Wheats I don't want to dig!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
06-27-2014, 08:36 PM
Wheats I don't want to dig!!
Quote this message in a reply
Attempt to cut the plug, no solid targeting on it so you make it about 12 inches in diameter. But you can't, there are too many roots. Not big roots. 1/2 inch tops, some even just dead and in the way. Okay, make an outline with the trowel in the spots where you can get it in the ground. Take your handy dandy drywall knife and cut through all the roots all the way around the plug. Then lift the plug out. Okay, you are now down about ten inches. PP says its there, but time to cut more roots!

So after about twelve of these SOB's, four with wheats and 8 with nails, bolts and the like, in 86 F humid weather, after an 8 hour day, you go home and clean what you've found. Wondering what you would have found had you gone after all those iffy signals.

This is that lot the city foreman turned me onto Monday and this makes 6 wheats total for that area and I haven't even touched it with only under 4 hours of hunting. I dug all those plugs in a 10 x 10 foot spot. And there were more signals.Turned off auto sense at 26 sensitivity and put response to long. Then followed the whispers and forgot the numbers. This place must have had overfill at one time. All of these were between 8 and 12 inches. The 1939 at 12 precisely.

Going to a Boy Scout lodge that burned down in the 40's with a bottle collector friend tomorrow at 7 am. A short distance from the stables is your clue. Good night all!!

Ed

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
06-27-2014, 08:51 PM
RE: Wheats I don't want to dig!!
LOL,  gotta love those roots. ive been having to chop through cedar and oak roots as round as your arm, sometimes it pays, more often i end up pulling up a nice shiny little pull tab neatly tucked under the root.
i posted a killer of a root a few weeks back. post " root of all evil " it was a oak root that had grown through the hole of the pull tab, and around it completely hiding the pull tab inside the root. it was only 98 out that day. and like you the PP kept telling me, its in the hole dummy ...
as stated in the post ... the words where getting heavy and hot, I had a few nice things to say to the root ....
[attachment=2298][attachment=2299]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-27-2014, 08:55 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2014 08:57 PM by NjNyDigger.)
Ed, that place is an EXACT, CARBON COPY, of what most of my hunting spots are like. I can't complain, because there ARE great keepers to be found, however, it really wipes me out physically. I go home after some outings dead exhausted due to digging through rocks, roots, etc.,...in stifling heat & humidity, no less. Nothing old is coming up shallower than 6 or 7".

The good news is, you're really mastering that machine. Honestly, I'm surprised at how quick you're doing it, as most folks new to ML's (including myself) have a hard time 'getting it'.

If you're pulling that many wheats, there's gotta be some silver hiding there Yes Just wait for a cooler day, then go back and dig all those deepies & iffy signals Wink

Congrats on taking your wheaties!

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
06-27-2014, 09:16 PM
(06-27-2014 08:55 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote:  Nothing old is coming up shallower than 6 or 7".

But that's been where I've found all my silvers so far. So maybe they were missed, not that old (oldest merc a 35 and at 3") or heaved by the deep freeze. But I can now see where you may be pulling up those barbers and IH's with the whispers. It'll take me some time to get used to it. But I agree, they are there. If the wheats are there, then the silver may not be far behind. I have to listen more closely.

Ed

06-27-2014, 10:43 PM
I have dug in roots like that too.  It is a pain.  You know there should be silver around and you want to dig it, but the thought of digging that spot is torturous in itself.  I'm thinking you will be back there soon.

PittsburghWill, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jul 2013.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"  Willy Wonka

I've lived. Not always well, but long enough.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-28-2014, 10:32 AM
I am always digging through roots.. roots and more roots. It is very frustrating sometimes, but then you pull out something awesome and you can't stop.

I Dig History, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Mar 2014.
Can you dig itBeer

Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000 & Whites TRX Pinpointer
Mobius Action Cam
06-29-2014, 09:42 PM
(06-27-2014 08:51 PM)IndianaBones Wrote:  LOL,  gotta love those roots. ive been having to chop through cedar and oak roots as round as your arm, sometimes it pays, more often i end up pulling up a nice shiny little pull tab neatly tucked under the root.
i posted a killer of a root a few weeks back. post " root of all evil " it was a oak root that had grown through the hole of the pull tab, and around it completely hiding the pull tab inside the root. it was only 98 out that day. and like you the PP kept telling me, its in the hole dummy ...
as stated in the post ... the words where getting heavy and hot, I had a few nice things to say to the root ....

BONES. You should "frame" that root. I'm sorry I missed that post. If I found something like that I'd go completely crazy. But most of the time I'm in the parks and have to "Contain myself as a gentleman.", lest the little ones see a nutcase really go off and somebody calls the cops. At least you got some privacy. Well, the cottonmouths don't care.

Ed

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Finally a few minutes to dig some Sven TreasureLinx 7 672 08-28-2016 05:35 PM
Last Post: scott demont
  Silver 2nd dig Cladjunky 5 501 08-23-2016 01:01 PM
Last Post: updownup
  Little Mother's day morning dig. Found Jesus again. PittsburghWill 7 567 05-10-2016 10:41 PM
Last Post: scott demont
  I Dig Junk Sven TreasureLinx 7 798 10-28-2015 09:13 PM
Last Post: Sven TreasureLinx
  Dig it? deathray 12 2,846 01-07-2015 11:06 PM
Last Post: Ron (CA)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)