No Excuses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-01-2016, 05:39 PM
No Excuses
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 05:44 PM by NjNyDigger.)
Quote this message in a reply
I've gotten a few replies from members, voicing their opinions about the new coin system, and wanted to put this out there...

The new system mightn't seem that attractive, however, it represents a much needed change. Previously, everyone was being rewarded for sparse activity. Not fair, and not manageable, from my perspective. The old way promoted inactivity, period.

Many might few the 15 posts per day redemption clause as excessive. I disagree. Initiating 2, 3 or 4 new threads per day takes all but a few minutes. And replying to threads is even easier. But you're not doing it for nothing, as with all of the other forums out there. You're earning something in return. So, while it might take a few added minutes out of your day, it is worth it, both for each member personally, and the community. As I've said before, there are no free rides. We tried that avenue previously, and it clearly did not work.

Another issue I'm hearing a lot of is, even if members want to post, there's no content to reply to. The easy answer is then, create it yourself. Start a couple of threads. Are we all zombies with no thoughts, ideas & feelings about this hobby? Use those ten little things called fingers, and punch the keys on your computer. Get some conversation going. If you were at a party, would you stand in the corner all night, with your back turned towards everyone, not saying a word? I think not, so why do it here? And expect freebies? Further...

Even without any new content, there is MUCH to reply to. Shadeseeker took the time & effort to post a great blog article a few days ago. Guess how many responses there was? One...me. Have we really replied to every thread? Do conversations within threads just end, dead? No, so get in there and keep the dialogue open. The "no content to respond to" line doesn't really wash with me. And even if it did, again...

Start CREATING content. We can let excuses fly till kingdom come, which won't do the community any good, or, we can have the gumption to be leaders, and put effort in.

As I said to someone else, and this offer stands, if anyone can find another member willing to foot the bill for the prizes, postage & labor involved for the free gear program, I'll gladly revert the coin system back to originality. But don't expect me to keep treading water doing it myself, when I'm returned with nothing but piss poor member activity.

I don't believe in excuses. I believe in getting the job done, whatever it takes. That's why I have the #1 used detector classifieds site on the web. The forum on the other hand, the majority of members look for easy outs, which is why we are where we are, today.

I'm obviously not speaking to ALL members. There are indeed a few (you & I know who your are) who go the extra mile, and are givers. Until others start following suit, believe me, nothing is going to change.

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
07-01-2016, 09:31 PM
RE: No Excuses
I anticipated some backlash to Joe's new format changes for the coin redemption policy. But I would like to urge all the members interested in participating to give the program an honest try. After a number of PMs back and forth with Joe I came to a new understanding of the depth of feeling he has for this site, and just how much time, labor, money and emotion he has invested.  I believe we owe him the effort.  But this is not just about Joe, and it's not just about rewards; it's about us and the site we have chosen to call our own. The more we put into it, the better it will be. Even if we fail to meet the new redemption levels, or if we choose not to participate at that level, but still give an extra effort, we will still have made the forum a better venue. And that has been the goal all along.

I don't  pretend to speak for Joe. He does that quite well by himself. These are my thoughts alone and I urge you to offer your own.

shadeseeker, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-01-2016, 11:03 PM
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 11:04 PM by NjNyDigger.)
(07-01-2016 09:31 PM)shadeseeker Wrote:  I anticipated some backlash to Joe's new format changes for the coin redemption policy. But I would like to urge all the members interested in participating to give the program an honest try. After a number of PMs back and forth with Joe I came to a new understanding of the depth of feeling he has for this site, and just how much time, labor, money and emotion he has invested.  I believe we owe him the effort.  But this is not just about Joe, and it's not just about rewards; it's about us and the site we have chosen to call our own. The more we put into it, the better it will be. Even if we fail to meet the new redemption levels, or if we choose not to participate at that level, but still give an extra effort, we will still have made the forum a better venue. And that has been the goal all along.

I don't  pretend to speak for Joe. He does that quite well by himself. These are my thoughts alone and I urge you to offer your own.

Shade, thank you for understanding, and for explaining it concisely and clearly, which I sometimes fail to do.

Guys, please know, this isn't being done out of anger, or spite. Rather, it's being done out of frustration. I believe we have a great place here, and with the right cohesive spirit, we can have an active, thriving community, which is truly my only desire.

I don't live in a bubble, and I realize each of us have lives outside of metal detecting/TC, so, all these new changes might seem like drastic measures, and they probably are, but I believe we need a wake-up call...myself included. Something to help arouse our energy.

Of course, we can always modify anything in our community, the coin program included. But maintaining it in the prior format, simply isn't worth it to me when the activity is so stagnant. I want a winner, comprised of winners, and I know it's possible, it just takes follow through and effort. We already have the nucleus, however small it may be, it just needs to be energized.

Some of you might be thinking; "This nutcase keeps harping about blogs, posts, yadda, yadda, yadda!" Well, it's not the assorted activities that matter, as much as it is the INTENTION behind them. Shade was nice enough to write a great blog article. Yes, it's 'only' a blog article. However, what's meaningful is that he took HIS time, his energy, his sweat, and did it for our site. THAT is the important factor that's being overlooked by so many. If we have that same effort X10, X25 or X50, it catches on, and builds momentum.

Nobody wants to invest in a losing horse. Just as I've done for almost the past 4 years, nothing makes me happier than to give away gear and prizes for contests. I do it for many reasons, my passion for the hobby being chief among them. But I don't want to feel like I'm being taken for a ride, either. And when I put so much into this stuff, and see where the participation levels are, how can I think any differently?

I wish it never came to this, but if one way doesn't work, we need to test different waters. Unfortunately, we don't have thousands upon thousands of members to draw on. Which means we each have to pitch in a bit more to keep the lights on. It's either that, or we slip into a morass of no activity and eventual forum death. And I don't like that option Yes

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
07-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Well said Tom ?Yes
I do agree though. I hope we can all start pitching in and make this place great again. And eventually new members will come and stay.
Let's make it happenBeerBeer

Zachbl92, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum and detectorist since Nov 2015.
Garret At Pro(12x13, 8.5x11, 5x8, 4.5") Garret At Pinpointer, GG original headphones, Predator Piranha/Little Eagle T shovel, Lesche hand digger.
Button Count FTY: Lost count

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)