Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: would you trade $700.00 in silver coins 4 one 5cent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A buddy of mine found this coin a while back and wants me to trade $700.00 in silver coins,mostly dimes,at current price of silver, would you do it??????? Its a 1937-d three legged buff.
No way!
700 in silver melt is not only a much safer investment (but can really explode when silver price is high.)
One rare coin is only valuable if a buyer wants it in any given time.

Just my 2 cents worth.
I'm with Micah on this one.  Besides that, the way you pull coins out of the ground, you will find one anyway.

Either way, it's your call.  If you think it's a good deal then you decide.

Also, if you look at sold listings on eBay (not listed) you will see the values of sold 1937-D Nickels range from $300 up to $1300.  If you want one, you could probably get a better deal than $700.
Gotta tell ya, I agree with the others. I'd rather have MANY coins that could spike in value versus one. Also, speaking for myself, I'm VERY attached to my silver. Each one represents time away from my family, manual labor to dig a damn hole, etc. On my rarer coins (seateds, reales, etc.) I even remember the exact spots I found them. Point is...

I'm not sure you'd be getting the square end of the deal, Leo. If he's giving you a fair price on the coin, and he needs the money, why not just pay him in cash?

I vote NO Happy

Joe
Keep Stacking Leo! It makes a whole lot more sense to do so. I'll never let go of my silver coins while I'm still living. Never. The rings and bling, adios to them! The coins will go to my grandchildren. I just gave a 1 oz. silver proof Canadian Wildlife Series 2012 Moose to my 16 yo Grandson Sunday who knows what it'll be worth in 20 years as he collects Morgans as well.

The paradox of detecting is, "Your Sweat Equity is priceless and those coins cost you nothing!"

You Keep on Stacking Bro!!!!
As an ex coin dealer of 10 yrs but also current collector (have been for 35 yrs)

anytime you can make a fair and equal trade of "common junk silver" for a rare key date coin --- it's a no brainer

can you show a clear high res picture of both the Obverse and Reverse Leo??

The coin looks very nice but Grade is a big factor on the "trade" and your picture isn't high enough res or clear enough and I need to see the Obverse too in order to get a good idea of grade

I'm leaning VF from your current pic and if that's the case -- I'd say more like $600 worth of melt/junk silver would be a fair/equal trade but not $700 but I can't be sure unless you show both sides and in higher res and crisp/clear pics
Thanks for all the replies,guys, I think I am going to pass,now if he says $500.00 in silver, I might jump all over it.
Reference URL's