Some old finds, Remembered by, Frankn

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Find all posts by this user
09-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Some old finds, Remembered by, Frankn
Quote this message in a reply
I will start with my best yard find, a gold ring with a 3ct Ruby.
Next is a 5 peso silver coin found in Columbia NM.
Next is a $20 coin from a cache, no questions about this please!
Then there is the fine gold chain with cross that I found on the beach while walking in the footprints of the hunter 50' in front of me.

I guess you could say I have been lucky, but then again I have been at it since the '70's.   Frank...

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.jpg  1379622162_gold cross chain.jpg (Size: 53.26 KB / Downloads: 28)

Frankn, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Aug 2013.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-19-2013, 05:15 PM
RE: Some old finds, Remembered by, Frankn
All I can say is, WOW! Love that silver peso Happy You've tackled the nearly insurmountable...being one of the tiny few to join the gold coin club Yes Hope I can become a member one day, myself. There's a few other guys that have done it on here, so, you're in good company. Awesome!!!

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
09-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Wow. Absolutely awesome. That gold coin is the find of a lifetime. I might just quit detecting if I found one of those. No probably not. I wonder what kind of ID that would show as.

PittsburghWill, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"  Willy Wonka

I've lived. Not always well, but long enough.
09-19-2013, 10:13 PM
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2013 10:15 PM by deathray.)
Alright bud, sorry but can ya at least give the generic version of your double eagle find?  Not asking for coordinates, but was it a known cashe? Did ya stumble on it? What else was found, takes more than one to make a cashe. Wink

Btw, is it the phote, or is that coin a proof??

My empire of dirt.
09-20-2013, 01:02 AM
(09-19-2013 10:13 PM)deathray Wrote:  Not asking for coordinates, but was it a known cashe? 

He'll yeah, we are!!! Feel free to upload a couple of google maps, too Tongue

Joe

09-20-2013, 05:18 AM
Very Cool Finds!!

Ok I'm going to guess the $20 was a part of a modern day cache hunt or someone asked you to help find some coins that a family member buried and you were rewarded with that coin.

You know you can't post something like that and state "No questions" Happy

Fantastic Finds!!
09-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Well here's the thing about cache hunting. When you give out all the details, The 'OWNERS' come out of the walls if you know what I mean.
I was looking for a known cache out in the western states and could not find the location as pictured in the story, but I came upon this abandon ranch house in the middle of nowhere on an old trail that looked like it had not been used in a long time. I decided to give it a hit. I ran the fence line that surrounded the building area. About the third post from the back gate gave a zinc response on my XLT. It was about a foot in front of the post. The lid of the zinc capped mason's jar was a little less than 1 foot down. The gold lady had friends, but most were silver.  I would estimate that most cache finds are accidental. I only find about 1 in 10 of the caches that I look for.
This wasn't my first gold coin. I found a $5 gold coin with my first detector, a Whites S63TR, at an old mansion back in the 70's. It was almost on the surface under a big oak tree. Hay, you never know when lady luck is going to smile for you.   Frank...

Attached File(s)
.jpg  1379692835_hand print-2_edited-6.jpg (Size: 48.59 KB / Downloads: 16)

09-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Amazing story, Frank! Yep, those are the hunts metal detecting dreams are made of Yes 

Just curious, but, do you go looking for those caches that are always written about in the treasure rags? I would surmise that 99.9% of them are pure bunk, but, then again, what do I know?! Tongue Or, do you do your own research in community books, newspaper articles, etc?

Joe

09-20-2013, 12:56 PM
(09-20-2013 12:06 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote:  Amazing story, Frank! Yep, those are the hunts metal detecting dreams are made of Yes 

Just curious, but, do you go looking for those caches that are always written about in the treasure rags? I would surmise that 99.9% of them are pure bunk, but, then again, what do I know?! Tongue Or, do you do your own research in community books, newspaper articles, etc?

Joe

I usually don't hunt the 'Highly publicized ones'.  There are a lot of real ones out there, but you have to separate the facts from the fiction. The best way to do this is to find several versions of the same story and then, Accept all the common facts, question facts that don't appear in all, and just drop the 'facts' that appear in just one version. You wind up with your starting point for research. You then have to verify the event occurred, Verify the people actual lived during that time frame, locate the probable location and then you can do some boots on ground work.
This is just a basic outline, I have spent years researching some.

As an example, I have been out once to case the area for the Wolf Run cache. This is a seeded cache Like Fenns, but it has real clues. It will probably be found in the next 30 days. I have narrowed it down to Wolf Run between Pa219 and Treasure Lake a distance of 3 mi as the crow flies or 9 mi following the snakey curves of the run.  It is sponsored by Treasure Illustrated. They even give you the story book for free that gives details. Check it out.  Frank...

Attached File(s)
.jpg  1379696192_STILL LIFE-0003 wolf.jpg (Size: 325.08 KB / Downloads: 15)

09-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Very Coo!!  thanks for sharing a few of the details!!l

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)