Pocket knife # 2 . 47 Rosie . British Slipware ( 18th century pottery )

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
08-21-2014, 05:33 PM
Pocket knife # 2 . 47 Rosie . British Slipware ( 18th century pottery )
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2014 07:44 PM by IndianaBones.)
Quote this message in a reply
Not much in the grab bag today .
Got out for a couple hours. it was down around 91 today so took advantage of the cool weather ...

pulled up pocket knife # 2. this one is pretty old, wooden exterior . BSA logo . it came up in one piece and literally crumbled in my hand. blades and all just crumbled away. kinda sucked. possibly an early boy scout knife. 1910 - >
another small plain button, this one does not look as old as the others i have been digging, so not sure of the age.
pulled up a few modern coins. 47 Rosie, couple wheat`s , 1 un IDable dime,
a Canadian penny ...  
grabbed a couple iron loops, a brass cap to something.
and a large piece of a British Slipware ( pottery ) 18th century British pottery. looks to be part of a large bowl or pot.
and another more modern key - Yale small lock key . likely a padlock .

that`s it, nothing to special today ...
but it was nice to get out and enjoy some nice cool Florida weather ...

H.H. ... BONES ...

[attachment=2841][attachment=2842][attachment=2843][attachment=2853][attachment=2845][attachment=2846][attachment=2847][attachment=2848][attachment=2849][attachment=2850][attachment=2851][attachment=2852]
08-21-2014, 07:10 PM
RE: Pocket knife # 2 . 47 Rosie . British Slipware ( 18th century pottery )
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2014 07:45 PM by IndianaBones.)
(08-21-2014 06:39 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote:  Overall nice finds and surprise with the 47 Rosie!

Ed

That knife, reminds me of this Logo from the Boy Scouts:

I was thinking the same thing on the Boy Scout logo.
trying to get it cleaned a bit so i can get a better peek to date it .
Boy scouts started around 1910 .
the Rosie is a surprise for me, i don`t expect to find much modern
silver out in the woods, so it is a surprise to pull any up .
08-21-2014, 08:17 PM
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2014 08:21 PM by IndianaBones.)
(08-21-2014 07:47 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote:  You continue to impress, Bones. More nice pieces for the collection. That's a big lid/cover. Interesting, too. Curious...

You must be digging any repeatable signal above iron, yes? With the potential for items as old as you've pulled, that would be the best bet. Also...

Do you find the Etrac lacks in any department where the AT would've done better?

Joe

Thank you, i wiggled my way to another open area, seems to have a bit more modern items in the dirt. kinda keeps things interesting, i move 50 feet one way or the other and its colonial digs, move another few feet in another direction and its completely different. there was a lot of activity out here over the years.
hate to say this i liked the Garrett`s, but i honestly found more relics using my old cheep BH3300 than with either Garrett . 
hopefully time is on my side, and i can just take my time with the Etrac.
both those older Spanish coins where in a spot i had run over 100 times with my other detectors. the Etrac got them both .
08-21-2014, 08:37 PM
(08-21-2014 08:25 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote:  Yeah, kind of a double edged sword, Bones, and here's why I say that...

Minelabs are known for 2 things - extreme depth & rock solid I.D. So...

You'll get stuff that the AT couldn't because the objects were deeper. Yet...

The AT's are FANTASTIC in iron, and will hit on stuff the Etrac nulled on. So...

They each have their strengths & weaknesses. You guys are lucky, as you have no mineralization, but, the downside is that targets sink deep. The soil is like quicksand. So, the depth of the Etrac is great. However, you're also hunting a trashy place, and Minelabs in general don't fare so well in moderate to heavy iron, which would then give the upper hand to the AT. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that depth AND speed/unmasking is virtually impossible to achieve utilizing one detector.

Joe

Agreed, both are great machines, and i don`t knock the AT at all, I  really didnt have it that long, i had a choice to keep the AT or get the Etrac and loose the AT.
i went with the Etrac. i think once i can pick up a smaller coil it will help peek between the iron a bit more. but honestly i don`t have a problem pulling the iron and really getting a look under it ... in a colonial era area even the iron can be pretty cool to pull up at times.
downside : if anyone is in need of a hand forged nail, i have a few 1000 to spare .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Really Flattened Rosie #26!!! Ohio Dirt Fisher 3 103 07-23-2017 09:13 AM
Last Post: leo aranza
  #21 & 22! NICE 1925 SLQ & 1953 Rosie! Ohio Dirt Fisher 4 188 07-03-2017 09:57 AM
Last Post: updownup
  #20 FTY A Rosie is a Rosie! Ohio Dirt Fisher 4 223 07-03-2017 09:55 AM
  19th Century Squeaker turns out to be #60 FTY! Ohio Dirt Fisher 13 587 12-01-2016 12:26 AM
Last Post: Ohio Dirt Fisher
  # 56 FTY Rosie, Henry V. Allien Button, early Memorials! Ohio Dirt Fisher 9 440 11-06-2016 01:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)