Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: I Don't Know.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I found this a couple of weeks back and am still perplexed as to exactly what the hell it is. It's not magnetic. It's very hard although you can scratch it with surgical steel. I found it along the edge of a patch of woods where there was nothing but a history of farming. I think it could be brass, or maybe even copper. I doubt it's gold but if it is it must be real low Karat. I'm going to order a gold test kit this weekend as I've been putting it off for months. The photos are pretty crappy as I didn't want to drag out my daylight lamps and tent to shoot these so it's under incandescent Kelvin which I corrected for through my software. It's hard to see in the photos but on some portions it almost has a crystalline appearance but on other portions has a boiled melted look. I was thinking Iron Pyrite but I gotta do some research as I think it weighs too much for that. And there are no Pyrite deposits around these parts. It hit in the 1-29, 1-30 area and was only 6 inches down. I have it next to a Susan Anthony dollar for size that I found last weekend and cleaned up. Any of you guys know how to test for copper and brass?[attachment=1893]
I couldn't resist so I cleaned it up with vinegar and a toothbrush. These shots are out in daylight. Holy Crap, the sun came out!!!!
[attachment=1894]

I still don't know? Are there such things as Gold meteorites?
Here's the original Photo of it at an angle.
[attachment=1895]
Hmmm, you got me! But I'm hoping it's gold, Ohio!!! That way you can sell it for a couple of million, we can both quit our jobs, and then go cross country detecting together Yes

Joe
Don't we wish! Keep on rockin in the free world. I guess.
Have no idea either.  I hope it is gold.  That would be awesome.Yes
Hard to tell from the pics,but really doesnt appear to be gold. Have no idea dude!
(05-18-2014 10:25 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Hard to tell from the pics,but really doesnt appear to be gold. Have no idea dude!

Yeah, the more I look at it myself I think it's a chunk of bronze. I ordered a test kit and it'll be here Wednesday so I'll update after the results. But looking at it next to my HS 10K ring it's exactly the same color in sunlight.
Well shit... All the chemical GOLD tests are negative.... keep on swinging fellas!!!
(05-22-2014 07:32 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Well shit... All the chemical GOLD tests are negative.... keep on swinging fellas!!!

Don't feel bad, Ohio, story of my life, lol!!! Well, at least you had the GLIMMER of hope there, for a bit. Everytime we dig something out of the ground it's like buying a lotto ticket. Sure, most of the stuff we find holds no value except within the historical context (which for most of us is worth WAY more than $$$ anyways), but, still, the opportunity is always right around the corner for finding some ka-ching.

I've never sold any of my relics or coins, just the gold. I'm too attached to the coins & relics. However, I'm no highbrow. If I ever found a valuable hoard or cache worth hundreds of thousands or millions, I'd be an idiot NOT to sell Yes Of course, I'd definitely keep a few pieces as keepsakes for my memories, and to leave to my son.

Joe
Ditto is the word. The word is the bird!
Reference URL's