Plated Pocket Watch Case & Bottle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
10-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Plated Pocket Watch Case & Bottle
Quote this message in a reply
Trying to do the woods with trees down and miscellaneous swampy ponds is a real bear! Forget about patterns, that's stuff for somebodies back yard. But sometimes you just run across stuff that you'd never expect. I found this pocket watch case 2 feet from the edge of one of the ponded areas I mentioned and the bottle about 50 feet from the bottle I posted yesterday. It's a shame it's broken. I noticed some stamping on the inside back of the watch case but can't make out much of anything else. I searched the area in vain for any other pieces. I'm certain it's a plated watch case not a gold filled. And although the milk or cream bottle is broken, I thought I'd bring it along anyway. I didn't even notice the etchings on it until my wife inspected it and told me. So I'm going to do some research tonight to see if I can get dates on these two. I'm telling you, the nulling is enormous, so much so that I'm stopping to let the SE catch up and switching often to AM just to hear signal. If I go over 22 sense, it mostly blanks out. But there's stuff there. Four more shotgun brass, big iron pipe couplings and unions, and a ton of cans, mostly steel, like food cans.

Have a great time out there and Happy Hunting!

Ed

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
10-09-2014, 09:09 PM
RE: Plated Pocket Watch Case & Bottle
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2014 12:10 PM by IndianaBones.)
looks like my past few days, few odds and ends.
nice hunt ...

BONES ...
10-09-2014, 09:36 PM
(10-09-2014 09:09 PM)IndianaBones Wrote:  looks like my past few days, few odds and ends.
that watch case is pretty nice, that would have belonged to a fairly large and fancy pocket watch , would have been great to pull the rest or the whole thing. maybe on the next trip there.
the milk jug should make some fun research. i love looking up the old bottles, always a fun read and story to go with them ...

nice hunt ...

BONES ...
BONES,

I've been dry on silver since last Friday and it's starting to irk me a bit. I can't say I'm not learning anything about the areas I'm tromping through but I still can't get the whole picture. How do I find a 1907 Barber Quarter and 2 IH's behind a medium sized tree in the middle of the woods and then a 48 Rosie between two enormous pines 150 feet away and then SCOUR the places with nothing to show for it. I know now it was game hunted quite a bit and that there were workman there installing pipes and such, but the areas are so huge it would take the remainder of my life to find any more silver there. So I'm moving on to other areas. Regardless of a pocket watch case, soda bottle from 1937 and shotgun brass no later than the late 20's, I have to move on. I'll get back there someday. I do find the glassware thing a real kick in the head because it may help date the area along with the shotgun brass. Unlike your site where you have hundreds and hundreds of years to sift through, I up here maybe have 200 years and that's about it. When I find something with 1903 on it, I'm ecstatic about the find. You and I hunt two different plateaus of history. I'm in the younger section and you are in the older section. You are blessed, but as I, sometimes you have to move to renew the spirit of the find! Good luck my friend!

Ed

10-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Cool finds Ohio

love the moo juice bottle - wish it wasn't broken Speechless

MichiganRelicHunter, proud to be a digger since 1977
10-09-2014, 10:15 PM
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 10:17 PM by IndianaBones.)
drives me nuts too, but im still pretty new to this etrac so im not sure if im just not setting things up right, as i guess from what i read even slight adjustments can mask or hide good targets. so i keep reading and adjusting trying new things. but i just can`t walk away from this site. i have found too much old history here, and i know i am just breaking the surface. so until i get this etrac set to where i think is optimal for my spot and search every inch again im sticking it out, after that, i`ll switch to a smaller coil and do it all over again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and yet again .
kinda like my ground hogs day, same spot every day, same trees, same rocks,
hell i have even seen the same snakes sitting on the same logs for several days at a time. i`ll start naming them and bringing them food soon .
i have found 7 pre 1600`s and 3 pre 1800`s coins and the gold 1853 dollar all in a 40 50 foot radius. there is close to 500 acres. if i can find that in just 50 square feet total space, there is no telling what is just behind that next tree. i keep going over the same square and keep pulling more every time. soon im going to move over 50 feet and start all over.
but I have to wait for things to thin out a bit, the undergrowth is just way to tangley and thick ... like i have said before, this will likely be my final detecting spot. there is 500 plus years of U.S. history out there. even incised Native American pottery dating to 600 B.C.
so im stuck where i am. no need to research any further spots ... this is it ...

BONES ...
10-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Nice!

My empire of dirt.
10-09-2014, 10:45 PM
Thank you for the read Ed, the story on that milk jug is incredible .
the old bottles usually have such an interesting story behind them .

really fun read ... and very interesting ...

BONES ...
10-09-2014, 10:55 PM
(10-09-2014 10:45 PM)IndianaBones Wrote:  Thank you for the read Ed, the story on that milk jug is incredible .
the old bottles usually have such an interesting story behind them .

really fun read ... and very interesting ...

BONES ...

For anyone else's interest, here's the link:

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestr...derht.html

Ed

10-09-2014, 11:23 PM
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 11:37 PM by MichiganRelicHunter.)
(10-09-2014 10:15 PM)IndianaBones Wrote:  drives me nuts too, but im still pretty new to this etrac so im not sure if im just not setting things up right, as i guess from what i read even slight adjustments can mask or hide good targets. so i keep reading and adjusting trying new things. but i just can`t walk away from this site. i have found too much old history here, and i know i am just breaking the surface. so until i get this etrac set to where i think is optimal for my spot and search every inch again im sticking it out, after that, i`ll switch to a smaller coil and do it all over again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and yet again .
kinda like my ground hogs day, same spot every day, same trees, same rocks,
hell i have even seen the same snakes sitting on the same logs for several days at a time. i`ll start naming them and bringing them food soon .
i have found 7 pre 1600`s and 3 pre 1800`s coins and the gold 1853 dollar all in a 40 50 foot radius. there is close to 500 acres. if i can find that in just 50 square feet total space,  there is no telling what is just behind that next tree. i keep going over the same square and keep pulling more every time. soon im going to move over 50 feet and start all over.
but I have to wait for things to thin out a bit, the undergrowth is just way to tangley and thick ... like i have said before, this will likely be my final detecting spot. there is 500 plus years of U.S. history out there. even incised Native American pottery dating to 600 B.C.
so im stuck where i am. no need to research any further spots ... this is it ...

BONES ...

BEST coil for the etrac in your situation to sift thru a mess like that  

4.5x7 DD EQ Excelerator coil

once you can't find anything more with that coil

switch to the stock 11" and repeat sifting

but

you also have to run the etrac WIDE open/NO disc at all (nothing notched out) or else you lose a lot of depth AND it nulls (which means) it shuts down for x amount of seconds/nanoseconds before recovering (which also means) you swing over other targets that never register because the machine is still recovering from the "null" and when there's a LOT of stuff to null on - many times the machine can't recover at all because it's constantly nulling and you're missing tons of stuff.

Etracs are an excellent machine even in trashy/iron filled areas but you have to have the rgt coil/s, swing at a bit of a slower pace with them/FBS machines and NEVER run it in any mode except wide open screen for max depth and fastest recovery to avoid "nulling"...

I've been doing this since 1977 - have owned at least a 100 machines and I know the Etrac like the back of my hand (use a CTX now) and run it the same way. I know most guys don't like to run a machine like this (wide open) but that's the reality of using an etrac/FBS machine in trashy areas (iron or modern) and the difference in finding "some stuff" now and then OR finding a LOT of stuff more often...

My personal settings for that site would be

multi-tones
high trash on
deep off
manual sens (at max allowed to conditions)
wide open screen
and the rest to user preference

MichiganRelicHunter, proud to be a digger since 1977
10-09-2014, 11:55 PM
very interesting, Thank you very much MRH ... i am looking for a smaller 4.5x7 coil for the etrac . its gonna be a while before i can move off this spot. i know i am missing a lot of good stuff.
that`s why i`ll be here for a very long time. no where near done with this site ...

Thanks again for the tips, they honestly help me a lot. as i am still learning this machine. sounds like you started detecting around the same time as me, actually i was a detecting helper not a full fledged detector. used to run behind the dad helping him detect back in the mid to late 70`s ... he always had one stuck to his arm, like me now ... Happy .

H.H. MRH

BONES ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  #54! 10 Wheats & Jeff, Plated Spoon! Ohio Dirt Fisher 2 80 10-05-2017 06:07 PM
Last Post: Ohio Dirt Fisher
  IHP, Bullets, A thingy?? & Nice Plated Spoon Ohio Dirt Fisher 7 452 10-20-2016 10:23 PM
Last Post: MichiganRelicHunter
  Buff, Jeff, Rosie, Bottle and a Bell! Ohio Dirt Fisher 7 551 10-13-2016 07:59 PM
  #37 41P Merc, ...18?67??? IH, Pocket Knife Ohio Dirt Fisher 6 453 06-30-2016 07:17 AM
  Found a cool bottle !! Tony AZ 10 1,560 03-24-2016 08:40 PM
Last Post: updownup

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)