Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Another Small Silver Ring
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Spent three hours digging holes and gave up on the site with only one zinc. Took a break and went to another spot. Spent 1.5 hours there with some clad, one wheat, which I haven't cleaned yet and this itsy bitsy sterling ring which I believe has turquoise stones. One of the settings and stones is missing and it was very badly mis-shaped and broken when I found it at 4 inches ringing a solid 3-28,29, - 4-28,29. I thought it was a silver dime before I dug it. Thanks for looking and HH out there.
[attachment=1812][attachment=1813]
Nice find.  Could have been a dime in a past life.
"Thought it was a dime", eh? Sounds like you are starting to get the tones down Yes That's why Minelabs are so killer...the tones. You're becoming one with your machine, young grasshopper Wink Nice ring! And stones, to boot!!!

Joe
(05-02-2014 08:34 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]"Thought it was a dime", eh? Sounds like you are starting to get the tones down Yes That's why Minelabs are so killer...the tones. You're becoming one with your machine, young grasshopper Wink Nice ring! And stones, to boot!!!

Joe
Yes but that first site I was at about killed me. I was getting 00-28,29, 1-28,29, the tones and some were jumpy and the numbers were moving around 5-29,30; 6-28,29, 7-28,29 on cross checking the target. I tried to pinpoint very small spots and dug, and dug, up to my elbow at times and nothing. Even to the point of leaving the hole open, moving the plug out of the way and re-swinging it. Some were the same exact spot. Plug showed nothing. Some I dug a little to the left or right. PP showed nothing in the hole or tailing. Except one hole had a nail at about 12" and another had a small what appears to be a gold plated button but to the side of the hole at 6 inches. That's still in my pouch with the wheat from the other site. Could it all be deep iron?
(05-02-2014 08:34 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]"Thought it was a dime", eh? Sounds like you are starting to get the tones down Yes That's why Minelabs are so killer...the tones. You're becoming one with your machine, young grasshopper Wink Nice ring! And stones, to boot!!!

Joe

Yeah , I wonder how they do that. Had a similar experience the other day when I dug a 12-32 (etrac) because it sounded so much like a dime at about 4". I was really expecting one of those giant pull rings from a Vienna sausage can and a zinc penny.Turned out to be a thin silver ring with rectangular stones that was folded about 90 degrees.
Dig them tones!!
Honest to God Dusty, I get so many hi tones in Ferrous it drives me nuts. It can't all be iron but three quarters of the time I can't find the damn thing, and the other quarter is nails or iron rocks. One today was a small brass nut about 1/8" x 20 at 8 inches. Sounded like copper or brass so I dug it. Sometimes it's befuddling, sometimes its' a no brainer. I'm beginning to believe the setting for audio should all be at 10 and the gain at 7 or 8 in my ground to gain more separation in the tones. There's big iron all over the place. In some areas I think they may have buried locomotives for fun and profit.
I'm sure pleased to see that I'm not the only one.......spent about 45min. digging a target (AT Pro) with a 90-92 reading.  Dug to about 1,5Ft and the machine read 81.  I even changed the frequencies (but not the other settings!!!)...no difference, same signal.  By this time I hit hard, packed clay which was murder to dig........all the while the pro-pointer was absolutely silent.  I marked the spot and filled the hole......if I have time at a later date (plus an energetic digging partner!!) I'll get back to the spot.
Hey Doc.... man, it's terrible about that. I just hope you don't find that little something that'll blow your face, (head, upper torso) off, like an old un-exploded Howitzer round. My limit is fingertips to elbow. If I can't find it after that, I leave it for the future Archaeologists of America. Crap, George, you don't know what you'll find out there. You've found a lot of really great stuff. But sheesh George, old tin beer cans and 20d nails here at 12" don't go "BOOM" when you'd least expect it. Please be careful out there. I wanna go hunt Ashtabula County someday! And treat you to some of our local Hungarian and Polish sausage at dinner. I don't call my girlfriend/wife my Hungarian dumpling for nothing you know!
(05-05-2014 06:58 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Doc.... man, it's terrible about that. I just hope you don't find that little something that'll blow your face, (head, upper torso) off, like an old un-exploded Howitzer round. My limit is fingertips to elbow. If I can't find it after that, I leave it for the future Archaeologists of America. Crap, George, you don't know what you'll find out there. You've found a lot of really great stuff. But sheesh George, old tin beer cans and 20d nails here at 12" don't go "BOOM" when you'd least expect it. Please be careful out there. I wanna go hunt Ashtabula County someday! And treat you to some of our local Hungarian and Polish sausage at dinner. I don't call my girlfriend/wife my Hungarian dumpling for nothing you know!

Okay, okay, okay!!!!
I'll be careful.....above mentioned IS in a WW2 area, BUT most notorious for celtic (and OLDER!!) relics!!!
THX&GL&HH!!!
Reference URL's