Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
05-19-2015, 11:31 PM
What is a coin worth?
Quote this message in a reply
http://www.shorpy.com/node/5941?size=_original#caption
http://www.shorpy.com/node/5911?size=_original#caption

Just wanted to post this because I often think about the old coins I find and what they might have meant to the individual who may have lost them. You have to know that a quarter or half dollar back in those days had some real monetary value. Well I saw this and thought, "Wow, they must be working for a quarter or a half dollar a day." So I guess I'll have to give those coins a little more respect. I knew things were tough back then, but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Ed/ODF

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
05-20-2015, 06:03 PM
RE: What is a coin worth?
Yeah Ed. I think about that all the time. A penny, nickel, or dime meant alot to alot of people back then. Seeing those pictures really puts it into perspective. A little change was alot to them kids.

PittsburghWill, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"  Willy Wonka

I've lived. Not always well, but long enough.
05-20-2015, 07:08 PM
ODF , my dad is 77. He grew up extremely poor in southern Louisiana. He carved out a pretty good life for himself considering he only has a 6th grade education. Funny thing about him is , if you give him something he considers valuable or sentimental he keeps it hidden in a box. He has told me stories of picking cotton 14 hrs a day making a dime a day. He said he was thrilled to get the dime.

We have life pretty good. I always think I could use more but my life isn't so bad. Both my parents are still alive. I have lot's and lot's of nieces and nephews. I have a wonderful wife and daughter. I have three detectors and a lot of different detecting gear. All that's mentioned......that's the good stuff.

I have 3 best friends. Their names are Ace 350 , AT Pro ,  and a Fisher F 75 but I like people too.
05-22-2015, 11:10 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2015 11:11 PM by Ohio Dirt Fisher.)
(05-20-2015 07:08 PM)Kajunman Wrote:  ODF , my dad is 77. He grew up extremely poor in southern Louisiana. He carved out a pretty good life for himself considering he only has a 6th grade education. Funny thing about him is , if you give him something he considers valuable or sentimental he keeps it hidden in a box. He has told me stories of picking cotton 14 hrs a day making a dime a day. He said he was thrilled to get the dime.

We have life pretty good. I always think I could use more but my life isn't so bad. Both my parents are still alive. I have lot's and lot's of nieces and nephews. I have a wonderful wife and daughter. I have three detectors and a lot of different detecting gear. All that's mentioned......that's the good stuff.

You and Will are onto the perspective I wished to convey. I think that we have the same situation here sometimes that they did back then. But the photos now are prettier and the speak is more flowery/gadgetry. IMO it's smoke and mirrors. Have a great weekend both of you.

Ed/ODF

(05-20-2015 06:03 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote:  Yeah Ed. I think about that all the time. A penny, nickel, or dime meant alot to alot of people back then. Seeing those pictures really puts it into perspective. A little change was alot to them kids.

Ditto here.

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A Picture's Worth a Thousand Words NjNyDigger 5 391 02-14-2015 09:54 PM
Last Post: Detector Nut
  Sewage sludge could contain millions of dollars worth of gold bulletbob 7 822 01-25-2015 08:22 PM
Last Post: Ron (CA)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)