Nighthawks Strike Again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-18-2016, 01:33 AM
Nighthawks Strike Again
Quote this message in a reply
I can't even fathom hunting a 5,000 year old piece of land. God only knows what history lays under that soil. Unfortunately, these fellas were not permitted to be detecting there...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ussex.html

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
12-19-2016, 01:07 AM
RE: Nighthawks Strike Again
It seems there are always a few willing to risk just about everything to get a trophy find. Sadly, in addition to harming the site, they also risk the goodwill engendered by hunters who do it right. If a site is protected it clearly and plainly means "stay off". Not so hard to comprehend.  It was good to note that the metal detecting community there is also very upset with what the culprits did.

shadeseeker, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
12-19-2016, 12:41 PM
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2016 12:49 PM by NjNyDigger.)
(12-19-2016 01:07 AM)shadeseeker Wrote:  It seems there are always a few willing to risk just about everything to get a trophy find. Sadly, in addition to harming the site, they also risk the goodwill engendered by hunters who do it right. If a site is protected it clearly and plainly means "stay off". Not so hard to comprehend.  It was good to note that the metal detecting community there is also very upset with what the culprits did.

Yes, they're nitwits, for sure, Shade. But they're savvy nitwits. And while I would never even dream of doing the same, their motivation is certainly clear, and I can at least understand it. $$$.

Here, places like battlefields, state parks, etc. are off limits. Even if one was dumb enough to buck the rules and hunt a place like that, what's the most they would find? A large cent? A seated? A mess of old bullets? From a historical standpoint, that's great, but nobody in their right mind would risk a fine, or potential criminal prosecution over stuff like that.

In other parts of the world though, where the history is so much more immense, there's a very real possibility of striking upon a hoard, or a significant find worth hundreds of thousands. It's almost commonplace. So, they're smart enough to realize they're in the right location, and seek to capitalize on that. Whether legally or illegally. The risk/reward ratio is high enough on both sides to attempt it.

I was having an excellent email chat with an author of many metal detecting articles and a few books on our hobby the other day, when I casually mentioned a great treasure hunting book I read years ago. He replied back and told me he had hunted with the author a number of years back, and the author was busted for detecting on some kind of property where he wasn't supposed to be. Surprised the shit outta me! The book is still in circulation, and is pretty well known, even though it's older. So...

Just goes to show, I guess we all have a bit of larceny in our hearts, to some degree. Whether we choose to act on it or not.

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
12-19-2016, 01:10 PM
You are right about the risk/reward aspect of this story Joe and I'm sure those diggers were very much aware of the value of what they might turn up. Also from looking at the very rural nature of the site, I'd bet they thought the chance of being caught in the act was remote. I would also expect that these guys have the "danger gene", that part of our brain that makes some of us embrace the thrill of danger and risk that others avoid at all costs. SteveO digs a lot in England and I'll bet he could comment about the punishment these guys could face if they are ever caught.

shadeseeker, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
12-19-2016, 08:05 PM
Wow that is crazy, over here in the states if you get caught doing this you could go to jail plus lose detector, car, or boat. What ever is being used in the act or if you take the stolen stuff to your house you could lose that also.
Over in England and Europe they are really touchy about this stuff, I could only image what they would do if you were caught. As a club that I belong to in England we have about 5000 acres to hunt and this changes all the time. The person that sets it all up makes sure every farm we get does not have a areas we cannot detect. There is so many old places where its not allowed Castles, churches, Roman burials. And things like this worry me because you never know when they will get tired of it and not allow anyone to detect

Steveo, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jun 2013.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)