Have no clue?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
12-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Have no clue?
Quote this message in a reply
He guys, got me stumped?  Found in a farmers recently plowed field in front of a late 1800s still standing structure. Found in the same hole with 2 1910 wheats. I was thinking maybe half of a crotal bell, but all of the pics online don't resemble? The quarter is for scale. Thanks for your time!                

CTX 3030, TRX Pin Pointer, and an understanding wife.
12-06-2015, 10:20 PM
RE: Have no clue?
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2015 10:25 PM by Ohio Dirt Fisher.)
I think you have the concept right Fire! But it doesn't fit the normal configuration for what I'm showing. Although it may be just this, I can't find a shape, other than wind chime bells, which fits. But I think this may help in your quest. This is an old door chime bell. Like they used to have and still do on some vintage storekeeper shops.

Ed/ODF

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
12-07-2015, 07:50 AM
Maybe a candle snuffer?

Zachbl92, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum and detectorist since Nov 2015.
Garret At Pro(12x13, 8.5x11, 5x8, 4.5") Garret At Pinpointer, GG original headphones, Predator Piranha/Little Eagle T shovel, Lesche hand digger.
Button Count FTY: Lost count
12-07-2015, 10:20 AM
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2015 10:21 AM by Firedigger109.)
Hey thanks so much Ohio.  Imma keep diggin for some info.  Bout to drive me crazy!!

Zach you may be on to something as well !!
12-07-2015, 10:27 PM
that is a UMO. An unidentified metal object

Bigtony, member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jan 2015.
Minelab Exp II Excal II - coils Wot, 10 x 12 sef small 7 inch minelab coil 6 inch Excellarator
2017 YTD Zilch so far.......updated at end of month
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-07-2015, 11:08 PM
I was thinking bell, too, but the candle snuffer might be a better fit, now that it's been mentioned. Guys, smarten up...

If you really want to play Columbo, just wait until someone correctly i.d.'s something, then swoop in and say; "Yes, that's it. I was thinking that precisely, all along" Hahaha!

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
12-08-2015, 02:00 PM
My 2 cents, which isn't worth much, as I don't have a definitive answer...

In shape, it looks like a bell from inside a telephone, like a Western Electric 302. But I think it is too small, the metal is too thick and the finishing too rough. Also the appearance makes me think this is probably earlier than that. 

If it were a bell or a candle snuffer, I would expect it to have some sort of decoration on it. Even utilitarian crotal bells were pretty elaborately decorated. So, since it's not decorated or marked, I'm thinking it's a more utilitarian part of something, and if it is a bell or chime, possibly part of a clock.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2015, 10:34 PM
(12-08-2015 02:00 PM)Nick A Wrote:  My 2 cents, which isn't worth much, as I don't have a definitive answer...

In shape, it looks like a bell from inside a telephone, like a Western Electric 302. But I think it is too small, the metal is too thick and the finishing too rough. Also the appearance makes me think this is probably earlier than that. 

If it were a bell or a candle snuffer, I would expect it to have some sort of decoration on it. Even utilitarian crotal bells were pretty elaborately decorated. So, since it's not decorated or marked, I'm thinking it's a more utilitarian part of something, and if it is a bell or chime, possibly part of a clock.

Interesting analysis, Nick. Some of these pieces are tough, especially if they're on the generic side, with no markings, designs, hallmarks, etc. Matter of fact, that's one of my pet peeves...finding objects which cannot be ID'd. It almost kills me, sometimes.

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
12-09-2015, 09:18 AM
After thinking about it - that part could be a bell from the top of an alarm clock.
The kind that had two bells on top - one on each side with the striler in between.
I am not on my home computer and so I was not able to copy and paste a picture of one.

Bigtony, member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jan 2015.
Minelab Exp II Excal II - coils Wot, 10 x 12 sef small 7 inch minelab coil 6 inch Excellarator
2017 YTD Zilch so far.......updated at end of month
12-13-2015, 01:15 AM
It looks like the bed post topper or the bell on an alarm clock

steven sheldon, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Nov 2015.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Not a clue.. Padiggydirt 9 315 03-28-2017 03:33 PM
Last Post: Ron (CA)
  I HAVEN'T A CLUE!! DO YOU scott demont 9 916 10-28-2016 03:03 PM
Last Post: RelicMedic
  haven't got a clue silversteve 2 625 05-05-2015 10:00 AM
Last Post: silversteve
  Any clue what this is?... micahmoore 5 761 09-18-2013 04:39 PM
Last Post: Frankn

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)