Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: What is this??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello- Maybe you can help me identify these objects. NJNYDIGGER and I were out at one of our parks on Wed. and I dug these items. They were wrapped up in a black cloth and tied inside a plastic baggie. There are pins and 2 religious medals inside and buried near a tree. Possible Voodoo offering?? What do you think. Gerry
Have no idea, could have been an offering.  Strange
Those pins may have made a doll or a likeness. I think your Voodoo may very well be just that. That plastic bag. Does it have a clipping of hair or nail clippings or some other type of identification of the intended target in it? And that cloth may be a portion of the targets clothing.
Thats some creeepy shit man!
Badass find man.

I read a neat little book called The Urban Treasure Hunter by M Chaplan, and it has a fun, great chapter on ritual stuff he often finds.

I think what you found is a buried rootwork spell (hoodoo rather than regional voodoo)
-The coins are classic seed offerings. Literally seeded (buried) as an offering.

Both Hoodoo and voodoo often appropriated the catholic saints into their rituals...the two charms you found were of arch - angels.

History of Hoodoo
Hoodoo is an African American folk magic tradition that was developed over several centuries in the Southern United States from the cultural convergence of African, Native American, European, and Near Eastern spiritual and magical practices. It is known by various regional names like "conjure," "rootwork," "root doctoring," "working roots," "tricking," "helping yourself," "using that stuff," and "doing the work."
With the movement of emancipated African Americans north during the late 19th and early 20th centuries -- a period known as "The Great Northern Migration" -- hoodoo practices spread throughout the United States and, through cross-cultural mixing, acquired and adapted concepts and methodologies adapted from the magical traditions of other minority cultures within America. Hoodoo is now found wherever African Americans live, and it is practiced, with a greater or lesser degree of authenticity and respect for its roots, by a variety of Americans of other ethnicities.

While strongly aligned with a number of other African diasporic traditions, hoodoo is not a religion, nor is it a purely African form of belief, but rather it is a spiritual and magical practice. Most root doctors -- like most African Americans -- follow the Protestant faith. The combination of the culturally mingled magical traditions of African Americans with Protestant Christianity leads hoodoo to be seen as a form of African American Christian spiritual practice.
Hoodoo covers a variety of divination and spell-casting practices and traditions that have been passed down through family lines and from teacher to student. Although hoodoo varies slightly in style from region to region and family to family, there are common practices among the traditions.
Good info, Micah!!! I too read that book...many moons ago. Remember the part where he was walking in the marsh in Brooklyn, and spotted a dead woman's body, but, it turned out to be a blow up doll, lol. I grew up about 5 minutes from that place he was talking about (that wasn't my blow up doll, though).

Joe
I would have buried that right back where I found it.
Looks scary, you may be cursed. rebury it.
.....If I didn't know better, I'd say my ex-wife was thereChuckle
haha that's kol! seems to be some kind of sacrifice / ritual  Happy
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's