Reality of detecting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
06-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Reality of detecting
Quote this message in a reply
Ok guys, I'm sure all of the veteran hunters and more experienced hunters all know the reality of detecting. This probably mainly goes out to the newer hunters in the forum. In the show and section on the sight I show all of my finds, my good  ones anyway. And I'm doing pretty good this year. As most of you know I'm mainly a coin hunter. I do however like when I find some cool old relics. Anyway, I am up to 20 silvers, 2 of witch were halves (a walker and a franklin). I have found 5 quarters( a barber, SLQ, and 3 Washington's).  That's a pretty good considering the late start I had due to weather this year and it's still early June. 

My point of this is.. Just because I don't show all of the other stuff I dig doesn't mean I don't dig it. To find all the coins I have found I dig what seems like tons of junk. I don't want new comers to the hobby seeing the good stuff we find and think they are just going to go out and start digging silver coins. The amount of time and work I put in to find the stuff I have some people would think I'm crazy. 

In the pic is two buckets that are close to being full of the "junk" I dig. It's not all really junk I just have not had time to go through it all and separate the good stuff. Not all of that is from this year but most of it is. So guys if your new to the hobby and your getting discouraged, don't give up!!! Keep digging and the good finds will start coming!

PAunderground, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Mar 2014.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2014, 04:42 PM
RE: Reality of detecting
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2014 04:56 PM by NjNyDigger.)
Thanks for posting this, Trev! It IS a good reminder that ALL of us dig junk. Matter of fact, I'd say 90% of what we find is junk, with maybe 10% being keepers. I occasionally post my trash, but, it's tough because, well, who wants to look at trash?! Lol. However, every now and then I do it, cause just like you, it's a reminder that we're not just out there unearthing rare coins & jewels, but, rather, there's a LOT of digging & sweat involved in this hobby, for what most of the time, is few goodies...but it's those few goodies (and the history & excitement) that keep us going Happy

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
06-04-2014, 04:54 PM
So True!!
06-04-2014, 06:10 PM
Yep we have to dig junk to find the good stuff.  I usually show some junk in my posts.  If I didn't show junk I wouldn't have much to show at all.  Keep diggin.

PittsburghWill, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"  Willy Wonka

I've lived. Not always well, but long enough.
06-12-2014, 04:21 PM
I hear you on all the other stuff you have to dig in order to find some good stuff. I have bags full of junk that I hold onto and other trash that is already gone. One of these days I want to look through it to make sure I didn't accidentally throw something good into the junk pile

Detectors used: XP Deus ws4 11" coil, Minelab Sovereign GT
06-14-2014, 09:10 AM
(06-04-2014 03:46 PM)PAunderground Wrote:  Ok guys, I'm sure all of the veteran hunters and more experienced hunters all know the reality of detecting. This probably mainly goes out to the newer hunters in the forum. In the show and section on the sight I show all of my finds, my good  ones anyway. And I'm doing pretty good this year. As most of you know I'm mainly a coin hunter. I do however like when I find some cool old relics. Anyway, I am up to 20 silvers, 2 of witch were halves (a walker and a franklin). I have found 5 quarters( a barber, SLQ, and 3 Washington's).  That's a pretty good considering the late start I had due to weather this year and it's still early June. 

My point of this is.. Just because I don't show all of the other stuff I dig doesn't mean I don't dig it. To find all the coins I have found I dig what seems like tons of junk. I don't want new comers to the hobby seeing the good stuff we find and think they are just going to go out and start digging silver coins. The amount of time and work I put in to find the stuff I have some people would think I'm crazy. 

In the pic is two buckets that are close to being full of the "junk" I dig. It's not all really junk I just have not had time to go through it all and separate the good stuff. Not all of that is from this year but most of it is. So guys if your new to the hobby and your getting discouraged, don't give up!!! Keep digging and the good finds will start coming!

Thank you for posting this as a reminder.  I was getting discouraged as I was getting only junk.  Your post is a very good reminder that I have to dig more and hunt more!

Located in Durham region Ontario.  Always looking for local md'rs to hunt with.
06-14-2014, 10:00 PM
Good post. I too have piles of it when I don't empty the pouch. I try and park near a trash barrel so I can avail of it when needed. You guys that are discouraged, please don't be. Like Joe says with the 90/10 split, there'll be some days when you'll be running 50/50 and some that are complete skunk outs. It is what it is.

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
06-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Thumbs Up RE: Reality of detecting
Every time I dig up a piece of junk, I look at it as cleaning up the earth. I'm sure you have all seen the adopt a highway signs, which I recommend very much in doing. Anybody can do that though, who is going to go out and clean up the trash that is already six inches underground? I will tell you who, we will, us metal detectorists  will clean up what others can't find. Who could not love what we do? We clean up what others won't and we preserve and protect history so others won't forget. What a great hobby!
CAN YOU DIG IT? 

I Dig History, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Mar 2014.
Can you dig itBeer

Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000 & Whites TRX Pinpointer
Mobius Action Cam
06-15-2014, 12:10 PM
(06-15-2014 10:08 AM)I Dig History Wrote:  Every time I dig up a piece of junk, I look at it as cleaning up the earth. I'm sure you have all seen the adopt a highway signs, which I recommend very much in doing. Anybody can do that though, who is going to go out and clean up the trash that is already six inches underground? I will tell you who, we will, us metal detectorists  will clean up what others can't find. Who could not love what we do? We clean up what others won't and we preserve and protect history so others won't forget. What a great hobby!
CAN YOU DIG IT? 

I dig it.

PittsburghWill, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"  Willy Wonka

I've lived. Not always well, but long enough.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)