Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Three little Indians. Possible "Fatty"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hunted with Joe on Friday. No silver but found 3 Indians. 2 1906 and what I think is an 1863 "Fatty"?. I couldn't understand why it rang out as a nickel but the fatties are copper- nickel alloy. It looks "different" than the copper ones. I lighter more "iron" looking color. It also appears to be VERY slightly fatter. I'll try to get a close up and post it later today. Can anybody see the date? It looks better in the picture than "real life". Gerry
Yep it says 1863.  That's a sweet find.  I have an 1859 I dug last year.  It ID'd loud and clear as a pulltab on the T2.  My avatar is the back of it.
Lookin good, Gerry! That spot has been VERY kind to us Happy

Joe
(05-10-2014 03:36 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Yep it says 1863.  That's a sweet find.  I have an 1859 I dug last year.  It ID'd loud and clear as a pulltab on the T2.  My avatar is the back of it.

Thanks Will, oddly enough I couldn't see the date clearly until I posted the photo. Gerry
You guys are still killing me. Very nice finds Gerry! I think if I ever did find an IH, I'd have a heart attack. Location, location, location. Good post. They are still out there!!!!
Cool find/s 

always fun to find the old fatty's :-)

HH
That's really cool that you guys keep going back and pulling stuff. Now I have seen a lot of the Indians and Wheaties you two have been finding. What kind of soil are you digging in them coins are trashed. Here in Wisconsin they mostly come out really nice just green patina but we are mostly sand. If you get down to Illinois fields its a heavier ground and lots of fertilizer so they come out trash there two.
Mostly when I go to Illinois I hope for silver because all pennies and nickels are hard to date.
Good luck on the finds
(05-11-2014 03:05 PM)Steveo Wrote: [ -> ]That's really cool that you guys keep going back and pulling stuff. Now I have seen a lot of the Indians and Wheaties you two have been finding. What kind of soil are you digging in them coins are trashed. Here in Wisconsin they mostly come out really nice just green patina but we are mostly sand. If you get down to Illinois fields its a heavier ground and lots of fertilizer so they come out trash there two.
Mostly when I go to Illinois I hope for silver because all pennies and nickels are hard to date.
Good luck on the finds

Our dirt is pretty bad in most spots, Steve...very mineralized. That's why most of our coppers come out looking so bad. There are places we hunt where it's very moist/saturated too, and this destroys the coins, as well. (aside from silver, of course). Now...

It's not a blanket kind of thing, as some spots (far & few between) have better soil. So, every once in a while we'll pull up a great condition oldie...but, those are the exceptions.

Sand is MUCH kinder to coins, as you know. Also, heck, even an entry level detector can get serious depth in that environment...cause it's sand, lol. But...

That has it's problems too, as the coins sink more far & more quicker than other types of soils.

Joe
yea I hear you joe not only does the sand let the coins sink deeper but also the junk and the aluminum cans get deeper hate digging cans a 2 + feet
Reference URL's