XP Deus vs Minelab Etrac

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find all posts by this user
12-27-2014, 02:37 AM
XP Deus vs Minelab Etrac
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2014 07:31 PM by Firedigger109.)
Quote this message in a reply
Hey guys, what's your thoughts on the Minelab Etrac on performance, depth, target separation, and hunting in heavy iron? Also which machine would your prefer?

CTX 3030, TRX Pin Pointer, and an understanding wife.
12-27-2014, 03:14 AM
RE: XP Deus vs Minelab Etract
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2014 03:19 AM by IndianaBones.)
I use an Etrac, i do well with it, but it can be tricky in the iron.
i have never used the Deus. only seen videos, the Deus seems to do a bit better in the iron, but never used one, i heard it has good depth. but i have also heard it has trouble in the iron too. so i think it is something i would need to test both side by side.
i think MRH has a Deus and a Minelab CTX ...
might be your best source of input from someone who has used both machines ...
here is a link to a post from MRH on the Deus Vs CTX in iron .
http://forum.treasureclassifieds.com/Thr...n-the-iron

Bones ...
12-27-2014, 10:27 AM
I have all three and still use the etrac the most simply because of the wonderful selection of coils available to it. Technically and ergonomically the Deus is the most versatile by far but the coil swapping allows the etrac to pull along side in that race ---with a 6" or 4.5 x 7 coil in two tone the etrac is very effective in iron if one runs slowly. XP really needs to show up with a 5 x 8 type coil for the Deus just for the really brushy tight places but it would probably cost $550 or $600 and I'm not sure they've figured out how to get all the workings in that tight a space yet , if ever.

The CTX is really the champ but once again the lack of coils at a decent price are the drawback--glad to see a good number of used units showing up at reduced prices.

Dusty, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since Aug 2013.
12-27-2014, 05:59 PM
If you're trying to decide on which one of these machines would be the best choice for yourself BUT you can only buy/afford "1" of them

you have to ask yourself

what type of sites do I hunt MOST of the time

and

what type of finds am I looking for (silver coins, relics, nuggets, jewelry, etc.)?

If you MOSTLY hunt parks, schools, fairgrounds, woods, modern home sites (1900 up to now), local beaches, volleyball courts, tot lots, empty lot down the street, etc. etc. = Etrac for sure

IF you MOSTLY hunt ancient sites FULL of IRON = Deus hands down

although - with a 4.5x7" DD Excelerator coil installed on the Etrac - you can hunt the iron when need be

so in essence - IF you're NOT hunting PRE 1900s iron infested sites 90% of the time or more - an Etrac would be a much better choice/fit for most

way more versatile with way more (and cheaper) coil options, goes deeper, way better target ID on screen, and is a SILVER & coin magnet

just my .02 after having had one (an Etrac) before the CTX I have now as well as a Deus (and others)!

Beer

MichiganRelicHunter, proud to be a digger since 1977
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-27-2014, 07:19 PM
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2014 07:20 PM by NjNyDigger.)
(12-27-2014 05:59 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:  If you're trying to decide on which one of these machines would be the best choice for yourself BUT you can only buy/afford "1" of them

you have to ask yourself

what type of sites do I hunt MOST of the time

and

what type of finds am I looking for (silver coins, relics, nuggets, jewelry, etc.)?

If you MOSTLY hunt parks, schools, fairgrounds, woods, modern home sites (1900 up to now), local beaches, volleyball courts, tot lots, empty lot down the street, etc. etc. = Etrac for sure

IF you MOSTLY hunt ancient sites FULL of IRON = Deus hands down

although - with a 4.5x7" DD Excelerator coil installed on the Etrac - you can hunt the iron when need be

so in essence - IF you're NOT hunting PRE 1900s iron infested sites 90% of the time or more - an Etrac would be a much better choice/fit for most

way more versatile with way more (and cheaper) coil options, goes deeper, way better target ID on screen, and is a SILVER & coin magnet

just my .02 after having had one (an Etrac) before the CTX I have now as well as a Deus (and others)!

Beer

I agree 1,000%. The Deus is one of the best machines out there right now, however, it's not specifically geared for finding deep old coins. It's an unlocker. Meaning, it's major advantage is being able to go into thick, carpet-of-nails, infested iron sites and to sniff out the good targets from amongst the junk. Not to say it doesn't get decent depth, however, certainly not on par with the Minelabs. 2 entirely different beasts geared towards different applications. If you're looking for balls-to-the-wall depth to find old coins in parks, schoolyards, woods, etc., get a Minelab. If you're going to be hunting heavy iron sites looking to pull out relics and coins that aren't deep & were missed by other detectors, get the Deus.

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
12-27-2014, 07:34 PM
RE: XP Deus vs Minelab Etrac
Wow some great info!  I swear when you start thinking about detectors I never think how the detector fits the places I hunt the most or prefer to hunt, and also the targets I love to dig the most.  Thanks guys for helping get the mindset right!

CTX 3030, TRX Pin Pointer, and an understanding wife.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-27-2014, 07:55 PM
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2014 07:58 PM by NjNyDigger.)
(12-27-2014 07:34 PM)Firedigger109 Wrote:  Wow some great info!  I swear when you start thinking about detectors I never think how the detector fits the places I hunt the most or prefer to hunt, and also the targets I love to dig the most.  Thanks guys for helping get the mindset right!

Everybody is always looking for the "best" machine. The Magic bullet. In truth...

There aren't any. There are a LOT of variables involved in the equation; what are you searching for, what is your ground like, how deep do targets generally sink in your area, do you mind a heavy machine, or prefer something lightweight, etc, etc., etc.

I always say a hunter needs 2 or 3 machines...

A depth unit, an unmasker & a beach unit. If you don't water hunt or detect the sands, you can cross off the last one. A depth unit & a quick unmasker should be part of every hunters toolbox.

This is why the CTX is a star. It does all three very well. It's main strong suit is its depth & ID capabilities, however, it's also pretty good in iron & is fantastic on the beach. It's not an unlocker IMO, but that it can do the three tasks all-in-one is its draw.

Just like a carpenter, it would be mighty difficult to build a house using just one tool. You need a different one for different tasks Wink

Joe

NjNyDigger, proud to be a member of Treasure Classifieds Forum since 2013.

[Image: image.jpg]
12-27-2014, 08:48 PM
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2014 08:50 PM by MichiganRelicHunter.)
(12-27-2014 07:34 PM)Firedigger109 Wrote:  Wow some great info!  I swear when you start thinking about detectors I never think how the detector fits the places I hunt the most or prefer to hunt, and also the targets I love to dig the most.  Thanks guys for helping get the mindset right!

MOST guys don't and then they go out and drop a $1000 to $2000+ on a machine that isn't even the best suited to the type of hunting they're doing, sites they're using it at, etc. and then wonder why they're either not finding X target/s or why it doesn't find X targets at X depth, or seems to this or not that, etc. etc.!!

I remember you now

you have the AT Gold and were asking about it VS the Etrac I think

and in that thread I stated that you should keep the AT Gold and get a dual freq. machine of some type

that's your answer

your AT Gold is your "iron sifter/site unlocker" so I'd keep it

and

get an Etrac for Deep silver/coin hunting in parks, etc (or CTX if you can afford it)

you'll have ALL bases covered at that point (and those 2 machines compliment each other very well) because they CONTRAST each other (2 totally different beast)!

Beer

MichiganRelicHunter, proud to be a digger since 1977
12-28-2014, 12:02 PM
If you already have the AT PRO,there is no need for a Deus unless you are a hardcore relic hunter. They both fill the same niche , and the Garret actually has a better vdi. I relic hunt with my son, he with AT PRO,and me learning the Deus. My son has 100s of hours on the AT, I have about 100 on Deus....but at end of the day,we have about the same amount of finds.

My empire of dirt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My opinion of my used Etrac Gerry F 24 1,227 12-08-2016 01:13 PM
Last Post: NjNyDigger
  Age of used Etrac Gerry F 5 821 08-30-2016 06:59 PM
Last Post: Zachbl92
  TO TRADE MY E TRAC FOR A DEUS? Firedigger109 12 2,424 08-24-2016 02:55 PM
Last Post: RelicMedic
  Question for etrac users Akronzig 18 3,048 04-04-2016 08:48 PM
Last Post: cookie58
  Major issue with etrac! Help!! RelicMedic 7 1,491 03-01-2016 01:53 PM
Last Post: RelicMedic

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)