It is brass but what is it??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
01-25-2018, 06:18 PM
Quote this message in a reply
This object is made of 1/8 inch brass...The base is 1 1/2 inches tall..base with tab is 3 inches..top opening is 2 3/8 wide..1 1/2 inches front to back..bottom is 3 1/4 inches wide and 2 5/8 inches deep..turning it upside down the base has a roughly cut hole at each corner and a smaller hole in the center..also roughly cut...there was at one time iron bolted to the tab on the back side of the object with a bolt and square nut..the nut being on the outside of the object...the iron that is still attached to the tab is about 1/2 inch thick.. I can't find any marks of any kind anywhere on this object..

maryej13, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Mar 2017.
01-25-2018, 10:02 PM
RE: It is brass but what is it??
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2018 10:21 PM by shadeseeker.)
Hi Maryej: That's another interesting find you've come up with. If we are allowed to guess, I'd suggest that it is something on the order of a base for securing balusters (or spindles) of a railing or staircase to a flat surface such as a staircase tread. The flat side would be attached to a surface and the baluster inserted into the opening and secured with a screw through the tab. I'm trying to attach a photo of a bronze baluster base from a place called Antique Bronze. Looks similar. Anyway it's fun to guess and looking for other ideas.    

shadeseeker, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
01-25-2018, 10:47 PM
Hi Shadeseeker, that could be what it is!!..From the pictures, you posted I can see how they are very similar. It is a beautiful peace. Solid and heavy! This was found in a local (to me) fairgrounds. I had thought it could be from a carnival ride too. But I think your guess may be closer to what it really is..lol. You never know where people put things or why!! Thanks for your response! I am excited to see what someone else thinks it is. Someone knows for sure. They always come in after a few guesses. What fun. Happy

maryej13, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Mar 2017.
01-28-2018, 10:41 AM
I was thinking the same thing as Shade , I did not have as much documentation to back up my thoughts though...
Thanks for sharing an interesting puzzle.
Pat

Digsit, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Feb 2016.
Remember for the good of the hobby It is better to ask for permission than to beg for forgiveness.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big Brass Ring???? Ohio Dirt Fisher 5 383 03-21-2017 04:56 PM
Last Post: Ron (CA)
  Brass Item caprock 7 1,271 04-17-2015 09:14 PM
Last Post: Bigtony
  Brass Something Eric Foster 13 1,108 10-07-2014 10:33 PM
Last Post: NjNyDigger
  Round Copper or Brass Thingy's Ohio Dirt Fisher 10 1,549 09-12-2014 06:43 PM
Last Post: rockhunter005

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)