Quick Digs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2016, 11:09 PM
Quick Digs
Quote this message in a reply
A very short video from my previous hunt. I snagged a nice barber, and a merc, none of which I was able to catch on video, but the real star of the day was Gerry, who pulled 2 great finds Happy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pQMfpwXQuFo

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2016, 11:32 PM
RE: Quick Digs
It's good you two can get out when you can. Two detectorists that know what they're doing is a real hunt. Ya know Joe, I know a wheat when I dig it with the SE. Just the dirt around here. Congrats Gerry on the Merc and the Gold ring! Upper end Minelabs are a real thrill when you are in the zone.

Ed/ODF

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
03-10-2016, 02:36 AM
Damn Joe! Those plugs are perfect lol! Nice video and sweet finds. Thanks for sharing!YesYes

Zachbl92, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum and detectorist since Nov 2015.
Garret At Pro(12x13, 8.5x11, 5x8, 4.5") Garret At Pinpointer, GG original headphones, Predator Piranha/Little Eagle T shovel, Lesche hand digger.
Button Count FTY: Lost count
03-10-2016, 10:19 AM
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 10:29 AM by NjNyDigger.)
(03-09-2016 11:32 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote:  It's good you two can get out when you can. Two detectorists that know what they're doing is a real hunt. Ya know Joe, I know a wheat when I dig it with the SE. Just the dirt around here. Congrats Gerry on the Merc and the Gold ring! Upper end Minelabs are a real thrill when you are in the zone.

Ed/ODF

It's not the dirt that's the issue for me, Ed, it's the depth.

Minelab's i.d. is rock solid down to about 8", after that, all bets are. On any machine, the deeper you go, the more the numbers will be off.

Almost 95% of what you see me dig in my videos are literally little squeaker hits, with a signal barely breaking through. And when something is at that depth, the numbers, while still decently accurate in a general range, are only good as a guide. So...

While I have a pretty decent idea if something might be a wheat or silver, on those 8+" targets, I'm relying more on sound/tone, target size & repeatabilty of the signal as indicators, versus the numbers.

On super deep 8 or 10"+ signals, it's generally going to be a wheat, Indian, silver, or yes, even iron that I get fooled on, which happens often.

On the easier, shallower signals, say in the 1 to 7" range, I can tell fairly easily the difference between a penny, dime, Indian, etc., but after 8 or 9", all bets are off Yes

What you and Gerry have on the SE's, which I don't, is the crosshairs cursor, which is another form of information to rely on. And I'm sure it helps a lot. But after seeing him call many, many targets that were in the 9 or 10" range over the years, the crosshair cursor too is not really 100% dependable after a certain depth, it stands a greater likelihood of calling it wrong.

That's why you even hear of guys (not me) who will dig straight iron signals that are on the fringes of a detectors depth, because sometimes detectors will call a very deep coin iron/junk. And if this is true, how accurate can a unit be in finely separating one coin versus another at extreme depths? If it's deep, JUST DIG IT! Wink

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
03-10-2016, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the neat video Joe. I love to see the coins pop up from those depths. Wish the camera had been on Gerry when he found the gold ring--what a thrill!

shadeseeker, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
03-11-2016, 07:58 PM
Always nice to see silver in the hole!! Congrats!
03-11-2016, 09:59 PM
Great video Joe. Dude you dig the most perfect plugs i ever seen

Detecting is more than a hobby, it is a passion

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Video My last digs in 2015 at Springdale I Dig History 4 428 01-06-2016 07:29 PM
Last Post: NjNyDigger
Video 3 days of sporadic digs turns up a few surprises! I Dig History 11 1,780 05-01-2015 09:32 AM
Last Post: I Dig History
Video DIV XXVIII digs Bill_S 12 1,593 11-03-2014 05:50 PM
Last Post: biggredd1972
  Quick Little hunt gets date nails and seated dime! Ron (CA) 11 1,814 09-11-2014 11:52 PM
Last Post: mike pierson

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)