Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Interesting Piece
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I found this thing yesterday in the front yard of an old farm house on my road that dates to about the 1840s. It was pretty flattened when i found it and i tried popping it back out to restore it but was worried i might tear the metal because its not that thick. Anyways, I have no idea what it was used for and was wondering if anyone had an idea. I put the ruler in the picture to show the size of it. Thanks[/font]
Interesting.....could be a decorative "something" from just about any furniture item....my guess would be a bed-knob or something similar!!??
I agree with drgeorge.  Something along the lines of furniture.
....and ya' know, it's the kinda' thing when you try to fall asleep at night and it just keeps buggin' you......I think it may even be an old-old-old door-knob (???).
I'm inclined to agree with Dr. George and above as a furniture piece. Hollow copper or brass ornamental door or cabinet knobs may be the answer. Historically, and this is just a guess, this may be a very old piece which was once attached to an iron shaft. The square shape of the hole reminds of a carriage bolt. The ornate front construction doesn't look stamped, but somehow hammered. As hammered into a mold. If the underside rim could be shown in more detail, to identify the edge and as to how it was welded together, then if there is lead, that's the clue. The back seems to be steel. If the steel was welded to the brass or copper with lead, and the shaft was iron, there is a time period that matches that. Keep looking fellas!
Could it be a button with the shank missing.
(06-11-2014 05:56 PM)ARTIE Wrote: [ -> ]Could it be a button with the shank missing.

this was my 1st thought from an old button with the shank missing.
I was leaning towards button as well.
i have dug up several colonial era buttons that are quite large.
hope you get a positive ID on it, very interesting find.
nice job ...
Reference URL's