Short hunt at local park

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-16-2016, 11:56 PM
Short hunt at local park
Quote this message in a reply
I know a 1920 Merc, is no big deal, but what makes this special is how I found it. 
I've been practicing Two Tone Ferrous on the Etrac, and went to a local park, hunted to death.  There is a particular area that is so filled with nails, no one ever bothers to look there anymore. Figure on 10 to 15 iron hits per pass.  Its where everyone lit their campfires and I suspect they burned a lot of old lumber with the nails still in it.  Anyway, I set up my machine and advanced about 3 yards when I heard something high mixed in with the iron.  Got the signal (broken, but there) in both directions with a "45" showing up for the conductive number at a depth of 6".  So, I dig the plug and find there are probably 5 broken rusty nail pieces that I pinpointed and removed from the hole until I got the dime signal.  I was REALLY surprised, but happy  the technique worked just like some say it does.  It gave me a lot of confidence in the technique and my machine.  Couldn't coax anymore out of the ground even after slowly hunting another hour, but I went home happy!   Coil used was the Detech 5"X 10" DD, which I think played a big part in separating the signals so I could hear the dime!

Knipper, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jun 2016.
Minelab Etrac
Minelab SE Pro
Minelab Excalibur II
Troy X-5
Tesoro Tejon
WIDE assortment of coils for the Minelab
Find all posts by this user
06-17-2016, 07:21 AM
RE: Short hunt at local park
Congrats on sniffing out the merc! My hunting partner has a extrac, and does well too. Finding any silver coin around here is a achievement in sandy Florida. Hope you continue finding them. Good luck!

updownup, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
06-17-2016, 08:19 AM
The proof is in the pudding Knipper! Nice catch amongst all those iron minnows! I've heard that 2 tone ferrous works well under those conditions and you proved it yet again! Congrats!

Ed/ODF

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
06-17-2016, 08:25 AM
Congrats twice; great technique and a great looking coin. I'm 99% certain I would have missed that one.

shadeseeker, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
06-17-2016, 11:59 AM
Patience pays off I guess.. Great looking merc knipper

Detecting is more than a hobby, it is a passion
06-17-2016, 08:33 PM
Way to go, congratulations on that cool find!

Bigtony, member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jan 2015.
06-22-2016, 07:02 PM
The etrac is a killer in iron. I always hunted in TTF, but after a few shocking field tests, I migrated to 4TC. Great score on that sweet Merc!

RelicMedic, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Nov 2014.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Decided to do a short hunt in the rain today + finds from earlier this week Zachbl92 10 659 11-13-2016 04:13 PM
Last Post: leo aranza
  SHORT CTX HUNT = INJUNS & STUFF :D MichiganRelicHunter 5 308 09-11-2016 07:12 PM
Last Post: Zachbl92
  Short hunt Thursday night - silver #70 and a hood ornament from the HOOD. leo aranza 6 341 09-11-2016 07:07 PM
Last Post: Zachbl92
  Park Hunt with Ed on a perfect day! Cladjunky 10 598 09-08-2016 08:15 AM
Last Post: updownup
  Park hunt with John was a great time! Ohio Dirt Fisher 8 426 09-05-2016 07:39 AM
Last Post: Cladjunky

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)