Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Short Hunt on Ancient Site w/CTX & 6" Coil
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Love that Canadian half penny!!! Never seen one before. Nice assortment of digs, Wayne Yes Question...

What was the biggest adjustment you had to get used to when moving to the CTX? The tones? Weight? Fill us in...

Joe
(05-03-2014 04:25 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Love that Canadian half penny!!! Never seen one before. Nice assortment of digs, Wayne Yes Question...

What was the biggest adjustment you had to get used to when moving to the CTX? The tones? Weight? Fill us in...

Joe

Joe -

the biggest adjustment I *personally* had to make in becoming a CTX user was the "menu" and all the different functions of it.

I was an E-Trac user so it wasn't a weight or tonal issue or anything like that - it was mostly the difference in the setup and menu change - it's a bit more complicated and confusing than the E-Trac's

but

it wasn't too bad having come from an E-Trac

now if you've never used a Minelab with screen ID and menu program (se pro, etrac, etc.) and you jump into a CTX - it will take a long while to understand the machine and all its functions (it will most likely be overwhelming).

I had a hard time with the etrac because the only minelabs I ever used were an Ex-cal 1000 and a Sov. GT for a summer (neither of which have screens) and operate old-skool with tone only and a few knobs.

The etrac and ctx are not beginner type machines and even someone with many yrs experience detecting can have a hell of a time trying to adjust to using one of them IF they don't have any experience with a similar machine

I've always been a Fisher guy more than anything although I have had Garretts, Whites, Tesoros, and the 2 Tone ID Minelabs mentioned but I almost gave up on the etrac after 40/50 hrs use because of not being able to "get it" but I stuck with it and after about 200 hrs it all started to fall into place and then became like 2nd nature

it's not like running a AT or MXT or F series machine or Teknetics or Gold Bug Pro or CZ or any of the more turn on and go type machines like that --- it takes a lot more dedication and effort to learn the etrac and/or ctx (same as a V3i) ---- they're not for beginners and not for everyone for that matter.

I had to use the ctx a good 30 hrs in the field just to start to get used to menu adjustments and operation and that's after having spent a good 700/800 hrs or more on an etrac

the plus side is --- if you do stick with it and learn them (an etrac or ctx) inside and out - they're great machines and hard to beat on many fronts (especially the CTX)  :-)
That's real good info Wayne and thanks for the detail. I've noticed with the SE Pro in all metals wide open how the machine feels through the targets with the numbers and depths, depending on the sensitivity and the related settings as to gain and such. Being that I came from a Delta 4000 and jumped to this machine I can see where your coming from with the jump from an E-trac. In some respects it's relative to the manufacture, as maybe a jump from a Delta to a T2 would be. But I can respect the learning curve though and this info is important to any newbie coming along the pipeline. I'm no where near any kind of perfection with the SE Pro, but in some instances can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's