What is the oldest coin you've found?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-16-2015, 10:44 PM
What is the oldest coin you've found?
Quote this message in a reply
I'm stuck in the 1700's. Cannot seem to get a colonial copper, even though the entire northeast is swimming with them, in the right spots. My oldest are my real's. The earliest of which are late 1700's I believe. A colonial though (among many others) is high on my wish list. EastHarlemGhost who occasionally posts on here, and is an old buddy of mine, found an oldie from the early 1600's if memory serves me correct...maybe even earlier.

What about you guys?

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
02-16-2015, 10:49 PM
RE: What is the oldest coin you've found?
Cool finds for sure!
My oldest find was a 1762 reale with a hole in it and back marked BOND.
I had to donate that to the museum farm where we were hunting.

Bigtony, member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jan 2015. Took some time off
but back now in 2018.
02-16-2015, 10:53 PM
(02-16-2015 10:49 PM)Bigtony Wrote:  Cool finds for sure!
My oldest find was a 1762 reale with a hole in it and back marked BOND.
I had to donate that to the museum farm where we were hunting.

Was that the place in Fairlawn? I saw you guys swinging away that day.

Joe

02-16-2015, 11:08 PM
Nada! And if I did, I'd turn it into the local historical society after photo ops and publicity because it would promote detecting and actually prove there were people here in the 1700's. Which I really doubt, but some got here somehow and I've read the histories so it's fictional propaganda or true. They must have been trading bacon or apples or horse manure or something but copper? So swimming or not in your neck of the woods it's "Dreamland" in our hood. A lot of the guys along the first settled Eastern coast, of which you are, have so much greater a chance. And with all the silvers and IH's you find, I can't believe you haven't found a copper cent from that period. My Lord. They're as big as Cantaloupes. You must need a bigger coil. If I find something around the 1830's around here, especially coins, you will be the first to know. Until then, and sorry to be such a smerch, I'll keep swinging with the hope and faith that I may one day find one with the elusive mark of 17?? and prove to myself that they were really here.

Debby Downer Ed/ODF

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
02-16-2015, 11:15 PM
Joe, you spotted the club there and you didn't come over to say hi? No big deal but the Farm name is Garretson and yes Fairlawn. Several cool finds came to light that day.

Bigtony, member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jan 2015. Took some time off
but back now in 2018.
02-16-2015, 11:31 PM
(02-16-2015 11:08 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote:  Nada! And if I did, I'd turn it into the local historical society after photo ops and publicity because it would promote detecting and actually prove there were people here in the 1700's. Which I really doubt, but some got here somehow and I've read the histories so it's fictional propaganda or true. They must have been trading bacon or apples or horse manure or something but copper? So swimming or not in your neck of the woods it's "Dreamland" in our hood. A lot of the guys along the first settled Eastern coast, of which you are, have so much greater a chance. And with all the silvers and IH's you find, I can't believe you haven't found a copper cent from that period. My Lord. They're as big as Cantaloupes. You must need a bigger coil. If I find something around the 1830's around here, especially coins, you will be the first to know. Until then, and sorry to be such a smerch, I'll keep swinging with the hope and faith that I may one day find one with the elusive mark of 17?? and prove to myself that they were really here.

Debby Downer Ed/ODF

Well, I have found large cents, which are always welcome, but, I don't consider those colonial. I consider colonial earlier, say, late 1600's thru 1700's. Of which I've found nada, too.

Joe

02-16-2015, 11:32 PM
(02-16-2015 11:15 PM)Bigtony Wrote:  Joe, you spotted the club there and you didn't come over to say hi? No big deal but the Farm name is Garretson and yes Fairlawn. Several cool finds came to light that day.

I did stop by. Spoke with Joe. Very nice guy. Bob knows the story. Were you the one that found the plate?

Joe

02-17-2015, 12:29 AM
I haven't come close to 1700s.

PittsburghWill, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"  Willy Wonka

I've lived. Not always well, but long enough.
02-17-2015, 12:34 AM
(02-17-2015 12:29 AM)PittsburghWill Wrote:  I haven't come close to 1700s.

Don't feel bad. My saving grace were the reals. Without those, I'd still be stuck in the 1800's. I think you need to have Og start picking your hunting spots for you Yes

Joe

02-17-2015, 12:41 AM
(02-17-2015 12:34 AM)NjNyDigger Wrote:  
(02-17-2015 12:29 AM)PittsburghWill Wrote:  I haven't come close to 1700s.

Don't feel bad. My saving grace were the reals. Without those, I'd still be stuck in the 1800's. I think you need to have Og start picking your hunting spots for you Yes

Joe

Yeah that kid's smarter than he looks. I actually have a spot lined up if the weather ever changes. Should be alot of 1800s and early 1900s stuff to be found. I'd be real lucky to find anything 1700s without some traveling involved I think.

PittsburghWill, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"  Willy Wonka

I've lived. Not always well, but long enough.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is the oldest thing you've found? soilman 29 1,314 06-16-2016 11:03 PM
Last Post: Kajunman

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)