Three in one.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
01-14-2016, 08:10 PM
Three in one.
Quote this message in a reply
The weather here is great this time of the year, it's been hitting high 40's to low 50's this week, so I went back to the zoo / park that I've been hunting again since about October, I decide to use my 13 inch ultimate coil. I have been over this exact same spot three times with the E Trac and once with the CTX. I decided to give it one more try going extremely slow and using some iron discrimination this time. I was running fast on, deep on, multi tones with conductive sounds. With my auto sensitivity running at + 3  sens was hovering around 22 or 23. On my second pass I get a high tone with a meter reading of 14-46 that's jumping around a little bit. I stick my periscope probe into the ground and make contact at 8 inches. The first target that pops out is a Mercury dime, after doing a happy dance, I stick my probe back in the hole and get another hit. I'm hoping quarter but expect a wheatie. Lo and behold out pops a rosy. At this point I'm beside myself wondering how in the world I could have missed a target like this. Back in the hole goes the probe and I get one more hit underneath a root and out comes one more rosy. So from an area that I had figured I'd cleaned out I ended up finding 3 silver dimes from the same hole and two wheaties. I know it's nothing old, but, around here silver coins are a nice little treat.

Dan(NM), proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Mar 2015.
01-14-2016, 08:25 PM
RE: Three in one.
Those are great finds Dan! Congrats on the silver!! Are those your first for the year?

I know what you mean by going over sites. Especially with different settings. I've never tried both fast and deep on but I can do it with my SE. Maybe I should try it out seeing the good luck you had.

Glad to see you could get out. Happy New Year!!!

Ed/ODF

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-14-2016, 08:27 PM
I think we all have wondered the same thing before...how we miss stuff. Sometimes I pound an area so hard, I won't think there's much left, and lo & behold, I'll hit upon something in that same area again, eventually. A lot has to do with maybe the soil being moister, we might hit something at the right angle and the detector picks up on it, we might be listening real intently and notice a whisper signal we couldn't hear before, we might be using a different detector setting which allows us to pick up a deeper target, etc. That's why no place is truly ever hunted out.

There might be areas which we've hit hard, where there isn't a whole lot, but there's always at least a couple more hiding somewhere.

That is a VERY good day. Not easy to find multiple silvers anymore, like years ago Yes

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
01-14-2016, 08:48 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2016 08:49 PM by Dan(NM).)
This makes silver finds for the year 5,6,7 one was a ring, one an earring and the other a St Christopher medallion. So far, 2 gold rings ytd. Kinda scary as to how much I've left over the years at sites I can't get to anymore.

01-14-2016, 09:09 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2016 09:10 PM by NjNyDigger.)
(01-14-2016 08:48 PM)Dan(NM) Wrote:  Kinda scary as to how much I've left over the years at sites I can't get to anymore.

These newer (deeper, better VDI) machines do the trick. Think about this for a second, as this is what I tell people...

Some detectorists are very casual about saying certain locations are hunted out. They base this on places having been heavily detected during the 70's, 80's & 90's. And it's true, they were hit hard. BUT...

The machines going back 20+ years ago cannot hold a candle to today's units. So...

When the previous generation of detectorists retired from the hobby, or passed away, if nobody of our generation hits the same spots they did because they assume they're void of any good targets, they're sorely mistaken.

A good unit in the 90's might've gotten 7" or 8" in depth, however (and this is the critical part), the VDI information was nowhere near as reliable back then. Couple this with the added depth of the newer units, and it has made all of the old, "hunted out" spots good as new.

This has been my experience anyway, as almost everywhere I detect has been hunted to death for many moons. We might have to use a different style of hunting nowadays, or work a little harder for it, but it's still out there Happy

Joe

01-14-2016, 09:29 PM
Another aspect to a hunt is the mental and almost spiritual equation. I've had days where it felt like I was hunting by intuition and was completely in tune with my machine and would have no problem hearing keepers among the junk. Next day, same spot, same machine, same settings and I couldn't find a thing if it was laying on top of the ground. Go figure.

01-14-2016, 09:38 PM
(01-14-2016 09:29 PM)Dan(NM) Wrote:  Another aspect to a hunt is the mental and almost spiritual equation. I've had days where it felt like I was hunting by intuition and was completely in tune with my machine and would have no problem hearing keepers among the junk. Next day, same spot, same machine, same settings and I couldn't find a thing if it was laying on top of the ground. Go figure.

VERY true!!! Spot on Yes I know my finds usually trail off after a long hunt, and my arm feels like it's going to fall off, and I'm aimlessly whipping my detector around. Most of my finds come in the early a.m., or mid afternoon, when I still have my full physical strength, and mental clarity.

Joe

01-14-2016, 11:04 PM
Three silvers in one hole, in a pounded location is definitely nothing to sneeze at! Great score! It's funny how we can pound these sites until there's no signals left that are worthy of digging, then you hit it at just a slightly different angle and BAM....silver!

RelicMedic, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Nov 2014.
01-14-2016, 11:10 PM
My buddy and I talk about this situation every other day, it's funny how that works.

01-16-2016, 07:42 PM
Great finds! Only had triple silvers once or twice in my 25+ years of detecting. Gerry.

Gerry F, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Feb 2014.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)