She sells seashells at the park?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
09-20-2015, 10:46 PM
She sells seashells at the park?
Quote this message in a reply
I got out for some diggin this morning. It was nice to have some peaceful time to myself. I hit a spot that must have been a trash dump long ago. It was loaded with clamshells, broken glass, broken dishes, lead scraps, rusty old nails, old black pencils, and other stuff. I got a piece of glass there with the letters burg. Half of Pittsburgh without the h. Had to be pre 1911. I think it's an old ketchup bottle. Here's a little history of the h in Pittsburgh. http://popularpittsburgh.com/whatsinanh/
I dug this little area for a while then wandered around. Didn't get any great finds, but had a good time. I'm going right back to the dumpsite next time I'm there. There's got to be something really cool there.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

PittsburghWill, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"  Willy Wonka

I've lived. Not always well, but long enough.
09-20-2015, 11:06 PM
RE: She sells seashells at the park?
Nice hunt Will! You never can tell what you'll find at a dump. Back in the day they backed their wagons up to the river and just dumped them. No rules, no regs. So you might find just about anything. As you are showing. But you'll be there for months. Where did they dump from. Go look there first. They had to get on and off the wagons. Find the road.

Have fun!

Ed/ODF

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
09-21-2015, 08:28 AM
Hey Ed. The road is still there. This is on a hillside right down from the road. I've probably skipped over this spot a few times because of all the iron tones. Now I'm using the T2 without the iron grunt and I like it. All the clamshells is kinda puzzling to me. Did people eat alot of clams in the old days? Every hole I dug had shells and broken glass.

PittsburghWill, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013.

09-21-2015, 09:01 AM
(09-21-2015 08:28 AM)PittsburghWill Wrote:  Hey Ed. The road is still there. This is on a hillside right down from the road. I've probably skipped over this spot a few times because of all the iron tones. Now I'm using the T2 without the iron grunt and I like it. All the clamshells is kinda puzzling to me. Did people eat alot of clams in the old days? Every hole I dug had shells and broken glass.

Cool!!!

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
09-21-2015, 12:37 PM
Here in NJ they fed the colonial troops clams because it was a cheap food.
Good luck with that area

Bigtony, member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jan 2015.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-21-2015, 12:52 PM
Clams & old pottery is a GOOD sign. I'd be back there pronto digging anything that beeps Yes Good stuff, Will...was starting to think you retired, lol.

Is the ground dry over there?

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
09-21-2015, 04:54 PM
(09-21-2015 12:52 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote:  Clams & old pottery is a GOOD sign. I'd be back there pronto digging anything that beeps Yes Good stuff, Will...was starting to think you retired, lol.

Joe

Yep I'll be back there soon. It has been real dry here, but it rained alot Saturday and the ground wasn't too bad on Sunday. I also noticed that the ground that was reading 5 bars when it was bone dry only read 4 bars after the rain. That surprised me. I thought moisture would increase the conductivity of the ground not decrease it. Is it cooling down over there?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-21-2015, 05:31 PM
(09-21-2015 04:54 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote:  
(09-21-2015 12:52 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote:  Clams & old pottery is a GOOD sign. I'd be back there pronto digging anything that beeps Yes Good stuff, Will...was starting to think you retired, lol.

Joe

Yep I'll be back there soon. It has been real dry here, but it rained alot Saturday and the ground wasn't too bad on Sunday. I also noticed that the ground that was reading 5 bars when it was bone dry only read 4 bars after the rain. That surprised me. I thought moisture would increase the conductivity of the ground not decrease it. Is it cooling down over there?

Yepper, cooled down quite a bit, THANK GOD, now we just need a good batch of rain. It better hurray up, too, as we only have a small window of maybe 3 months prime hunting time before the bitter cold crap starts up.

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
09-21-2015, 06:09 PM

Joe

Exactly --

clam shells and old pottery on ANY site is a very good sign (colonial era many times) if/when masses of clam shells are showing up

i'd hit that site hard with the T2 (or any machine) as you're likely to find some very nice finds on that one Yes

MichiganRelicHunter, proud to be a digger since 1977
09-21-2015, 08:14 PM
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2015 08:41 PM by PittsburghWill.)
(09-21-2015 12:37 PM)Bigtony Wrote:  Here in NJ they fed the colonial troops clams because it was a cheap food.
Good luck with that area

Ok so it was cheap food. This site isn't colonial, but it is old. This stuff must have been dumped in the 1800s before this was a park.

(09-21-2015 06:09 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:  

Joe

Exactly --

clam shells and old pottery on ANY site is a very good sign (colonial era many times) if/when masses of clam shells are showing up

i'd hit that site hard with the T2 (or any machine) as you're likely to find some very nice finds on that one Yes

I'll be back there soon.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)