New Coil for e-trac

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
01-08-2015, 12:31 PM
New Coil for e-trac
Quote this message in a reply
Hey guys, haven't posted in a while. I have been thinking about getting a new coil for my E-trac to replace my stock one because I think its going bad. I have a 6x8 SEF that I like to use, but need something with a little more depth. I mainly hunt homesites and woods...with the occasional park hunt thrown in there. I really like the looks of the Detech Ultimate 13", but I feel like it wouldn't do well at homesites because of trash/iron. But at the same time I hear it actually has good separation for a big coil and I use TTF most of the time which lets me hear every signal pretty much. If you guys have any suggestions as to a good coil to try, feel free to let me know

Detectors used: XP Deus ws4 11" coil, Minelab Sovereign GT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-08-2015, 03:38 PM
RE: New Coil for e-trac
Get another stock coil. It is the best coil for that machine. IMHO
01-08-2015, 07:34 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2015 07:35 PM by Dusty.)
I have the Ultimate---in a box , because I don't think it's that much if any improvement over the stock in my ground plus it's heavier and not as nimble. Someday I'll sell it when I can get motivated enough to hassle with shipping it to someone . I agree the procoil is pretty tough to beat but you might also consider the 10x12 SEF or the NEL coil , I think it's the Tornado. I've been using the NEL Sharpshooter (5.5 x 9.5) on my etrac and like it better than the 6x8 and NELs come with a 2 years warranty vs the SEF 1 year.

Dusty, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Aug 2013.
01-09-2015, 11:58 AM
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2015 12:00 PM by DigDugNY.)
Well for those places where I need a little more depth, the stock coil isnt cutting it for me. People say they can get 10" coins with the thing and i'm lucky if I can get 7 in clean ground. The 6x8 gets more depth than it. I dont know if that means its a bad coil or I'm not using it right...but it makes it hard to justify wanting to buy a new one if in fact there's nothing wrong with it. Most aftermarket coils are less expensive than the pro coil, so even if one is comparable to the stock coil I may want to see if it just works better for my area

01-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Unless you are in some unique soil, the stock coil is the best coil.

I have used it in all parts of the country so maybe it is a bad coil.

Depth is relative to the soil. so if someone is getting 10 inches in loamy black dirt that does not mean I will get 10" in the red mineral clay in Virginia or in California.
01-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Yea idk...im in New York and the soil around here isn't too bad. I'm just saying i'm not getting the performance out of the stock like most people do so the coil could be very well be going bad, but its hard to know for sure...I still have warranty on the detector, but when I called minelab the other day, they said they don't have warranty on the coil

01-11-2015, 12:01 AM
Etrac has a 1 yr warranty on the coil.

But if you can air test a qtr at 12-14 inches with a sensitivity of around 20-22 then I would say the coil is working.

Run Sensitivity in Manual as you will get better depth that way.
01-11-2015, 11:21 AM
I would have to agree with ron if its working there is nothing wrong with it, unless its cracked and gets wet and shorts then dries and works. I don't know how you ate testing and seeing the smaller one gets better depth. But you have to remember inelab do not air test well at all. Another thing is you could be going to fast the etrac is not know for speed. Mostly the standard coil is made to be the best set up for the machine and you get smaller coils for trashy areas and bigger coils for less target areas.
Happy Hunting

Steveo, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jun 2013.
01-11-2015, 01:23 PM
You want depth AND separation? = 10x14" DD EQ Excelerator coil is UNmatched = BLOWS the stock coil out of the water by a mile (but good luck finding one) - they don't make them anymore but you can find them used now and then,

also - the 4.5x7" DD EQ Excelerator coil is a MUST have too (still available) from Kellyco and a few others

it is THE BEST coil ever made for the Etrac as for iron/trash work AND for depth for being such a small coil - it will closely match the depth of the stock coil all day but separate on a world class level UNmatched by any other coil ever made for the E

If I had another Etrac = these would be the ONLY 2 coils I'd own/use with the 4.5x7 being the main coil and the larger for the occasions when EXTREME depth is needed. I dug an 1830s large cent in a field at approx. 15" deep using the 10x14" DD EQ (here in Michigan dirt) which GB at an avg. of 85 on Deus, AT Pro, Gold Bug Pro, and F75 machines

I owned and used 7 different coils on the Etrac - the 13" ultimate is a waste of $$ on an FBS machine - it's really no better than the stock coil (you may gain a 1/2" of depth) but that's about it... The 5x10 joey by coiltek is complete JUNK on an Etrac and the SEF's are mid-level as for depth/separation performance/quality compared to the EQ DD Excelerators

take it for what it's worth

Beer

MichiganRelicHunter, proud to be a digger since 1977
01-11-2015, 11:10 PM
(01-11-2015 01:23 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:  You want depth AND separation? = 10x14" DD EQ Excelerator coil is UNmatched = BLOWS the stock coil out of the water by a mile (but good luck finding one) - they don't make them anymore but you can find them used now and then,

also - the 4.5x7" DD EQ Excelerator coil is a MUST have too (still available) from Kellyco and a few others

it is THE BEST coil ever made for the Etrac as for iron/trash work AND for depth for being such a small coil - it will closely match the depth of the stock coil all day but separate on a world class level UNmatched by any other coil ever made for the E

If I had another Etrac = these would be the ONLY 2 coils I'd own/use with the 4.5x7 being the main coil and the larger for the occasions when EXTREME depth is needed. I dug an 1830s large cent in a field at approx. 15" deep using the 10x14" DD EQ (here in Michigan dirt) which GB at an avg. of 85 on Deus, AT Pro, Gold Bug Pro, and F75 machines

I owned and used 7 different coils on the Etrac - the 13" ultimate is a waste of $$ on an FBS machine - it's really no better than the stock coil (you may gain a 1/2" of depth) but that's about it... The 5x10 joey by coiltek is complete JUNK on an Etrac and the SEF's are mid-level as for depth/separation performance/quality compared to the EQ DD Excelerators

take it for what it's worth

Beer

wow, that 10x14 coil sounds like it a winner. why did they stop making it? if you ever see one for sale for the etrac keep me informed

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  TO TRADE MY E TRAC FOR A DEUS? Firedigger109 12 2,142 08-24-2016 02:55 PM
Last Post: RelicMedic
  E-Trac or CTX 3030 Firedigger109 12 1,680 07-04-2016 10:09 AM
Last Post: Bigtony
  New minelab E trac Firedigger109 7 1,417 04-04-2015 03:02 PM
Last Post: Bigtony
  Upgrading my E-trac even more DigDugNY 6 1,208 02-27-2015 12:02 PM
Last Post: DigDugNY
  Safari or E-trac PAunderground 8 3,227 03-24-2014 05:40 PM
Last Post: NjNyDigger

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)