maybe someday I'll go back and retest the area. With another machine. No one machine can do it all. Arsenals of various are a great way to sweep an important area. But it took me 3 years to find that out, and now 2 years with the SE. So keep plugging. You'll see.

Ed/ODF

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Digging plugs in frozen ground Digsit 14 555 01-02-2017 05:02 PM
Last Post: Bigtony
  Opinions on Ground Conditions... NjNyDigger 3 485 01-19-2014 10:14 PM
Last Post: NjNyDigger

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)