To cut a plug or not cut a plug?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
06-16-2016, 11:34 PM
To cut a plug or not cut a plug?
Quote this message in a reply
I read a post on another site - it stated that this person cuts a slight in the grass and then digs into the soil to retrieve the target.
Well given that the soil was so darn dry I went coin shooting and gave this method a try. It worked pretty well and it is doable. I cut the slight in the center of where I thought the coin was - but pin pointing doesn't always give you dead center.
I had to use my hand held pin pointer and that made things more easy.
The picture shows a bunch of coins and yes some were on the surface - so my screw driver just lifted them up no issues there.
I will continue to use this method and see if it really is better then cutting a three sided plug - but the true test comes after we get some rain....too dry to dig deeper then five inches.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Bigtony, member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jan 2015.
06-17-2016, 07:26 AM
RE: To cut a plug or not cut a plug?
Let's us know how it turns out. Good luck hunting.

updownup, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
06-17-2016, 07:49 AM
I usually let my pinpointer determine whether I'm going to dig a flap or not. I still use the original Propointer as they keep on ticking , so your results may vary , but if I can find the target without "supertuning" then the target is generally close enough to the surface to be recovered with just a probe. If I have to supertune the pinpointer then I will usually dig a flap that is slightly less across than the target is deep. 4" is about the max depth of a supertuned pinpointer so if I can't find those targets , obviously I'll dig a flap , but I really try to avoid really dry areas as you always seem to leave tracks behind no matter how careful you are. It also depends a lot on what machine/coil I'm using as some are dramatically better at giving you a depth reading. The Minelabs with the stock coils are the most accurate I've used with the White's close behind but Fisher and XP are pretty inaccurate(consistently at least 2" off).

Dusty, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Aug 2013.
06-17-2016, 08:29 AM
I cut a plug unless it's in the roots of the grass just under the surface. Then I take my pocket knife and cut an X over the spot and probe around until I find it. Dusty is right about the depth gauge on the Minelabs.

Congrats on a nice haul of clad Big T!

Ed

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
06-17-2016, 08:32 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2016 09:36 PM by Bigtony.)
Thanks guys.
I agree too on the minelab depth gauge.
Cutting an X - I'll have to try that method.

Bigtony, member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jan 2015.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)