How often do you detect?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-22-2014, 02:54 PM
How often do you detect?
Quote this message in a reply
Curious as to how much time everyone devotes to this pursuit. As for me, NOT ENOUGH! In all seriousness, before I was self employed, I actually quit several well paying jobs because they were eating into my detecting time. Quit as in: no back-up plan or other work lined up. Yep, once I make up my mind on something, it gets done, lol. Now you know just how addicted I am - leaving a six figure job cause I don't have time to hunt for mercury dimes & barber quarters, hahaha.

On average, if the weather is cooperating, I usually get out 2 times per week. Maybe 12, 14 hours total. However, I'm actually in the process (trying) of organizing my life for 2014 and beyond; work, schedule, priorities, etc. based around my hunting. I want to live! Some things are more important than $$$. Being out in the fresh air, just you & the land...ain't nothing like it Yes

What about you guys?

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
02-22-2014, 09:14 PM
RE: How often do you detect?
Yes like everyone else I do not get out enough, and keep threatening I should quit working. Most weeks I can get out one or 2 days and the are normally sun rise to set.
Then for 3 months I work 7 days a week 16 hrs a day so no detecting.
The problem is I can make a pretty good living by detecting 4 day a week. I do have lots of luck.

Steveo, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jun 2013.
02-22-2014, 09:34 PM
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2014 09:38 PM by NjNyDigger.)
(02-22-2014 09:14 PM)Steveo Wrote:  Yes like everyone else I do not get out enough, and keep threatening I should quit working. Most weeks I can get out one or 2 days and the are normally sun rise to set.
Then for 3 months I work 7 days a week 16 hrs a day so no detecting.
The problem is I can make a pretty good living by detecting 4 day a week. I do have lots of luck.

Steve, in my haste, I would say YOU'VE GOT IT MADE! Being able to detect 4 days per week?! Sign me up!!! However...

The grass is probably always greener on the other side. Truthfully, one could imagine getting a little bored, or, it becoming a bit routine, since you have to do it for work. I can't imagine so, but, I've never been fortunate enough to find out. I think I'd be able to put in swinging 5 days a week without getting tired of it. But again, who knows.

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
02-22-2014, 11:24 PM
Joe and Steve,

I work seasonal in better weather (March through October) but I'm semi retired actually and only work 4 to 6 hours a day and just 3 to 4 days a week unless we are prepping for a weekend soccer tournament, then it's five days. I hunt usually after work probably every other day mostly to give my elbows and shoulders a break. I'd say on an average week, including Saturday and Sunday, I'm out 20 to 24 hours a week. I can go in good weather for 6 to 7 hours detecting only. I work in rain as well, and snow if the ground isn't frozen, fully protected including detector. As long as it's warm out rain doesn't stop me. Unless it's a boomer. Arctic Carhart's can be a PIA kneeling in snow. If I added drive time and making up my mind where to go I could easily add another hour per detecting day. Weekends are my prime time although I enjoy the peace and quiet I get from going out during the week after work. I am literally surrounded by parks and playing fields so picking a spot isn't that difficult, but making up my mind where to go is a bummer.Sad Especially if you started a pattern at one place and didn't write it down somewhere. I keep a half assed log of my search patterns and refer to them occasionally. I sometimes take reference pics with my phone. My woman sees my crabby mug all winter, she say's, "Get the hell out and go detecting."

I oblige her.Tongue

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
02-23-2014, 09:49 PM
I'm a trash hunter and freely admit it. I try to get out every day if only for a short hunt if that's all the weather or schedule will allow. 2 or 3 hours is a good enough fix. I'll hit a public park if that's all that's available or a school. Occasionally I'll arrange for a private residence but they're seldom very old here.

Dusty, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Aug 2013.
02-24-2014, 11:34 PM
Not often enough!! I would also like to fish, hunt, hike and camp more! And do all above with my kids n lady. But I work alot, and luckily I enjoy that too!!

My empire of dirt.
06-17-2014, 02:19 PM
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2014 01:23 AM by IndianaBones.)
Couple hours each day.
there`s a ton of history in the dirt down here. and im diggin it ...
06-17-2014, 07:36 PM
Well Joe.... Like you said NOT enough! If weather is good and no serious family issues or anything tcome up, I try to get out a minimum of 2-3 days after work each week for a couple hours each day. Also I like to get out for a whole day on the weekends. If I have extra time beyond that I spend it in the field. If I don't get at least that much time in a week I start withdrawing hard. I'm a detecting junkie.

PAunderground, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Mar 2014.
06-20-2014, 07:23 PM
Any time I want now that I'm retired. Before that about 1 or 2 time a week.

proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Aug 2013.
06-20-2014, 08:57 PM
Dam,Im jealous of all you guys! Right now,lucky to get out once a month. Its sporadic for me.

My empire of dirt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Last day to safely detect Zachbl92 5 240 12-05-2016 11:59 AM
Last Post: Bigtony
  Haven't been able to detect recently much so I made.... Zachbl92 4 289 06-23-2016 09:21 AM
Last Post: scott demont
  What is your motivation to metal detect? Ohio Dirt Fisher 6 351 11-28-2015 07:33 PM
Last Post: Bigtony
  DETECT AMERICA :LIVE Friday 8:30pm EST CMan1 1 224 09-12-2015 09:33 AM
Last Post: CMan1
  DETECT AMERICA :LIVE Friday 8:30pm EST CMan1 0 319 09-11-2015 07:58 PM
Last Post: CMan1

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)