Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Grand Trunk Railway
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After school on thursday i went out detecting in Newcastle Ontario in a historic part of the town. I didn't find too much so i decided to go down to the lakeshore and try my luck there. On the way to the shore i drove over the train tracks and noticed that the telegraph line was literally feet away from a freshly tilled up corn field. Thinking i may find some insulators on the surface of the field i parked the car and marched through the muddy field along the tracks with my detector in hand. I was at it for about 5 minutes and came across this padlock right on the surface! Ive always wanted to find one so i was quite pleased especially since it was from the original railway company on that line. I slowed down abit after that and took my time with the detecting and found two lead and wire bad seals both embossed with GTR on the one side and one with a small local town on the other and the other one just had a 144 on it. I also found lots of miscellaneous bits and pieces like old door knobs, marbles, shards of aqua purple uranium vaseline amber and black glass, bottle stoppers and many other old bits and pieces. The whole time i was there i never found a singe insulator or even a piece of one. Anyways just thought id share my finds with you guys, i hope you enjoy looking at them. Electrolysis really took the green patina off the lock and made it look a lot better!
Great finds.  That lock is real nice.
Excellent find!

R&R locks like that can be worth some serious cash -- especially if it's a rare one.

Congrats and HH
That's a killer lock!!! GREAT find! Gonna make an excellent corner piece to your collection, for sure Yes

Joe
Love the lock dude.
Congrats.
Makes you wonder just how many are lying next to old railroads....
That lock is sooooo COOL!!!!!
Reference URL's