Minelab CTX 3030

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
05-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Tongue Minelab CTX 3030
Quote this message in a reply
My "go to" detector has been a White's DFX 300, Yes and I am happy to say I have never been "skunked" when using my White's. 

However, I am really frustrated Punch(NOT to the point of giving up, just fighting' mad and determined to tame this beast) with the CTX. I have used the stock programs that come with the CTX and also downloaded some programs from other users. My problem is that the CTX chatters like an agitated squirrel. I think it alerts on every thing that is in the ground. I continue to adjust the settings, but find that after a frustrating hour or two of use with little success, I put it away and pull out my DFX and find some coins. I could sure use some help with the CTX - please!!

ImDigginIt, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since May 2014.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-24-2014, 05:27 PM
RE: Minelab CTX 3030
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2014 06:38 PM by NjNyDigger.)
Hopefully Ron (CA) will chime in Yes Aside from being one of the top hunters on the west coast, he runs with the CTX...and he swings a MEAN stick Wink

I'm a Minelab guy, but, never touched a 3030. Questions though...

Is your sensitivity being set too high? This could be a culprit. Running in manual or automatic sensitivity? Tell us more, please.

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
05-24-2014, 10:21 PM
How much iron disc are you running?  Like Joe said give us some of your settings.....

khouse, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Feb 2014.
How to set up your detectors!
    Hear it - dig it - see it!
        100% live digs!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFYDdhr...j33uT4bHLA
05-25-2014, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I think the sensitivity was a lot of the problem. When I ready your responses, I went out and checked that setting - it was clear to max (from the previous owner - who had it set on manual and up 30). I have adjusted it to Auto sensitivity, and in the manual mode have dropped it to 18, and will try that. Thanks! I use GoneHunting's combined mode, and also have a training mode, as well as the pre-set modes. Lots of menus on the CTX - very customizable - but also very complex. I will do some digging tomorrow and will let you know how it works out for me.

05-25-2014, 11:05 AM
I run mine +3 and whenever it chatters it is usually due to interference.  Usually pressing the top button to block interference works, although I have been some places where it won't stop.  usually in urban areas where there is a large concentration of people makes it go a little nutz.

I don't know if it's a higher concentration of radio wave, or increase magnetic fields from underground wires...but when it's goes nuts like that I am forced to lower sensitivity.

Check out Tadpole 2 and Ghost programs...it's a very powerful combination to limit digging rusty iron that gives a false 12.40s on the "halo" of the rusty object.

jkeefer, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since May 2014.
05-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Auto plus 2 or 3 is a good way to start out and learn the tones.  Once you have the tones figured out you can run manual and bump it up a bit. You get used to the small squeeks as a false after a while .  Manual will gain a little more depth once you get over 26.

But the CTX will dig deep 8 inch coins down as low as 20 so don't worry too much about missing anything even if the machine is running at a lower sensitivity.

I personally prefer the 50 Cond Audio -- in high trash mode or ground coin mode.  The machine gives you so much information in regards to tone so why not use it (my opinion)

Good luck--the CTX is a great machine and you can do a lot with it, but don't over complicate it either.  Mine is a turn on a go machine at this point and I only adjust sens and ground balance when i get to a site.
05-26-2014, 10:40 AM
Don't have the CTX but my SE does the same thing. When I get to a site the first thing I do is a sensitivity check. In some remote spots I can get all the way up to 32 in auto and in other spots, more urban as you say, (overhead power lines, people talking on their phones) I have to turn it way down. Doesn't seem to affect the depth much at all, only the width of the diameter of the coil. In real trashy areas I have gone down to as low as 6 or 8. Still on auto and I use the noise cancel feature first, then adjust sensitivity. I'd love to own a CTX but I don't think I could swing it for more than an hour because of it's weight. I've seen some killer finds with it.

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
05-26-2014, 12:08 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2014 12:09 PM by ImDigginIt.)
        OK, went out his morning with my improved settings thanks to your help - just had a little over an hour hunting time plus travel due to family obligations today. But in my hour I found 
3 nickels: 1990, 1999, 2006
1 copper penny: 1979-D
1 silver Roosevelt dime: 1951-S (excellent condition).
Still have a LOT to learn about the CTX, but at least my level of frustration has been lowered thanks. Will keep working' at it.

Sorry - since the attachments don't show in the preview I see you got 3 of them (all 3 the same photo) - yikes! Lots to learn on the forum too.

05-26-2014, 12:14 PM
3 is better than one Happy Glad you're making progress! As with most things in life, repetition breeds good results, meaning, just keep practicing/swinging and before you know it, you'll be giving US pointers Yes

Nice silver, by the way!!!

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
05-26-2014, 12:45 PM
That's a good start. Ron knows his machine very well. Hope everything improves over time!!!!

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)