Tesoro Compadre Malfunction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
01-19-2016, 05:42 PM
Tesoro Compadre Malfunction
Quote this message in a reply
I took my Compadre out of the back floorboard of the truck to hit a park last week and after a few minutes of swinging, i realized that I needed to change batteries. No problem. The truck is only a few yards away. I changed the battery, went back to where I left off and was getting nothing. Nada. Zippo. I ran the coil over my steel toed boots and only got a tone when the coil was right on top of the toe, instead of from about a foot away. I had a second and third spare battery with the same results.

I have been using alkaline batteries and have since bought 6 or 8 more, all having the same issue. I bought a cheap battery tester and all of the batteries I tested in it ( including the ones that started this issue ) showed up as having about 75%+ power in them.

I get the powerful startup beep when I turn it on, and leave the dial in all metal ( but it doesn't matter where I turn it, same results ) I can't even get a beep over any coins when I drop them to test, but it will get the steel in my boot if I am touching the boot or a metal pole, but only if I turn the coil flat against the pole... not edge on. And even then I only get about 2 inches.

I was using non alkaline batteries before, and they worked great, but were getting eaten up as fast as I could replace them. OK, not quite that fast, but they didn't last long at all. I didn't have an issue until after a few alkalines.

Am I just unlucky getting bad batteries ?  I get each new batch from a different store. Or is there an issue with the unit ?

I am at least the second owner of this machine, more likely the third, so the warranty is long gone, but I did save a bunch of money on it.

I hope I provided enough info for someone to recognize what's happening. Any guesses or thoughts?

Groundhog, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Dec 2015.
Garrett Groundhog ,Tesoro Compadre, TreasureTek Elite
01-19-2016, 06:40 PM
RE: Tesoro Compadre Malfunction
Some folks like to fiddle with the innards.
Possibly the sensitivity trimpot inside  was adjusted by a previous owner.
Tesoro uses stiff wires, if they are bent too much, they break off the solder pad or hang on by one wire thread. Could be a broken wire inside is shorting out on something.

Since its out of warranty, remove the battery,  take a peak inside, remove the two faceplate screws and pull the faceplate forward. If you don't see anything there, pull the circuit board forward so you can see the backside, look for a broken wire.

If there is no problem there, check the search coil cable connector for a broken wire. On the connector, there's a metal tab. Pres down and push the coil cable forward. The plastic part will slide out the front of the connector housing. Then you will be able to check the wiring.

Nokta Impact, Deteknix Quest Pro,Teknetics Mark 1
Self built Mirage PI's --- they work great!!
Free Vintage Metal Detector Catalog Downloads, Tips, Mods
http://www.treasurelinx.com/home1.html
01-19-2016, 07:17 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2016 07:25 PM by updownup.)
Thought Tesoro Compadre was lifetime warranty, regardless if you were the original owner. At least, that was one of their selling points. Hope you get it fixed. GL.

Edited it. Google it, Tesoro lifetime warranty is for original owner. I should have known, Sven knows Tesoro's in and outs.

[attachment=7472]

updownup, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
01-19-2016, 08:10 PM
Sven, thanks for your suggestions. Here is what I did.

I took face plate off and the inside was very clean and nothing was out of place, loose, or broken, even behind the circuit board.

I removed the cable connector from the back of the box. I couldn't see behind the circuit board very well because of the short wires attached back there. Two of the wires seemed to be close together so I separated them and reassembled everything.

I unwound the coil cable from the shaft to make sure I could see all angles and it is in good shape.

Retested and still have same results : have to almost be touching metal to get beep. Coins do not register. Sad

01-20-2016, 02:50 PM
I forgot the coil is hardwired or you could have tried another Tesoro coil on it.
No coil connector.

Sounds like a bad part somewhere. If your not the orig. owner Tesoro will charge you $50 min to fix it. You'll basically end up with a new Compadre. Maybe a new coil to boot.

I would call Rusty at Tesoro.

Nokta Impact, Deteknix Quest Pro,Teknetics Mark 1
Self built Mirage PI's --- they work great!!
Free Vintage Metal Detector Catalog Downloads, Tips, Mods
http://www.treasurelinx.com/home1.html
01-20-2016, 08:23 PM
Thanks for your help, I will give Rusty a call and we'll go from there.

I will update when I know something.

01-21-2016, 08:01 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2016 08:02 PM by khouse.)
For no more than they are I would buy another one.  $50 plus some parts and your half way there. Plus shipping on top of that.

khouse, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Feb 2014.
How to set up your detectors!
    Hear it - dig it - see it!
        100% live digs!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFYDdhr...j33uT4bHLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Tesoro Deleon RSD 8x11 coil air depth test. Cladjunky 4 551 10-09-2016 08:07 PM
Last Post: Cladjunky
  Breathing New Life Into An Older Tesoro Sven TreasureLinx 11 3,653 09-01-2015 10:50 PM
Last Post: sargoguy
  Waterproof Compadre khouse 7 1,796 03-10-2015 10:01 PM
Last Post: khouse

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)