***MUST WATCH***

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-27-2014, 06:16 PM
***MUST WATCH***
Quote this message in a reply
This is an older video, maybe a year or so, however, everytime I watch it, it completely astounds me. Just goes to point our how much we miss due to depth. The fella is using a GPX 5000, which is a PI unit, to find signals in the 14 to 18" range. He then uses the Etrac to try and further decipher if the signal is iron or a good target. Exceptional system! Even more interesting...

Notice how even though he's digging items that are upwards of 18", they aren't even extremely old, maybe late 1800's. Imagine how deep stuff like busts, large cents and even earlier items can be! We could be talking several feet!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1KOQilvrZU

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
12-27-2014, 06:50 PM
RE: ***MUST WATCH***
Very interesting how the two machine's work.

proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Aug 2013.
12-27-2014, 07:16 PM
i try not to think about what i cannot reach, it would drive me nuts because i know it is down there. one day they will make a machine that will reach record depths with decent ID and then its game on all over again ...
12-27-2014, 07:19 PM
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2014 07:30 PM by MichiganRelicHunter.)
It's a good system in some senses Joe (I have watched that vid in the past a few times)

but

there's also potential to mis-read and leave behind good targets in how he's going about the overall process

notice after he finds/marks the targets with the GPX 5000 and then scans over the marked targets with the CTX

he automatically calls ALL of the targets he can hit with the CTX as "IRON"?

That's the "flaw" in his process

now - I agree that the very 1st target he scanned over with the CTX that was reading 35/22 at a shallow depth with a strong repeatable iron tone -- was in fact iron

but

the very next target reading 24/22 and only hitting as iron every other sweep or so but also hitting a mid tone every other sweep or so and being that it was "deeper" -- that was a diggable target too ----- so was the next one at the 24/43 reading and it did hit a high tone blip a couple times even though he said it wasn't high toning at all?

So

he is potentially leaving good targets in the ground based on his methodology and in calling EVERYTHING that the CTX hits as "iron" IF he doesn't get the classic 11/45 or 12/44 type signals WITH repeatable high tones basically!

Not as experienced of a digger as some may think he is = "guaranteed"!

I know the CTX pretty well and I'm tellin ya - I woulda dug MOST of those signals that it could hit JUST because of how they were acting and the fact that they did get a slight blip of a high tone every other sweep or so

it's the classic example of the post I just made the other day here with the CTX at the old VA hospital site = EXACT SAME THING and look at what I pulled outta there doing as described here (but that HE says is "iron")!

MichiganRelicHunter, proud to be a digger since 1977
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-27-2014, 07:36 PM
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2014 07:38 PM by NjNyDigger.)
(12-27-2014 07:19 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:  It's a good system in some senses Joe (I have watched that vid in the past a few times)

but

there's also potential to mis-read and leave behind good targets in how he's going about the overall process

notice after he finds/marks the targets with the GPX 5000 and then scans over the marked targets with the CTX

he automatically calls ALL of the targets he can hit with the CTX as "IRON"?

That's the "flaw" in his process

now - I agree that the very 1st target he scanned over with the CTX that was reading 35/22 at a shallow depth with a strong repeatable iron tone -- was in fact iron

but

the very next target reading 24/22 and only hitting as iron every other sweep or so but also hitting a mid tone every other sweep or so and being that it was "deeper" -- that was a diggable target too ----- so was the next one at the 24/43 reading and it did hit a high tone blip a couple times even though he said it wasn't high toning at all?

So

he is potentially leaving good targets in the ground based on his methodology and in calling EVERYTHING that the CTX hits as "iron" IF he doesn't get the classic 11/45 or 12/44 type signals WITH high tones basically!

Not as experienced of a digger as some may think he is = "guaranteed"!

I know the CTX pretty well and I'm tellin ya - I woulda dug MOST of those signals that it could hit JUST because of how they were acting and the fact that they did get a slight blip of a high tone every other sweep or so

it's the classic example of the post I just made the other day here with the CTX at the old VA hospital site = EXACT SAME THING and look at what I pulled outta there doing as described here (but that HE says is "iron")!

I agree wholeheartedly, and I'm not just blowing smoke when I say that, Wayne. Fact is, targets at an extreme depth such as those should pretty much all be dug. Yes, it's a crapshoot, but, the odds are in one's favor to pull up something good, as you're now dealing with a depth that other hunters have never touched...virgin ground! At an old site, anything deep, unless you're fairly sure (80% or better) it's iron, needs to be dug. The reason I commend this fella though, although his technique is a bit flawed, he is thinking outside the box. Most detectorists would never consider using a PI on land. Instead, they want to hunt in coin mode (lol), notch the machine out to death, and expect to find old stuff. This is whatcha call making a tough job even tougher. There's a reason I hunt in all metal 99% of the time. I want NO interference. No nulling. I want to hear EVERYTHING. I want to squeeze every last drop of depth possible from my machine.

While he should be doing things differently, this guy is literally going where no other detectorist has gone before. Depth.

Pittsburgh Will uses a PI machine on land. I think it's a TERRIFIC idea. Would I use one at a moderate to heavy trash spot? Absolutely not! However, give me a fairly clean, old patch of land & a PI, and I'm off to the races!!! Going to be one of my experiments this summer Yes Maybe Will can lend me his machine Happy

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
12-27-2014, 07:47 PM
(12-27-2014 07:36 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote:  The reason I commend this fella though, although his technique is a bit flawed, he is thinking outside the box. Most detectorists would never consider using a PI on land. Instead, they want to hunt in coin mode (lol), notch the machine out to death, and expect to find old stuff. This is whatcha call making a tough job even tougher. There's a reason I hunt in all metal 99% of the time. I want NO interference. No nulling. I want to hear EVERYTHING. I want to squeeze every last drop of depth possible from my machine.

Joe

Agree wholeheartedly with all of the above Joe Wink

Beer

MichiganRelicHunter, proud to be a digger since 1977
12-27-2014, 07:52 PM
I was using a PI today. I'll post it up soon.

PittsburghWill, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"  Willy Wonka

I've lived. Not always well, but long enough.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Watch those Mosquitos!!!!!! Ohio Dirt Fisher 7 831 07-19-2014 09:54 PM
Last Post: Ohio Dirt Fisher

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)