Pinpointers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
11-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Pinpointers
Quote this message in a reply
This may have been asked before ,but what kind of pinpointers are you using? I use a sunray DX1 on my DFX,I like it because don't have to take off headphones when using.  . My son uses a whites bullseye II but it kind of a pain in the but because of the false signals and its kind of bulky.

biggredd1972, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013. Proud to be using a White's DFX with sunrayDX1 inline probe.Newly added in Jan/2015 White's V3I.
11-04-2014, 08:50 PM
RE: Pinpointers
I like the new Whites TRX.  I had a DX1 when I had an M6.  It was cool.

PittsburghWill, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"  Willy Wonka

I've lived. Not always well, but long enough.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-04-2014, 09:59 PM
SunRay's are pretty much the gold standard. They do have some drawbacks though, like everything else, yet, they're practically unbeatable, IMO. I use a Garrett, which is right up there, too. The TRX, and all the others will get the job done also. Spending over $100 will ensure quality when it comes to pinpointers. The only ones I'd avoid like the plague (unless one has no other options), are those Harbor Freight ones. They actually work surprisingly well for the price, however, they're built like shit, and the sensitivity sucks.

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
11-04-2014, 10:46 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2014 08:38 PM by Ohio Dirt Fisher.)
I've got a Garrett Pro Pointer and a Deteknix Xpointer. I use the Xpointer more because it doesn't interfere as much with my Minelab SE Pro, except when I'm in very high sensitivity (over 20 out of 32 limit). And the bigger the coil, the bigger the antenna, so more interference. There are a lot of pinpointers out there now. There's a new one out called the Makro, which has its' advantages as it's waterproof and comes with it's own full body tip shield and an extra one if you really abuse pinpointers like I do. Then there's the White's TRX, which from what i've seen is also a good unit and reads pretty deep. But falsing on targets in the hole is a common problem with handheld units. I mean to say sometimes you're in a situation where there's a lot of trash around the real target and the pinpointer picks it up as well. Then it becomes a process of elimination. The Sunray probes are convenient in that you are using the detectors headphones to hear the probe, which is a Godsend because you can switch off the detector and switch on the probe. Then you get the same tone the detector hears which helps immensely with falsing. I'd love to get the Sunray probe for my SE Pro but it's out of my price range right now and Sunray quit making them as new units. The difference for me would be the tone duplication of the probe. As is, the Garrett is excellent on depth but has no ability to vary it's detection depth as does the Xpointer. In certain situations of very trashy areas, the ability of the Xpointer to let the user decide the detection depth has been very helpful in finding the real target. There are a lot of newer units showing up over the last year and I think the industry is starting to see the niche market for the many professional detectorists out in the field and introducing options that are both useful and important to making a find. The decision is of course up to the user as to how much he wants to or can spend and what actual use he'll get from it.

Hope this helps and good luck making the wise choice for your needs! It's a jungle out there!!

Ed

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
11-05-2014, 02:27 AM
The makro sounds like a great addition for a Garrett at pro I've been considering saving for one of them to but it maybe to much of a learning curve from my DFX

biggredd1972, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013. Proud to be using a White's DFX with sunrayDX1 inline probe.Newly added in Jan/2015 White's V3I.
11-05-2014, 07:38 PM
I use the Pro Pointer from Minelab, last week it just stop working. The light will come on but no buzz or beep. I called Minelab and they said mail it in and they would send me a new one. I told them that i got this in a trade, they ask for the # on the pointer and said to send it in. It is not very old, but i had no box, no papers. I sent it Mon. and  don,t know what will happen. I will let you all know.

Dean Stone, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013.
11-05-2014, 08:10 PM
If they stand behind their product like that then that's a good warranty.

11-05-2014, 08:48 PM
(11-05-2014 02:27 AM)biggredd1972@yahoo.com Wrote:  The makro sounds like a great addition for a Garrett at pro I've been considering saving for one of them to but it maybe to much of a learning curve from my DFX

Not really too much different. You're still dealing with the same VID kinda numbers. The sensitivity is about the same but the tones are a little different. One thing I like about the ATPro and GOLD is the iron mask is superb at the lower 3rd settings. I had a AT Pro for about 2 months then sold it to my son to get up enough money for the SE Pro. Which wasn't too much of a learning curve once I understood how the machine worked. I may yet get an AT GOLD as I like the waterproof ability and I do a lot of river cracks by snorkel when the weather gets too hot to swing over grass. But it would be nice to have anyway as an alternate machine.

Ed

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
11-06-2014, 07:22 PM
The main reason I'm looking is my 15yr old son goes with me most of the time, he takes my Bounty Hunter Lone Star and bulls eye pin pointer  , but he is wanting  better equipment . Money is always tight but we still do what we can for our kids so looking for him. His main complaint is with the pinpointer but thinking about an upgrade machine for him too.

11-06-2014, 08:34 PM
(11-06-2014 07:22 PM)biggredd1972@yahoo.com Wrote:  The main reason I'm looking is my 15yr old son goes with me most of the time, he takes my Bounty Hunter Lone Star and bulls eye pin pointer  , but he is wanting  better equipment . Money is always tight but we still do what we can for our kids so looking for him. His main complaint is with the pinpointer but thinking about an upgrade machine for him too.

I would definitely upgrde the pinpointer first. Its amazing when you get your first real good pinpointer in your hand. The finds come out so much easier. He will love that.

PittsburghWill, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"  Willy Wonka

I've lived. Not always well, but long enough.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  just listed a couple handheld pinpointers if anyone is in the market. Ron (CA) 0 155 04-08-2017 04:26 PM
Last Post: Ron (CA)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)