Winter Needs Chili!!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
01-01-2016, 10:02 PM
Winter Needs Chili!!!!
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2016 11:08 PM by Ohio Dirt Fisher.)
Quote this message in a reply
Okay guys & girls, I'm giving it up! I froze my arse off walking the dog twice today even being dressed like Nanook of the North and thoughts of a warm bowl of chili floated through what little gray matter I have left. I know I brought this up before so I thought I'd share it with you as all of you were salivating back then!

So here it is:

ED'S Sweet Chipotle CHILI 10-20-13

1 to 1.5#'s Ground Chuck 80/20 (You can used cubed chuck roast too!)
1 – 14.5 oz. Can Tomato Sauce (Sam's CHOICE was used)
1 – 14.5 oz. Can DelMonte Diced Tomatoes (w/Zesty Green Chilies)
1 – 14.5 oz. Can DelMonte Diced Tomatoes ( w/Green Pepper & Onion)
1 – 14.5 oz. Can Bush's Dark Red Kidney Beans (rinsed and drained)
1 – 14.5 oz. Can Bush's Light Red Kidney Beans (rinsed and drained)
½ – large Green Pepper seeded out!
1 - LARGE White Onion (softball size)
3 – 8” (+ or – ) celery heart stalks ( with the leaves)
4 - tablespoons McCormicks Dark Chili Powder
1 – Teaspoon McCormicks Garlic Powder (2 half TSP)
½ – Teaspoon McCormicks Ground Black Pepper
1 – Teaspoon McCormicks Onion Powder (2 half TSP)
3- Tablespoons Tabasco Brand Chipotle Sauce (+ or – to taste)
3 – heaping tablespoons of granulated sugar
½ – teaspoon of salt
2 – tablespoons of butter

Fixing the Meat Portion
-Cut large onion in half.
-Chop one half and add to a large skillet with melted butter. Grill to slightly burnt and brown. This is an important step in the taste process!
-Add raw loaf of meat to top of grilled onions. Season top of loaf with ½ tsp of Garlic, Onion, Black Pepper, 1 TBSP Chilli Powder and ½ teaspoon of salt (Kosher or Morton)
-Let cook for a few minutes and then break up the meat with the side of a fork to teaspoon sized portions (+or-). Turn the meat and grilled onions until done.
-Hold this while prepping the Pot fixings. Do not drain!

Fixing the Pot Portions (add all this to a room temp pot)
-Dice the celery, remaining onion, green pepper and celery leaf.
-Add the Diced Tomatoes (BUT Drain Water from both cans or you'll have chili soup!)
-Add the Sauce and the 2 cans of washed, drained kidney beans.
-Mix in all the remaining seasonings. Which are ½ tsp of onion & garlic powder, 3 tbsps Chili Powder & 3 tbsps +/- of Chipolte Sauce.
-Stir in the seasoned meat with grilled onions. Add 3 tbsps +/- Sugar. I've found 3 is just about right.
-Set pot on simmer, no cover or cover tilted to allow evaporation as the vegetables will saute' out plenty of juice. Turn mix gently every 15 minutes and cook until celery is blanched.
-Cook time 1 hour to 1 hr 15 min (prep time is about 30 minutes)

Makes about 8-10 oz servings.
Best with buttered saltine crackers and whole milk. Beer just doesn't cut it for me with chili!
If you need more heat just add 1/2 teaspoon of Ground Cayenne Pepper to the pot fixings as it doesn't hurt and gives it some more zing! Deb adds a sprinkle in her bowl and it's not bad!

Attached File(s)
.jpg  1451700143_Ed Sampling Chili.jpg (Size: 116.73 KB / Downloads: 16)

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
01-01-2016, 10:37 PM
RE: Winter Needs Chili!!!!
Lookin sharp there EdYesYes
BTW, thanks for sharing the recipe! Looks like it'll turn out pretty good! I'll definitely be making it soon, for sure. I'll let you know how it goes and I'll include some pics.

Stay warm and HH

Zachbl92, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum and detectorist since Nov 2015.
Garret At Pro(12x13, 8.5x11, 5x8, 4.5") Garret At Pinpointer, GG original headphones, Predator Piranha/Little Eagle T shovel, Lesche hand digger.
Button Count FTY: Lost count
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Ed, for an Italian, I have the WORST patience for cooking. It's a sin, I know. And I hate cleaning, so that's another angle. But that one sounds real good, and just might give it a try!

Who's a better cook, you or the missus?

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
01-03-2016, 12:56 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2016 03:16 PM by updownup.)
Thanks for this Chili recipe. Ed is sounds Delicious, well written too. Have to pick up some of the spices and give it a try.

updownup, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
01-03-2016, 02:44 PM
Hello Ed: These food threads by you and Zach have gotten me into cooking mode. Made a big pot of veggie/beef/chicken soup today. Cooked all morning til it resembled a stew, which we southerners crave. From the pic, it looks like you and I get a full serving from all the sampling we do. I'll try your recipe soon, thanks.

shadeseeker, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Oct 2015.
01-03-2016, 03:35 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2016 03:41 PM by Ohio Dirt Fisher.)
(01-02-2016 07:15 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote:  Ed, for an Italian, I have the WORST patience for cooking. It's a sin, I know. And I hate cleaning, so that's another angle. But that one sounds real good, and just might give it a try!

Who's a better cook, you or the missus?

Joe

Deb is the winner on that one! I have a few good recipes like the one above but she's the real chef at the ranch! I call her Martha half the time! You oughta try her chicken marsala, it's unbelievable! But when she cooks the kitchen looks like a grenade went off, while I clean as I cook and by the time it's ready all we need is plates or bowls and utensils!

She however is always cooking something. Me, I have to be motivated. I'm a purest! Can of sardines, sliced onions, mustard, some rye bread and I'm good to go. Maybe that's why I hunt in the woods so much!!! Chuckle The bloodhounds will definitely find my ass.

Ed

(01-03-2016 02:44 PM)shadeseeker Wrote:  Hello Ed: These food threads by you and Zach have gotten me into cooking mode. Made a big pot of veggie/beef/chicken soup today. Cooked all morning til it resembled a stew, which we southerners crave. From the pic, it looks like you and I get a full serving from all the sampling we do. I'll try your recipe soon, thanks.

That stew of yours sounds good enough to pour over some fresh biscuits!!! At least that's what some of us above the Mason/Dixon line do!! Chuckle

Ed

MineLab SE Pro w/11" Pro, 12x10 SEF, 8x6 SEF, Explorer 1000
Garrett AT PRO, w/8.5x11, 5x8, Deteknix Wireless, RnB Recharge (2).
Delta 4000, w/8" concentric, 13" Ultimate, 5x10 DD.
Garrett PP, & Pro Pointer AT.
Leusch, Hori Digger (2), Sampson Ball Handle Shovel.
01-05-2016, 02:54 PM
Sounds delicious thanks

Bigtony, member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Jan 2015.
01-05-2016, 04:40 PM
(01-03-2016 02:44 PM)shadeseeker Wrote:  Hello Ed: These food threads by you and Zach have gotten me into cooking mode. Made a big pot of veggie/beef/chicken soup today. Cooked all morning til it resembled a stew, which we southerners crave. From the pic, it looks like you and I get a full serving from all the sampling we do. I'll try your recipe soon, thanks.

Sounds delicious! Take some pics next time and share it

Zachbl92, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum and detectorist since Nov 2015.
Garret At Pro(12x13, 8.5x11, 5x8, 4.5") Garret At Pinpointer, GG original headphones, Predator Piranha/Little Eagle T shovel, Lesche hand digger.
Button Count FTY: Lost count

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  For my winter friends bulletbob 3 226 01-13-2015 07:14 PM
Last Post: Ohio Dirt Fisher

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)