IHP, Bullets, A thingy?? & Nice Plated Spoon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
10-19-2016, 07:03 PM
IHP, Bullets, A thingy?? & Nice Plated Spoon
Quote this message in a reply
Here's a wrap of the last few days. Found a 57 Wheat (not shown), a boatload of foil, 2 tent stakes (not shown) and a real nice plated Wm. A Rogers plated spoon in one area. Then in another area found the 2 bullets and the thingy, which I first thought was a flattened roundball but not after I cleaned it up a bit. I got no idea what it could be but it was 8 inches down in a long overgrown farm field. Then today, after hitting these same woods about 50 times, I turn up a 1893 IHP surrounded by 22 casings and shotgun headstamps flipping galore, like a war zone. And no foil to speak of but a few old broken bottles, including a milk bottle. So I'm going to go back there and dig more 22 casings and headstamps and see what else turns up!

Have fun out there Guys and Gals and HAPPY HUNTING!

ps...... WARNING! Don't wear you extra dark polarized sunglasses in the deep, dark, shadowy woods cause you might just almost break your leg tripping over a fallen branch!

Ed/ODF

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.jpg  1476918238_20161019_180004-1-horz.jpg (Size: 331.36 KB / Downloads: 20)

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
10-19-2016, 11:17 PM
RE: IHP, Bullets, A thingy?? & Nice Plated Spoon
I like your plated spoon Ed. I've never found one as nice; in fact all I've found were rusty or broken. The "thingy" is curious alright. Wondering if it could have been some type of crimp (if it's soft lead) for a wire fence, or a sinker. Let us know if you get some info.  Reading between the lines, your warning about dark glasses sounds like a "been there, done that" moment !

shadeseeker, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
10-20-2016, 05:45 AM
Now you can eat your pudding! The odd lead item looks like what shade was saying a seal on some thin wire perhaps to keep a loop together or a seal on the back doors of trucks to make sure they aren't opened by the driver until they arrive at the destination.

Cladjunky From Cleveland Mooning
Makro Racer with 7x11 coil
F75 with 11 inch and 15 inch coil DST
RT6DETECTORS.COM for the best deals!
AT Pinpointer and Lesche 31 inch
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-20-2016, 05:11 PM
Beautiful spoon, Ed. Fall hunting season should be in full swing by you now, hope you're making out good Yes

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
10-20-2016, 05:28 PM
Been there done that on the shades , not fun. I gotta agree on the spoon it is nice. It looks like a a fun area to hunt. All I find when I woods hunt are junk car parts and various spent shell casings , I guess the woods I choose aren't special enough.
  Good luck when you hit it again.
Pat

Digsit, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Feb 2016.
Remember for the good of the hobby It is better to ask for permission than to beg for forgiveness.
10-20-2016, 07:18 PM
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2016 07:53 PM by Ohio Dirt Fisher.)
(10-20-2016 05:11 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote:  Beautiful spoon, Ed. Fall hunting season should be in full swing by you now, hope you're making out good Yes

Joe

Thanks Joe! Glad to have you back and hope that weather there gets you out detecting! Yes

LOVE THAT AVATAR! That was the BEST craziest paranoid role I ever saw acted by Bogey that I've ever seen, with a second place crazy going to Heath Ledgers' "Joker" in that Batman movie!

Weather here is perfect! I was rained out at work by 11:00 a.m. and SOAKED to the skin by 4:30 p.m.!

I FLIPPING LOVE IT! Yes Beer

Ed

(10-20-2016 05:45 AM)Cladjunky Wrote:  Now you can eat your pudding! The odd lead item looks like what shade was saying a seal on some thin wire perhaps to keep a loop together or a seal on the back doors of trucks to make sure they aren't opened by the driver until they arrive at the destination.

I kinda thought that as well. Hint is I'm 100 yards from railroad tracks! Could be a dropped bag seal but there are no markings on it. Could be that the tool used to crimp it has the embossing and this one was either tossed or dropped before it was used to seal something. The spoon is Oneida/Hanover pattern 1901 (The year it was copyrighted) used by Rogers up until the late 30's! No pudding but it'll add to my collection of plate ware.

Ed

(10-20-2016 05:28 PM)Digsit Wrote:  Been there done that on the shades , not fun. I gotta agree on the spoon it is nice. It looks like a a fun area to hunt. All I find when I woods hunt are junk car parts and various spent shell casings , I guess the woods I choose aren't special enough.
  Good luck when you hit it again.
Pat

Now maybe that's not exactly true about the woods Pat. I find a lot of junk like car parts etc... too. But I hit them again and again and again. Each time choosing a different path and pattern. I go to woods like where I found the spoon and the Wheat, been there about 6 times now, where I haven't found "Anything" outside of maybe a couple of wheats. But, I keep going back because there is so much territory to cover and I keep changing my pattern of entry and exit. Once I start finding stuff like the above, I tune in the spot and see if it relates to maybe other spots like it. It is a crapshoot at best but I hope you can imagine how I felt when I hit that spoon.

My brother (the benevolent one) is a long distance runner. I've been there, years ago, when he participated in 100 mile cross country races. I asked him once why he does it, why he pushes himself like that? He told me that after the first five miles, the endorphins kick in and the rest of the race is like being in a dream.

Same goes for me Pat. I can spend a grueling 3 hours searching, finding nothing, and then BAM! A wheat, silver plate spoon and 2 tent stakes in the middle of nowhere. There then it becomes a dream. I just perk up and go on autopilot! And not only that, I feel simply great after humping around the woods for five or six miles of back and forth, pattern here, pattern there.

And I am a real dumbass when it comes to my sunglasses. This has happened to me about 5 times now and that last time I was going up and down a 90 foot slope covered with leaves and loose dirt. Luckily able to grab a firm sapling to halt the tumble. Otherwise I might have been in trouble. The detector and headphones made it to the valley. No harm done other than a lot of swearing and bitching.

Ed

Ed

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
10-20-2016, 08:19 PM
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2016 08:20 PM by updownup.)
Congrats on the neat finds in the middle of nowhere. I do not know what the thingy is, but all of you have some interesting guesses. I enjoy reading your post Ed, you put us there with you and I'm excited to see your next post no matter what you find. LMAO about the dark glasses and tripping, only because you didn't get hurt. I have done that too. Once I had a pair of shades so dark I gave them away too dark for me. I think you could have welded with them. Now days, I prefer lighter colored shades, since my eye sight isn't what it use to be.

Good luck, you're in the right spot. Spoon, IH, bullets its the beginning of something nice to come. I hope...

updownup, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
10-20-2016, 10:23 PM
Nice saves Ed Yes

BeerBeer

MichiganRelicHunter, proud to be a digger since 1977

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  #65 Wheats and Another Spoon! Ohio Dirt Fisher 2 33 11-22-2017 03:51 PM
Last Post: Digsit
  Nice Old Sterling Fork, IHP, BIRD BAND! Wheats! Ohio Dirt Fisher 7 142 10-12-2017 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ohio Dirt Fisher
  1-IHP and #51>53 in a spill! Ohio Dirt Fisher 5 83 10-11-2017 08:16 PM
Last Post: updownup
  #54! 10 Wheats & Jeff, Plated Spoon! Ohio Dirt Fisher 2 72 10-05-2017 06:07 PM
Last Post: Ohio Dirt Fisher
  New Area - New Finds! #36 > 38, IHP's, Relics!!!! Ohio Dirt Fisher 6 169 09-13-2017 06:49 AM
Last Post: Kajunman

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)