The Feeling!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
02-15-2017, 12:33 AM
The Feeling!
Quote this message in a reply
Now to give you some perspective, I've been looking at this plot of grass going on 7 years. This is a big expanse of grass. Gotta be at the least 40, maybe 50 acres. I've done parts and pieces of it, long before I knew of Historic Aerials or Maps. Never found much of anything there then. Lot of clad, one piece of a cut Mexican silver decoration from a bridle, but other than that, just junk. Then I started exploring the outskirts of the grass. The bordering woods and the trails throughout. At first it was a real bust. I gave up on it for over a year. But I returned and was determined to keep expanding my search. Finally, things started to show up. At first a few rosies, then a beautifully intact ladies silver engraved pocket watch, then some mercs and a Washington. Then 2 LC's, some real old buttons and a Canadian 1/2 penny. I scoured them woods some more. Out pops a 1774 Carlos III silver 1/2 real. I'm at the limit, I thought.

Then in a blinding snow squall a week or so ago, with my clothes pretty saturated in 30 F weather, finding nothing in the woods and brush, I head across that grass again in the direction of where I parked, still a good 300 yards away from the Blue Beast. 100 feet out of the woods I get this unpassable high tone signal that's screaming conductive silver and the numbers are flat out perfect for a silver on the AT Pro. Cold, wet, I dig it. It's a 1907 Barber dime at 8 inches. Something about that leaves me speechless, on my knees, covered in wet snow. I look back at those woods I just left, and I wonder. All of this grass was farmland by what the Historic Aerials and the maps say. Or was it?

So I return today, because I am now intrigued about that big open area of grass. Doing a pattern search starting from where about I found that Barber, I dig about everything for the short time of 2 hours that I'm there. The sun is slowly sinking low in the sky and the wind is blowing and gusting to 30 MPH, but I don't care. I stay on pattern as best I can, the ground being wet and mucky in areas. Again, a lot of clad, pulltabs, memorials, and one sole toasted wheat. At 10 inches on a real iffy and jumpy high/mid tone sound with digital display showing 72 to 82, but no iron grunt.

One wheat. One 1907 Barber dime.

I have a feeling about the grass there now. I'm seeing the grass much like the woods, but a great deal easier to pattern search, and maybe, just maybe, with as much hidden history.

It's a good feeling to have as a detectorist.

Ed/Ohio Dirt Fisher

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
02-15-2017, 08:45 AM
RE: The Feeling!
It is an awesome feeling to have a great site lined up. I hope the 60 degree temperatures they are predicting for me this weekend extend as far east as you.
  I am sure I am not the only one looking forward to the posts of the finds you get with the description that leaves us feeling like we were right there with you.
GL& HH

Pat

Digsit, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Feb 2016.
Remember for the good of the hobby It is better to ask for permission than to beg for forgiveness.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-16-2017, 03:59 AM
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2017 04:00 AM by Ron (CA).)
Good luck Ed Hope it is loaded with goodies!! Your persistence will pay off!!
02-16-2017, 01:32 PM
I see it! Thank you for bringing me along. I agree, that grass field is hiding some history. I'm often amazed when something neat pops out of a area I have already been over many times. Good luck Ed, hope you find more nice finds. Thanks for sharing!Happy

updownup, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)