Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Chompers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The ocean gave me this a couple days ago.

[attachment=1728]

[attachment=1729]
Very interesting. I guess the salt water and abrasion must have decomposed the plastic teeth? I always thought the framework was stainless of some kind but that doesn't look right in your sample. Bet dr.george will chime in.
I was hoping with that patina, it would be silver. Have no idea though.
COOOOOOL!!!!!!
The "teeth" were probably eroded away--there is no actual chemical bonding between the replaced teeth and the metal (you see the system of meshwork and undercuts?  these ensured proper mechanical retention to the metal!).
Depending on the age of the denture the metal would be nickel-chrome, chrome-cobalt, cobalt-chrome, palladium or any other combination of above AND other metals (manufacturing secret!!).
These type of dentures (with cast metal framework) were made from the late 19th century onward--yours is prob. much later based upon the detail!
Great find.....though I don't think it'd be worthwhile to find the owner (even some older dentures have serial numbers in the framework!!),  LOL!!!
Thanks for sharing and
GL+HH!!!
And THAT is the beauty of having a dentist as a member!!! Lol. Good i.d. work, George, thank you Yes

Joe
(04-27-2014 03:53 PM)drgeorge Wrote: [ -> ]COOOOOOL!!!!!!
The "teeth" were probably eroded away--there is no actual chemical bonding between the replaced teeth and the metal (you see the system of meshwork and undercuts?  these ensured proper mechanical retention to the metal!).
Depending on the age of the denture the metal would be nickel-chrome, chrome-cobalt, cobalt-chrome, palladium or any other combination of above AND other metals (manufacturing secret!!).
These type of dentures (with cast metal framework) were made from the late 19th century onward--yours is prob. much later based upon the detail!
Great find.....though I don't think it'd be worthwhile to find the owner (even some older dentures have serial numbers in the framework!!),  LOL!!!
Thanks for sharing and
GL+HH!!!

Find the owner...that's too funny. Thank you. I was hoping you might chime in. It almost sounded like a huge gold tone when I found it with the Sovereign. Sure beats finding ketchup packets at 13 inches.Yes
Reference URL's