My GAR Badge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
03-07-2015, 10:25 PM
My GAR Badge
Quote this message in a reply
I saw that another guy here had found one and I thought I'd post mine. I found mine at my old high school. It was actually in fill that they brought in to fill in where they took out part of the parking lot.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Joe Klink, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Feb 2015.
I've been detecting for 15 years or so now. I primarily hunt colonial sites, woods and fields. My main detector is a CTX3030. Also have an ATPro and an Excal II, 10" for the beaches.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2015, 10:31 PM
RE: My GAR Badge
Yeah those are very cool. Watched Mark dig one in one of our sites!!

The history on them is pretty interesting!
03-07-2015, 10:40 PM
Great dig! A lot of history in that little badge.

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
03-07-2015, 10:40 PM
That is way cool. I have pictures of my Great Grandpa in a GAR parade.

Mike Miller, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Dec 2014.
03-07-2015, 10:41 PM
And I just realized that mine is numbered as well meaning it's not a fake or reproduction. To bad it's not traceable.

I've been detecting for 15 years or so now. I primarily hunt colonial sites, woods and fields. My main detector is a CTX3030. Also have an ATPro and an Excal II, 10" for the beaches.
03-07-2015, 11:01 PM
I'd be over the moon if I ever found one of those. And the condition of yours is incredible! What's the story behind that? Found in the woods, on a farm field?

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
03-07-2015, 11:24 PM
Fantastic badge! I found a smaller version at a demo once,but yours is much nicer! Ray

My empire of dirt.
03-08-2015, 12:37 AM
Joe, I found mine at my old high school. They did a big renovation and tore out park of one of the parking lots. I've hunted this school to death. Had to stay out of the area because they had planted grass there and I never thought there would be anything there because it was filled. Well I finally gave it a try and pulled probably 20 or more wheats and maybe 10 silvers out of it. The GAR badge came from the back corner but was in the area that was filled for sure. My buddy Rick even got an Indian Head from that spot. I did a couple videos from that spot since it was producing so much. I hit it length wise and went back and hit it across the lot. I think there might be some more there but will hit it again when we get thawed out. Even going to go on a nickel tone hunt with my CTX. Dig all the low tones since good high tones are getting hard to come by.

03-08-2015, 01:13 AM
(03-08-2015 12:37 AM)Joe Klink Wrote:  Joe, I found mine at my old high school. They did a big renovation and tore out park of one of the parking lots. I've hunted this school to death. Had to stay out of the area because they had planted grass there and I never thought there would be anything there because it was filled. Well I finally gave it a try and pulled probably 20 or more wheats and maybe 10 silvers out of it. The GAR badge came from the back corner but was in the area that was filled for sure. My buddy Rick even got an Indian Head from that spot. I did a couple videos from that spot since it was producing so much. I hit it length wise and went back and hit it across the lot. I think there might be some more there but will hit it again when we get thawed out. Even going to go on a nickel tone hunt with my CTX. Dig all the low tones since good high tones are getting hard to come by.

I work in a very similar way, Joe. I mainly chase the high conductive signals, but I'll dig some mid/low tones if they're deep, for shits & giggles. I work this way as it's very competitive around here. There are probably hundreds of other detectorists within 50 miles of me. So, I go in for the easy kills first, as they mightn't be there next time, and once a site starts going dry, I will then switch gears and dig only the mid/low tones from there on out.

I actually do well in filled spots. The key of course, is only digging the super deep signals, which are normally below the fill (unless the fill is more than 6" or so, then it's pretty much useless). Remember too, that many times we aren't privy to where that fill is coming from. It might be from an old spot! I hunted a place here in NJ which is old. Activity going back 100 or 150 years. Yet, the first few times I hunted it, nothing major, maybe a silver rosie. Then, out of nowhere, I dig up a real. My head was spinning. And this place is SURELY filled. So, it either came in with the new dirt, or I was able to dig down far enough to hit the original soil.

This hobby can really drive one batty sometimes, lol.

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
03-08-2015, 01:21 AM
Very cool find, congrats!

Remember when your cup holder sat next to you in a mini skirt and tank top?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Eagle Button & Sheriff's Badge NjNyDigger 14 1,070 07-05-2015 10:38 AM
Last Post: MichiganRelicHunter
  Went out today March 24th one silver and one badge Bigtony 9 722 03-26-2015 02:37 PM
Last Post: bulletbob
  GAR Medal bulletbob 10 757 11-24-2014 08:59 PM
Last Post: RelicMedic
  Rare Badge? NjNyDigger 10 1,445 11-13-2014 12:17 PM
Last Post: AndreyNY
  Fire Brigade badge. stevieB 4 413 09-25-2014 02:42 PM
Last Post: stevieB

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)