Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Thurs hunt with NJNYDIGGER
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We went to our usual park and back to the general area where I found the 1891 seated last week. Hunted about 3 hrs but had to stop because of the high humidity. This kind of weather bothers me more as I get older and takes the fun out of detecting. Anyway, scored a 1927 Merc and 2 IH dated 1881 and 1892. Joe found a 1945 Washington and 4 IH and some other cool stuff that you can see on his post.
I'm also inclosing a picture of a button I found last week. It's marked "Lewis & Tomes" and "Extra Rich". As you can see there is still some gilding on the back. The front is plain and about the size of a dime. According to a website on buttons, it was made in the 1820,s and 1830's. Any add'l info would be appreciated. Gerry
That button is really terrific, Gerry...it cleaned up nice! I'm telling you, gonna be a good year Yes

Joe
Cool finds

love the button

HH
Gerry,
Lewis and Tomes backmark information - from 1820-1832 from Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons by Alphaeus H. Albert.
Great finds.   You guys are tearing up that spot.
Great hunt Gerry. Any day you come home with a silver is a great day. And the IH's!!! That button takes it though. I see Bullet hit the nail on the head. Great finds man!
nice button, were you able to get anymore detail?
(05-04-2014 06:08 AM)Boots Wrote: [ -> ]nice button, were you able to get anymore detail?

I thought I could bring out more of the lettering but the corrosion was very hard and I was afraid to try and remove it any further for fear of removing the gilt. From the info I got off the internet, it was made around 1830. Gerry
Reference URL's