Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: ggg
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi everyone jimmyb NZ just joined!

I hunt with the ATpro and gold bug pro in nz.
Welcome aboard!!! What kind of hunting do you do? We LOVE seeing finds from far away places, so, make sure to post some cool stuff for us to enjoy Yes

Joe
Welcome Jimmyb I am from Wisconsin USA
hi guys I hunt mostly parks .I did have a go at beach detecting for about 2 months but gave up after 60 or so hours with not much to show for it + all the same old questions from beach goersHappy.. people don't come up to you as much in the parks especially when you wear a balaclava lol  Yawn
(05-20-2014 01:57 AM)jimmyb Wrote: [ -> ]hi guys I hunt mostly parks .I did have a go at beach detecting for about 2 months but gave up after 60 or so hours with not much to show for it + all the same old questions from beach goersHappy.. people don't come up to you as much in the parks especially when you wear a balaclava lol  Yawn

Beach hunting can be VERY rewarding, provided you have a few things in your arsenal...

1. A good beach machine - the 'Cadillacs' of the sand are the; Excaliburs, Sovereigns & CZ21's. By far, most serious saltwater hunters use one of the above. The Surf Master Pro by Whites is pretty good too, however, from what I've read, the coil has a bad tendency to float...it's buoyant. You can also use an all-in-one machine like a CTX, but, it's a pricey unit. Safest bet would be one of the top 3 I mentioned above.

2. The BEST beach hunters know how to 'read' a beach - Where is the most sand being stripped? Where are the heavier objects being grouped in the wet? And a million other questions like this. This comes only from hard fought experience, but, obviously, it CAN be learned.

As a general rule, you'll encounter less trash, and your 'good finds' to junk ratio will be MUCH better the closer you get to the water. Working the wet water line is the way to go, unless of course, you're able to wade or go in even deeper...then, that would be optimal.

Of course, there's 'treasure' in the dry sand too, but, you also have to go through heaps of junk to find it. And, very hard to hunt the dry in the Summer when everyone is out sunning themselves. If you decide to go this route, virtually any machine will work fine, as it's just when hunting the wet sand that you'll need a specialized unit. Hope that helps Happy

Joe
Thanks Joe. I had a whites dual field pi and it was a good detector. It went deep...real deep but there just wasn't any targets to be dug..I was digging up 1 or 2 targets an hour and just not enjoying it...Like a job I had to go to at low tideHappy
I love land detecting, researching history and finding out more and more about my town.
I sold that detector but may get a excel later down the track for another crack at it.
Thanks for the infoHappy
OMG, Jimmy, New Zealand!!! Man, do I love the internet. Welcome from the North Coast of the USA, from my parts anyway, North East OoooHIiiiOhhh! Or the Buckeye State. Welcome aboard. Let's see some digs and happy hunting!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome!!
Reference URL's