September 14th Hunt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-15-2014, 12:42 PM
September 14th Hunt
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014 02:28 PM by NjNyDigger.)
Quote this message in a reply
Silver has been tough to come by lately. I tried 2 spots yesterday, and the second one was a LOT better!

I tried out my new toy again yesterday - The Mobius camera - and I think I'm in love Inlove The few hunts I've filmed before were a pain in the ass to do, as I had to take out my iphone, set-it up properly, get it filthy with dirt, try filming & digging with one hand, and hope the battery wouldn't go dead. This Mobius is a blessing!

Ignore the time stamp on the bottom of the screen, as the date is wrong. I'm going to take it off, as well as change the camera settings to get better quality video, but, need to find a PC in order to do so.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qjQE6BHh4q8

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
09-15-2014, 01:41 PM
RE: September 14th Hunt
WTG Joe,

Been a while since I park hunted so that was fun to see silver flash in the hole!!

What is the macro ability on that camera? I know you have it head mounted but would like to see close up ability as I do a lot of "in the hole" filming.

Thanks

Ron
09-15-2014, 02:38 PM
(09-15-2014 01:41 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote:  WTG Joe,

Been a while since I park hunted so that was fun to see silver flash in the hole!!

What is the macro ability on that camera? I know you have it head mounted but would like to see close up ability as I do a lot of "in the hole" filming.

Thanks

Ron

Thanks, Ron. Sadly, and to be candid, I think that's one of the areas where the camera doesn't shine, too well. As you can see in the two videos I've posted using the Mobius, it'll surely see the coin pretty good, however, in terms of capturing an extreme close-up or macro shot, that's not it's strong suit. Again...

I'm sure it'll work to SOME degree, but, at the end of the day, it's an action cam, not a higher end video camera. I'll do some testing on my next hunt (Wednesday), where I'll try holding a coin or object close to the lens to see if it focuses and/or captures further detail, though I highly doubt it'll show up perfectly.

My three primary needs out of a hunting camera, which I filtered my research around were: price, video quality & sound. The Mobius was the hands-down, clear winner, and delivers in each of those departments. Although, my FAVORITE aspect is the ability to film hands free!

Joe

Find all posts by this user
09-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Great video Joe, nice catch on those silvers.
that park looks like it was being very kind to you  ...

H.H.
BONES ...
09-15-2014, 05:52 PM
Another good video....im liking that camera...does it have auto zoom or is it a set shot ..just seems to lack on focus on the close up shots...but in all seems a very good buy ........well done on the two silvers very nice finds.

GL&HH

ps was weird to hear traffic in the background ...on my digs im out in the middle of nowhere so quiet you here the birds shitting lol

Simon

nomis, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Sep 2014.
deep-tech vista smart ....Xp Deus v.3.2 (back up machine). and a rubbish Garrett pro-pointer..
www.detecting-in-england.comhttp://
09-15-2014, 06:30 PM
LMAO  !!!      sounds like my hunting grounds. just me the beeps and the occasional rattle from a rattle snake ... 

watch them birds ... 
don`t look up with a head mounted cam ... could get ugly ... 

BONES ...
09-15-2014, 07:02 PM
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014 07:04 PM by NjNyDigger.)
(09-15-2014 05:52 PM)nomis Wrote:  Another good video....im liking that camera...does it have auto zoom or is it a set shot ..just seems to lack on focus on the close up shots...but in all seems a very good buy ........well done on the two silvers very nice finds.

GL&HH

ps was weird to hear traffic in the background ...on my digs im out in the middle of nowhere so quiet you here the birds shitting lol

Simon

Yeah, we hunt our fair share of urban spots. In some of them, we have to get there early, before the 'regulars' wake from their drink/drug induced slumbers, and show up to crash our party. Bad areas. Believe it or not, some of my oldest/best finds come from these areas. I used to hunt the parks a lot more than I do now though, as I've been gravitating more towards woods hunting, as of late.

The camera is a fixed lens, same as GoPro's and the other similar action cams. I think it does okay on close-up shots, though, it isn't really meant for that. So, if you're looking for a camera that excels at macro type shots, this isn't it. Most action cams don't do macro well, as they generally have a wider field of view, and are meant to film a lot at once. I will take some close-up's of various items soon, and post the video so you can judge the 'macro' abilities...or lack thereof. Again though, this is not the camera's strong suit.

Joe

09-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Not looking for MACRO MACRO but shots about 12-15" and able to see some detail of the recovered item.  I am sure it should be able to handle that.  I reserve the macro for the still shots to show all the detail.

A small camera like that would be handy.  A swivel mount on the shaft and use the machine as your "tripod" when digging.

Thanks
09-15-2014, 08:13 PM
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014 08:54 PM by NjNyDigger.)
(09-15-2014 07:54 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote:  Not looking for MACRO MACRO but shots about 12-15" and able to see some detail of the recovered item.  I am sure it should be able to handle that.  I reserve the macro for the still shots to show all the detail.

A small camera like that would be handy.  A swivel mount on the shaft and use the machine as your "tripod" when digging.

Thanks

If you watch the video again of my hunt yesterday, you'll see the camera saw both the merc & the quarter pretty good. And this was in direct sunlight, which would be difficult for any camera to capture. Now, it wasn't sharp enough to get a date or anything like that, but, again, as you mentioned, that's what stills are for. Additionally, aside from the camera being a fixed lens unit, there are many variables which would dictate how well something shows up on camera; lighting, direction of the lighting, camera settings (which I have not played with yet), size of the item, etc.

The shaft cam idea sounds great. Only thing you need to be aware of, and play around a bit with is, it is hard when you first get the camera to judge what it is viewing by how far you're holding it. Meaning...

If I am standing 15 feet away from a statue and pointing the camera at it, because of its wide field of view, it should pick it up just fine. However, if you're standing close to something - say a few feet - and trying to record it, it can be difficult to gauge if the camera is pointed appropriately, so as to capture the entire image. So...

Do some testing beforehand to gather what/where the camera can see from a certain angle/distance. This is what I did with my hat rig. And it works like a swiss watch Happy

Joe

09-15-2014, 08:28 PM
Nice video Joe, maybe one day I will buy a camera. Ground is still very dry. Was down in Wildwood this past week and only got a lot of clad coins, half gone from the salt water.

proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Aug 2013.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)